U.S. Navy Not Fit For War

Franklin Pierce

'Every officer is up to speed on Diversity Training. Not so much ship handling': Scathing official report finds US Navy is not fit for war because of risk averse, politically correct, control-freak top brass

A scathing new report commissioned by members of Congress has claimed that the Navy's surface warfare forces have systemic training and leadership issues, including a focus on diversity that overshadows basic readiness skills.

The report prepared by Marine Lt. Gen. Robert Schmidle and Rear Adm. Mark Montgomery, both retired, came in response to recent Naval disasters, including the burning of the USS Bonhomme Richard in San Diego, two collisions involving Navy ships in the Pacific and the surrender of two small craft to Iran.

The report found that a staggering 94 percent of the subjects believed the recent Naval disasters were 'part of a broader problem in Navy culture or leadership.'

'I guarantee you every unit in the Navy is up to speed on their diversity training. I'm sorry that I can't say the same of their ship handling training,' said one recently retired senior enlisted leader.

45393303-9783807-image-a-15_1626187887517.jpg

A fire is seen on board USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) at Naval Base San Diego, July 12, 2020 in San Diego. The $750 million ship had to be scrapped due to fire damage

The report focused on issued within the Navy's surface warfare forces, as opposed to submarine and aviation, and suggested that issues in the surface fleet could be unique due to better funding and training for submarine and aviation units.

One of the key issues raised by the officers interviewed for the report was a concern that Navy leaders spend more time focusing on diversity training than on developing warfighting capacity and key operational skills.

'Sometimes I think we care more about whether we have enough diversity officers than if we'll survive a fight with the Chinese navy,' lamented one lieutenant currently on active duty.

'It's criminal. They think my only value is as a black woman. But you cut our ship open with a missile and we'll all bleed the same color,' she added.

One recent destroyer captain said: 'where someone puts their time shows what their priorities are. And we've got so many messages about X, Y, Z appreciation month, or sexual assault prevention, or you name it. We don't even have close to that same level of emphasis on actual warfighting.'

'The non-combat curricula consume Navy resources, clog inboxes, create administrative quagmires, and monopolize precious training time. By weighing down sailors with non-combat related training and administrative burdens, both Congress and Navy leaders risk sending them into battle less prepared and less focused than their opponents,' the report added.

'The Navy treats warfighting readiness as a compliance issue,' said one career commander. 'You might even use the term compliance-centered warfare as opposed to adversary-centered warfare or warfighter-centered warfare.'

Navy is in disarray and focusing more on diversity training than warfighting, report says | Daily Mail Online

I'd bet all of the armed services are in the same shape. Today's flag officers came in during the Clinton debacle, rose through the fumbling and bumbling of the Bush years then survived the destruction brought on by Obama. So the ones that made it above company grade are probably better politicians than they are war fighters.

I retired in 2000. Submarines. It was time for me to go. We were becoming less and less of a warship, and more and more of an inspection and PC platform. Fleet wide.

Talking to the few friends I have who left or retired after I did, it only got worse, and continues to this day.

First world problems of a country that’s safe and secure because of its Navy. When you are unmatched and have superior strength with no conflicts, problems like this become an issue.

Just saw this story on Fox. If something isn’t done, we will all be slaughtered or speaking Chinese soon.

Disagree , not from Chinas Navy or military anyway, maybe from their economic policies and goals . Geography ( two oceans ) and and eastern seaboard that’s guarded as well as you can possibly make it , makes us the most well protected country on the planet .

Just saw this story on Fox. If something isn’t done, we will all be slaughtered or speaking Chinese soon.

You don't think the enemy is getting intelligence reports to understand this? Trump was on his way to re-equipping the military to moderize it but since Biden was elected it's back to business as usual or worse with diversity training as priority 1, 2 and 3.

We have an officer (probably NCO) corp and a plethora of weapons systems that can't function without GPS. Think about that for a minute.

Reactions: CABVOL and AM64
You don't think the enemy is getting intelligence reports to understand this? Trump was on his way to re-equipping the military to moderize it but since Biden was elected it's back to business as usual or worse with diversity training as priority 1, 2 and 3.
He had 4 years why didn't he do it?

Reactions: lostsheep
Used to be called ANOC, if it's still MOS specific how the **** does that happen in a class of infantrymen?
It's us and 19 series now (Benning is now home to the MCoE -Maneuver Center of Excellence).

We have an officer (probably NCO) corp and a plethora of weapons systems that can't function without GPS. Think about that for a minute.
Whenever the topic of GPS denied operation comes up in tech meetings a bunch of engineers just look at their feet or their phone. I generally fake a must take call and run out of the room. It goes beyond military doctrine.

Whenever the topic of GPS denied operation comes up in tech meetings a bunch of engineers just look at their feet or their phone. I generally fake a must take call and run out of the room. It goes beyond military doctrine.

Take out or GPS satellites and we're done.

Reactions: CABVOL and AM64

VN Store

Back