UAB and Hurricane Katrina

Blazer85

Unfortunately, the game has lost some of the fervor as a result of Katrina. Many of our fans will likely be staying home in order to attempt to track down relatives still missing or spend time with refugees that are staying with them here in Birmingham. Already are several UAB fans trying to sell their tickets. Many of our players have family from south Alabama and south Mississippi so many of them will be playing with heavy hearts. UAB will be one of the schools getting the largest numbers of transfers from various New Orleans universities. UAB women's soccer team in fact will be helping to pay for Tulane's women's soccer team to come stay at UAB and use our facilities. The same will likely be offered to other New Orleans universities and their athletic teams. The UAB campus didnt suffer a whole lot of damage, but classes were cancelled for part of Monday and part of Tuesday because of power outages and traffic lights malfunctioning. Certainly no where near that experienced in central and southern Mississippi or that which has been experienced in Louisiana, but this game has taken on much less importance and there have been alot of distractions the past week or so. Hopefully our players will be able to forget about the situation temporarily and really focus on the game.

Sorry to hear it, Blazer...

Although I think the game will be important, as a showing of ability to continue living even in the face of natural disaster.

All of my prayers are with all ya'll who have suffered from Katrina...

Thanks, guys. Many of our fans are also concerned about making the drive up to Knoxville and not being able to find gas. We're certainly having some major gas shortages in the Birmingham area and have heard that East Tenn. is experiencing something similar. It would be terrible for all those UAB fans to drive up there and then have no way back because none of the gas stations have gas.

In Chattanooga, I haven't seen any shortages; just prices spiked around $3 a gallon.

Our prayers are with ya'll.

Gas available everywhere here in God's country. It ain't cheap, but it's here.

It may be more available there than here then. I live in a suburb of a suburb of Birmingham and we have about 4 gas stations (3 of which are totally out of gas). The only one with gas available is right at $3.

Originally posted by Blazer85@Sep 2, 2005 11:38 AM
It may be more available there than here then.  I live in a suburb of a suburb of Birmingham and we have about 4 gas stations (3 of which are totally out of gas).  The only one with gas available is right at $3.
[snapback]134340[/snapback]​

You are correct Blazer. Gas supply is terrible here in Vestavia. You can buy Super Premium for an arm and a leg. I'm kinda glad I didn't plan on going to the UAB game.

My g/f just made the drive from B'ham safe and sound, no problems. I don't see anything to worry about except the sheer expense of gas. She said that B'ham didn't really get hit that hard... no worse than a big thunderstorm anyway. In fact she was all the way to Oxmoor Rd. (she lives in Pelham) on Tuesday before she heard that classes were out until noon.

My heart goes out to all of the people in that area at this time every night before I go to bed I pray that they will be alright...........It really saddened me that this happen to them........But they should remember that it is all way darkes before the dawn............God has not turned his back on them this will only make them stronger........May God bless each and everyone of them...............

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Sep 2, 2005 1:24 PM
You are correct Blazer.  Gas supply is terrible here in Vestavia.  You can buy Super Premium for an arm and a leg.  I'm kinda glad I didn't plan on going to the UAB game.
[snapback]134391[/snapback]​

I wish I could have gone to the game :ermm: but I filled up my car the other day at 2.89!!! Now I here it's over 3 bucks and only one gas station was out that I saw.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Sep 2, 2005 1:24 PM
You are correct Blazer.  Gas supply is terrible here in Vestavia.  You can buy Super Premium for an arm and a leg.  I'm kinda glad I didn't plan on going to the UAB game.
[snapback]134391[/snapback]​

I've noticed about a 20 cent increase in Hoover/Homewood area in just the last day. Thank goodness for the old company supplied gas card.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Sep 2, 2005 12:44 PM
My g/f just made the drive from B'ham safe and sound, no problems.  I don't see anything to worry about except the sheer expense of gas.  She said that B'ham didn't really get hit that hard... no worse than a big thunderstorm anyway.  In fact she was all the way to Oxmoor Rd. (she lives in Pelham) on Tuesday before she heard that classes were out until noon.
[snapback]134398[/snapback]​

About 250,000 people were without power in Birmingham from Katrina. That's just a tad more than your average thunderstorm. In the area around my home, we were much more affected by Katrina than even Ivan (as far as winds). We lucked up on the inland flooding aspect because Katrina picked up her forward motion prior to landfall. But no one is saying our damage here was all that bad. Birmingham is dealing with this in a more indirect way with lots of refugees staying at the BJCC, large numbers of new students, gas prices/supply, and large numbers of family members directly affected. Many of my relatives live along the Florida-Alabama-Mississippi gulf coast and, in fact, one of my uncles is now without a job seeing as how the business he worked for was wiped off the map. Just take a look at our roster and you'll see that we have ALOT of players that are from some of the most affected areas (New Orleans, Gulfport, Pearl River, Mobile, etc).

VN Store

Back