UAB ready for who wants it more game at Neyland

Historically UT has always struggled with UAB
98 UT 37 UAB 13 it was a sloppy game
2005 UT 17 UAB 10
2008 UT 35 UAB 3 Tennessee only scored 14 first half points and struggled the whole game
2010 UT 32 UAB 29 in double OT

I'm not saying UAB is a world beater but at the same time UT hasn't been SEC caliber in a while
^This

I don't call scoring 14 in the first half and then settling down a curb stomp. I call a curb stomp coming out in the first half and playing like we know how, being up by 28, then starting the 2nd with 14 pts and then letting the rest of the team get time.

Don't get too snarky. They're back after struggling with Bama hate and pissed off about it. They're glad to be back and want to prove they belong. They have stood tall in past SEC loses, and even beaten some SEC teams within this decade. They will come to play with a steam shovel load of motivation and woe to the Vols if they think this is a game of pattycake and play accordingly. Wisdom says, remember Appalachian State, Charlotte, the Troy experience, Wyoming, Memphis when we had Peyton, and that UAB practically whipped our behind but let a last minute play choke them. Until we're the Tennessee Vols of old, we can't take anybody lightly. It ill suits fans to presume they can be all uppity and haughty just because we're playing somebody that isn't GA, Fla, or the Bama "bassards.".
WTF is a Rutgers? I lived through that debacle.

It's laughable at this point. People always bring up this game and a handful of others which represent less that half a percent of the actual games that are played between higher caliber and lower caliber teams. Yes, Michigan lost to App. St and there are a small amount of other upsets but for thousands and thousands of games the better team wins. Pruitt will have them ready and Tennessee wins by 21-28 points.
We have historically played down to the level of our Cupcakes. Not a majority but more that we should have by a long shot. I'd love to score every possession but I've watched UT long enough that you just don't know what team is going to show up.

I know from the tone of your post you'll probably be one of the posters on Volnation who will be pissed off when Tennessee beats Georgia State,BYU,Chattanooga and UAB:rolleyes: Tennessee will win 8-9 games in 2019 and there are posters on Volnation who will hate the hell out of that:mad:
Damn dude, where the **** did this come from. I challenge you at seasons end, IF we win 8-9 games, ANYONE that will hate the hell out of it and I will help you ridicule them.

Not at all. The tone of my post is to simply point out that this team isn't good enough to over look anyone. In fact the best teams NEVER look past an opponent no matter who they are. And the evidence of this exact thing is clear for anyone to see if you chose to rewatch the Charlotte game from last yr. We did the exact same thing and we nearly lost. So I would actually say the exact opposite when it comes to the "tone" of my post. I actually DO want this team to win and overlooking an opponent isn't the way to get where we all want to be. Simple as that
This was a major difference between FL and UT in the 90's. Spurrier overlooked no one. If he could hang 77 on someone he was going to do it.

Nah.... I'm not ashamed at all. You're a smart guy. You know what I was saying all along. I never argued that you were "wrong". I argued that a slim marginal victory against a cupcake team isn't a "win".
It's a W, but last years WIN over Charlotte didn't feel like it. Pretty ashamed of that game.

Have you always been as unreasonable as you are on this board? I challenge you to find someone (outside of yourself) that felt like a victory party was in order after the Charlotte game. Yes it was a victory on the win/ loss column but I promise you every fan of UT wanted to crawl in a hole just as you should have.
I see your point. Im not debating it. I'm man enough to admit if you're right. And you are in your own point, just as I am in mine. When we meet a non power 5 team that we are favored to beat by 20 yet only win by 11 (or 4 if not for a punt return) because they gave us all we could handle, we LOST.
Same group that raised hell about us celebrating after Vandy win with Dools.

Of course Charlotte is my "go to". It's the most recent example of my point in a whole. But yes you're probably right that it's more the fans than the players. But it does happen and probably more than we know. I mean after all.... the players are human too.
Or Candy the last decade. They should be beaten on the level of a Charlotte but they have been treating us like a G5 team.

This was a major difference between FL and UT in the 90's. Spurrier overlooked no one. If he could hang 77 on someone he was going to do it.
I remember a game they were beating someone 55-3 with less than 2 min left in the game. Whichever team it was (it was a nobody) scored with only seconds left to play and you'd of thought he lost the game. That's the kind of killer mentality it's going to take from coaches and players to have the confidence to beat teams like Bama and UGA. Are we there yet? No. But dammit we can start there by hanging 50 on these no name teams. The only way to do that is stop talking about BYU.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
You'd have to read the entire conversation to understand what my point was about but I'll sum it with a synopsis although it's already been squashed.
My original comment was to the likes of not talking about BYU or UAB just yet when have Ga State as our next game. The last time we overlooked someone we nearly lost to a non power 5 team we were favored to beat by 20.

I read the entire thread. I think I got the gist of it. I also provided an example about OU barely beating Army as I guess they overlooked them. Whether overlooked or not, most P5 teams should be able to beat those level schools even if they are going through the motions.

We didn't nearly lose to Charlotte. They hardly moved the ball on us all game. We got up 14-0 and they had 244 total yards.

Reactions: butchna
I read the entire thread. I think I got the gist of it. I also provided an example about OU barely beating Army as I guess they overlooked them. Whether overlooked or not, most P5 teams should be able to beat those level schools even if they are going through the motions.

