U.T. athletics ticket office incompetency! Does the product equal the price?

Today, I called the ticket office, with questions about my 38 year old season tickets. The female on the phone was not only rude, but highly incompetent to work in customer service. She couldn't complete sentences, did not know answers to simple questions, only spoke in short clipped one syllable answers, and came across as rude! This IS NOT a very good time for Tennessee to write off their most loyal supporters!

Sounds like someone use to "texting" and has never learned to talk in person....

Few things in life make me more angry than indifferent customer service reps who act like you are a burden to them

For the OP and all readers please consider this: calmly get their name. Now you may escalate up to their manager.

Industrial Psychology reports have shown that writing a letter to the manager is 10 to 100 time more effective than a call. Managers are busy people and it can be easy to forget a short discussion on the phone.

A letter in front of them delivers your message so much more effectively.

It's worked for me a number of times.

I don't think $$ spent is a measure of loyalty to a program. If that were true, we'd all be loyal as hell to Walmart, right?

No, loyalty is something different than that.
That’s cool and all but someone who actually buys tickets year in and out, travels to the games week in and out sounds like loyalty to me. I would agree though that’s not all loyalty is. I would define it as investing in a program in whatever way you can. Some don’t have the time or money that others do, some don’t have the proximity, I don’t consider them less of a fan.

Reactions: Hairy Vols
One of the most accurate posts I've seen on this board. Brings to mind an old saying about keeping your head up and eyes open because everything that spends life with its head down gets slaughtered and eaten. Social media is a scourge on mankind.
Can’t like this post enough. One of the greatest threats IMO as there has been to any generation. Social media is already weaponized to divide us and misinform us.

That’s cool and all but someone who actually buys tickets year in and out, travels to the games week in and out sounds like loyalty to me. I would agree though that’s not all loyalty is. I would define it as investing in a program in whatever way you can. Some don’t have the time or money that others do, some don’t have the proximity, I don’t consider them less of a fan.
Chad, I don't think loyalty has much to do with investing. Whether money or time or any other commodity.

Consider the person who never spends a minute on something. No time spent, no money spent. But when that thing, whatever it is, needs him, he gives his life for it. No hesitation, just surrenders everything he has, every single thing, for that whatever-it-is.

That's pretty clearly loyalty.

Next, consider the person who refuses to ever say anything but good of a friend. Even if that friend is hated by everyone else, and the person is under huge pressure to disown and disavow. But they never do. True forever. No time spent, no money spent. But that's still deep loyalty.

See what I mean?

Loyalty isn't measured by investment. It's more subtle than that. It can only be measured in words and actions when the commitment is under stress.

Given that our football program has been under stress for more than a decade now, I think we have ample opportunity to measure loyalty without ever pulling out the "have you bought season tickets?" kinds of false tests. I'd say everyone who continue to hold faith with the program, to show respect to our lads and coaches and administrators who are at the heart of it, I think all those folks have demonstrated great loyalty. That includes a lot of folks on these boards, and then a huge number more who don't even know this place exists.

I absolutely agree with you, I don't consider those who don't have the time or $$ or proximity to go to games any less of a fan than those who can and do.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbwhhs
Today, I called the ticket office, with questions about my 38 year old season tickets. The female on the phone was not only rude, but highly incompetent to work in customer service. She couldn't complete sentences, did not know answers to simple questions, only spoke in short clipped one syllable answers, and came across as rude! This IS NOT a very good time for Tennessee to write off their most loyal supporters!
Accountability in every aspect of UT football has been increasingly lacking for some time now. Don't look for things to change anytime soon.

Maybe making a mountain out of a molehill but I just think this whole program needs an enema from the bottom to the top. Too much entitlement and incompetence in several areas which need to be addressed.

She couldn't complete sentences, did not know answers to simple questions, only spoke in short clipped one syllable answers, and came across as rude!

Perhaps you phoned VolNation by mistake?

I keed, I keed

With them getting 'political' why would you even want to associate with them?

Chad, I don't think loyalty has much to do with investing. Whether money or time or any other commodity.

Consider the person who never spends a minute on something. No time spent, no money spent. But when that thing, whatever it is, needs him, he gives his life for it. No hesitation, just surrenders everything he has, every single thing, for that whatever-it-is.

That's pretty clearly loyalty.

Next, consider the person who refuses to ever say anything but good of a friend. Even if that friend is hated by everyone else, and the person is under huge pressure to disown and disavow. But they never do. True forever. No time spent, no money spent. But that's still deep loyalty.

See what I mean?

Loyalty isn't measured by investment. It's more subtle than that. It can only be measured in words and actions when the commitment is under stress.

Given that our football program has been under stress for more than a decade now, I think we have ample opportunity to measure loyalty without ever pulling out the "have you bought season tickets?" kinds of false tests. I'd say everyone who continue to hold faith with the program, to show respect to our lads and coaches and administrators who are at the heart of it, I think all those folks have demonstrated great loyalty. That includes a lot of folks on these boards, and then a huge number more who don't even know this place exists.

I absolutely agree with you, I don't consider those who don't have the time or $$ or proximity to go to games any less of a fan than those who can and do.

Yep. At this point, if you willingly associate with Tennessee football, pretty loyal in my book. So consider all of yourselves loyal to me!

Why? Is your conclusion that my connection to UT revolves completely around sports? Or that I should always agree with anything UT does?[/Q

Dude, it’s a football board.
You offered your input.
His reply was hilarious and intelligent.
Quit crying.

Few things in life make me more angry than indifferent customer service reps who act like you are a burden to them

For the OP and all readers please consider this: calmly get their name. Now you may escalate up to their manager.

Industrial Psychology reports have shown that writing a letter to the manager is 10 to 100 time more effective than a call. Managers are busy people and it can be easy to forget a short discussion on the phone.

YES...and from inside sources at major companies...major policies have been changed by the receipt of less than 10 letters. I've been told there's a formula based on the size of your customer base that translated how many people one letter represents...for some companies its in the 1000's ....that's why we see what's going on now with a lot of businesses nationwide...with some policies VERY FEW REAL PEOPLE would ever agree with.....now only a few care enough to write a letter, or even a call, or even an email. As a customer, I am extremely easy to please however I tend to see the bigger picture and if I'm CEO or VP of operations etc...I want to know these type of things before they overrun the company...and they will eventually...

I learned as a young married college student how to approach things like this with effect....I bought a bag of dog food from a large grocer chain, got it home and the entire bag was mold inside. I took it back and they would not replace it since I had left the property with it. So happens, a close friend who was in his last year of law school and his wife were visiting for dinner that evening. At his insistence we returned to the store where he handled it with precision. I'll never forget what he told the lady denying the exchange...."Ma'am I perceive you do not make enough money to hear what I'm about to say so you might want to get the person here who DOES make that kind of money"....she summoned the manager and the bag was replaced instantly. Customer service sometimes has to be "forced" doesn't it? He's now an Attorney General. Smart man.

I was having trouble adding seat cushions to my ticket renewal order and an agent named Maggie called me and was very helpful walking me through the process and answering all my questions. No complaints from me.

Wait until they tell you you can’t attend games without a vaccination card.

Sadly I think that’s where we’re headed.

VN Store

Back