Uab Game On Tv

OWB

Never
Staff member
Why would Mike Hamilton turn down ESPN's offer to broadcast the UAB game? I don't understand the logic of turning down ESPN so that Jefferson Pilot can pick the game up. Anyone have any ideas why he would do this?

Tennessean

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I understand UT's reluctance to play a sunday game. I'm sure there are problems created both in the downtown Knoxville area with churches, and with the fans going to the game being able to make normal gameday plans. But that is a holiday weekend, and you would think that if ever there was a "right" time to play on Sunday, this would be it...

Well, last year he did the Sunday night game and there were quite a few phone calls, emails, and snail mails from fans who either went to Church on Sunday nights or from the drinkers who were left without an open pub to prepare for the game.

Quite frankly, it's one less day to wait and that's a good enough reason for me. Do you think the answer may have really been from Phil? Anyway, go Vols and DO NOT overlook the Blazers.

I don't understand it myself. I would think with the possibility of a Heisman type year for Riggs Jr. It is crazy to not go for the national exposure. I understand that it gives the Vols one more day of prep for Florida, but does not justify missing a shot at a prime time game, and alot better(cooler) weather playing at night. It is a holiday weekend, so work on monday is a non factor. Only reason I see him doing it is to say screw you to ESPN. Sure Mike that makes alot of sense, why don't we see if we can HURT Riggs chance at making it to NewYork! :angry:

personally I could care less about Rigg's hypesman shot, especially that early in the season, UT will get plenty of national attention playing against the Urban Myth, and Visor Boy, and if we beat them and ND and LSU, Riggs shot will be as good as he'll get. Sun or Sat makes no difference to me either, but I do like the extra day before Fl better and as stated above take care of the Blazers first an upset by them would really be a tarnish on this projected stellar season.

I don't understand why Hamilton would rather have the game televised by JP sports than ESPN. I personally think it sucks. I plan on being at the game but if by some chance I can't make it I was hoping to watch it in high definition on ESPN. Besides I live in Kentucky and I don't know that JP will show the UT game here they might pick some other schools to broadcast from the SEC.

Do you think he passed on this one to get a better game televised on ESPN later in the year??? Maybe he was thinking that they would pick up a midseason game instead of the opener?????

Originally posted by VOLracerx@Jun 2, 2005 12:52 PM
Do you think he passed on this one to get a better game televised on ESPN later in the year??? Maybe he was thinking that they would pick up a midseason game instead of the opener?????
[snapback]100183[/snapback]​

Maybe, which game would they pick up?

Ole Miss Maybe???? I can't remember what games have already been picked and by whom but it would make sense that he would rather have his SEC games on big networks instead of Jefferson Pile of S*%& - just a thought. I just thought that JP got what was left when ESPN and CBS got finished and maybe this is Mike's way of taking care of that on the front end???

I don't care abou twho televises what.. Just win the game UT... Forget the politics, forget the Heisman, forget the Rankings, and go out there with the attitude that you have to prove UT is the best damn football team in the Nation. FORGET THE HYPE!!

Originally posted by shodges119@Jun 2, 2005 1:27 PM
I don't care abou twho televises what.. Just win the game UT... Forget the politics, forget the Heisman, forget the Rankings, and go out there with the attitude that you have to prove UT is the best damn football team in the Nation.  FORGET THE HYPE!!
[snapback]100190[/snapback]​

True. Actually, the team might play a little better not being on ESPN too. Take away from the first game jitters a bit..

How do we know ESPN even offered to televise the opener this year? The article just said "With ESPN out of the picture..." They might not have even offered this year.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 2, 2005 12:29 PM
True.  Actually, the team might play a little better not being on ESPN too.  Take away from the first game jitters a bit..
[snapback]100191[/snapback]​

Absolutely,
As much as I love to see Tennessee picked #1 or 2 all over the magazine racks. I can't help but think that these kids are young!!! And will start believe they are owed a Bowl Game or High Ranking. Get out there and EARN that spot. Make the the BCS look at what happened to Auburn and the debacle of a MNC Game with Oklahoma. Don't give them one doubt. Because UT is TOO GOOD at looking past opponents when ranked high. Memphis almost got us in 99. LSU busted a National Championship Dream in the SEC championship. We WERE the better team. Matt Mauck is not Michael Vick.. Why did we let him have a Vick Game. We let up when Rohan Davey when down and assumed we were playing VT in the MNC. We choked and FSU played VT and beat them.. The same FSU -Warrick we busted the year before. TN could've and should've been Back to back champs.. Go figure we come out ranked high and players crap the bed with it.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jun 2, 2005 1:33 PM
How do we know ESPN even offered to televise the opener this year? The article just said "With ESPN out of the picture..." They might not have even offered this year.
[snapback]100194[/snapback]​