We didn't nearly lose to Charlotte. They hardly moved the ball on us all game. We got up 14-0 and they had 244 total yards.
So 1 offensive TD to their FG. Without the punt return it's 7-3. Yeah it was a win and it was pitiful and embarrassing. I don't think you get the thread. We had two issues that game 1) we overlooked Charlotte, 2) our offense sucked in 2018. The point of the thread is that there is no proof of massive improvement by the O, so overlooking GA St could be a mistake. No one wants us to lose, no one wants us to squeak by, but people poo pooing GA St and looking to BYU are a little early. Let's beat GA St with more than 1 offensive TD before we talk about beating the crap out of BYU. Let's play all the games up to UAB before we talk about curb stomping them. That's the only point.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

Are you sure we didn't nearly lose? I remember them getting inside our 30 once and turned it over on downs or something to that effect. What if they had scored there? They were close enough. You realize without a ST td we only win by 4. If our defense didn't hold us in that game we certainly would've lost.
So in your opinion, you're saying it's ok to overlook a cupcake and look ahead to an opponent that matches up with you? Because that's what it sounds like. I understand it happens. Sometimes P5 teams get beat by lesser schools. Although any time I've ever seen an upset like that ,I don't remember any P5 team that went on to meet expectations. In fact I remember more coaches getting fired. Im sure it's happend but I just can't think of one.

And if that's the case we may as well forget about Ga State, BYU, Chattanooga and so on so we can start practicing to beat Florida. We may lose the cupcakes but as long as we beat florida, Ga or Bama (pick one because we still lose 2) we don't care what our overall record is? Idk man. The coach in me says I wouldn't go with that philosophy with a peewee team, much less UT.

The most important game is the next game.
Thank you! Ive coached football for quite a while and never even heard as much as a parent, that didn't even know the rules of the game, disagree. I can't even believe I'm even involved in a conversation having to defend that general rule of the game. Im actually shocked

^This

I don't call scoring 14 in the first half and then settling down a curb stomp. I call a curb stomp coming out in the first half and playing like we know how, being up by 28, then starting the 2nd with 14 pts and then letting the rest of the team get time.
This is actually a great point. One of our biggest issues with depth isn't talent. It's experience. If the offense doesn't do what it should do against these weaker teams the 2nd team will never gain the experience it should have over the course of a season which is CRUCIAL to player development.

How many of these people that are making excuses realize that had Clemson not put their foot on the gas EVERY game Kelly Bryant isn't at Mizzou? He's still the starting qb at Clemson if they only put up 20 points in a 20-17 win and Trevor Lawrence stays on the sideline. Clemson goes on to have a good season but highly unlikely that they even make the playoff and Alabama is your 2018 National Champion.

So 1 offensive TD to their FG. Without the punt return it's 7-3. Yeah it was a win and it was pitiful and embarrassing. I don't think you get the thread. We had two issues that game 1) we overlooked Charlotte, 2) our offense sucked in 2018. The point of the thread is that there is no proof of massive improvement by the O, so overlooking GA St could be a mistake. No one wants us to lose, no one wants us to squeak by, but people poo pooing GA St and looking to BYU are a little early. Let's beat GA St with more than 1 offensive TD before we talk about beating the crap out of BYU. Let's play all the games up to UAB before we talk about curb stomping them. That's the only point.

I am a fan. I can talk about playing Vanderbilt at the end of the year because it doesn’t effect our team. But the OP was talking about UAB giving us trouble. I guess we can talk about them giving us trouble but not talk about beating them because they are “later in the year.”

Georgia State isn’t even on the level of a Charlotte. Another point is people like to talk up these games like we will lose them, and a vast majority of them we win. Doesn’t matter by how much.

Reactions: butchna
Are you sure we didn't nearly lose? I remember them getting inside our 30 once and turned it over on downs or something to that effect. What if they had scored there? They were close enough. You realize without a ST td we only win by 4. If our defense didn't hold us in that game we certainly would've lost.
So in your opinion, you're saying it's ok to overlook a cupcake and look ahead to an opponent that matches up with you? Because that's what it sounds like. I understand it happens. Sometimes P5 teams get beat by lesser schools. Although any time I've ever seen an upset like that ,I don't remember any P5 team that went on to meet expectations. In fact I remember more coaches getting fired. Im sure it's happend but I just can't think of one.

And if that's the case we may as well forget about Ga State, BYU, Chattanooga and so on so we can start practicing to beat Florida. We may lose the cupcakes but as long as we beat florida, Ga or Bama (pick one because we still lose 2) we don't care what our overall record is? Idk man. The coach in me says I wouldn't go with that philosophy with a peewee team, much less UT.

Our first score was the punt return. Already 7-0 in the 1st quarter. You can’t take that off the board. Then we scored on offense to go up 14-0. We then missed a FG from 33 yards in the second half.

Charlotte had 3 drives of seven plays or more, one of which was their FG. They went for it early in the game and didn’t get it and went for it late and didn’t get it. That’s what P5 defenses do.

We have won 30 straight games against non P5 opponents. Sure it wasn’t a great game. But last year’s team had flaws on offense. I expect this year’s to be better. But I am not worried about Georgia State. We are in trouble if we have to worry about them.

Reactions: 08Vol
Thank you! Ive coached football for quite a while and never even heard as much as a parent, that didn't even know the rules of the game, disagree. I can't even believe I'm even involved in a conversation having to defend that general rule of the game. Im actually shocked

That’s totally different. You coach a team. I have coached sports too. But with UT football, I am a fan. I can talk about any game on the schedule without any ramifications. And we don’t need to talk about Georgia State. This isn’t hard.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Welcome to VN and the ranks of the negavols.

That’s totally different. You coach a team. I have coached sports too. But with UT football, I am a fan. I can talk about any game on the schedule without any ramifications. And we don’t need to talk about Georgia State. This isn’t hard.
No one is saying you can't. Just don't chastise the rest of us that watched that miserable offense last year and didn't see any earth shattering news cone out of the O&W game. You are basing your fanatic optimism on incoming freshman and JG making huge strides from last year. Excuse those of us who remain cautious.

VN Store

Back