:shakehead: "UAB on TV: Hamilton has declined a request by ESPN to move TennesseeÂ’s Sept. 3 opener with Alabama-Birmingham to a Sunday night game." :p

Originally posted by volmanjr@Jun 2, 2005 1:21 PM
its ok LIO you're on vacation!
[snapback]100214[/snapback]​

Thats what I was thinking too............she has her mind on other things!!! :lol:

First, I seriously doubt Riggs has any chance at the Heisman trophy. Secondly, I doubt Hamilton was trying to offend anyone personally. After last year's bitching from the Sunday night church crowd, he did the conservative thing and took the Saturday offer. See what happens when you complain? The guy actually does something...now everyone's pissed....go figure

Mike Hamilton is a PUTZ! he needs to be shown the Tennessee State Line!

1. Turned down ESPN for UK game
2. Handling of the Basketball coaching fiasco
3. The lame secondary logos
4. Turning down ESPN for UAB game

and the Athletic Dept has budget problems. Hey Putz don't complain to me any more about the AD's money problems!

Originally posted by Vol67@Jun 2, 2005 6:08 PM
Mike Hamilton is a PUTZ! he needs to be shown the Tennessee State Line!

1. Turned down ESPN for UK game
2. Handling of the Basketball coaching fiasco
3. The lame secondary logos
4. Turning down ESPN for UAB game

and the Athletic Dept has budget problems. Hey Putz don't complain to me any more about the AD's money problems!
[snapback]100262[/snapback]​

Don't look now but it looks like he is getting a raise.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...421/1345/SPORTS

1 and 4 were both good decisions.

Turning down ESPN for last year's UK game kept the game from being played at night in late November. It was cold and rainy enough during the day. A night game would have been awful. It obviously did not hurt Tennessee in recruiting, so what's with the beef?

Turning down ESPN for the UAB game was because ESPN only wanted Tennessee to play it on Sunday. It is a major undertaking for not only the University, but the city of Knoxville to move the game to Sunday. The fireworks that Knoxville has on that weekend have to be moved and the athletic department has to pay the city to move all the festivities.

Not real sure what he did so wrong with the basketball coaching situation. He didn't exactly treat Buzz with the upmost respect, which I regret, however he got probably the best man that truly was avaiilable in Bruce Pearl.

Lastly, as for the logos, as "lame" as you think they are, it is interesting that you have them in your signature. Alot of people's problems with the new logos is that they don't understand them. Alot of people don't know that the "puppy logos" are for the children's line of clothing only. The growling Smokey may not be what some people had in mind, but it is alot better than the bored, moping Smokey that they replaced.

I understand some people just have to always have problems with coaches or AD's, but I think that Hamilton has done a pretty darn good job so far.

And what about the Davy Crockett they replaced?
What about the Money ESPN pays when they are already whining about money
What about that weekend is also Labor Day weekend and the undertaking isn't all that much.
The way he handled everything was bad from the beginning.

Bad decisions all the way around

Most of the season ticket holders I talked to would rather have it on Sunday night than Saturday Morning.

There are MAYBE 5% of people that associate Crockett with the University of Tennessee, and they are all over 40 I'm sure.

The undertaking IS a big deal BECAUSE of Labor day, and the Boomsday Celebrations going on in Knoxville.

He hasn't handled anything "bad from the begining" that I have seen, and he is MUCH better than turncoat Dickey.

He IS the AD, and he says that it is rougher on the fans to play on Sunday, and I agree. Unless you are one of the oldtimers that sit on their hands all season long and bitch about how Fulmer isn't Johnny, or you are someone that doesn't HAVE to work for a living, then it IS harder for you to make a Sunday game.

You've never had good things to say about Mike, so I don't expect you to start now, and you don't have to. You are allowed your opinion, and so am I.

VN Store

Back