Tyler Bray re-signs with the Bears

I’ll catch heat for this, but I think Tyler Bray was the most physically gifted thrower of a football I’ve seen at Tennessee.
Yes, one of the strongest arms we've seen in the history of Vol QBs, when he played it was entertaining to see him sling those long throws - and make a few, someone said a white Vince Evans,
how bout a white Doug Williams (who it was reported in his early playing days he could heave one 75 yards with fairly good accuracy)

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
That 2012 UT defense was wretched. But in a weird twist, the defense bowed up late against UGA, and Bray single-handedly lost the game in the 4th quarter.
I blame Chaney more than Bray......We had UGA's defense waiving the white flag in the 4th quarter because we had been running (as in not throwing) the football over...under and through their a$$es and had ZERO...NADA reason to have Bray throw his and Chaney's favorite 40 yard out....UGA picked him off twice and the rest is history. I cussed Chaney like a junk yard dog for days.....Chaney never saw a 3rd and 1 that he wouldn't call a long pass play.....IMO 99% of that loss was on Chaney.

I don't know but this tells me he's doing a lot of things right as a player and that makes me happy happy happy. For someone with "maturity issues" to have this level of stickiness in the NFL speaks to both ability and character as a backup. Good for him.

I just wish we could’ve seen what Bray would’ve turned into if Coach Cut would’ve taken the job.

I wonder if he could have played for Cutcliffe. If so, if Bray had been disciplined enough to listen to Cutcliffe, he could have been great. Bray would have either responded and been great or he wouldn't have lasted long at UT. He definitely would not have been allowed to act like he did.

As it was, his obvious talent was used to simply put up a lot of meaningless stats in games where the Vols were blown out. The few times, he had a chance to make a play to win a game, UGA, Scarolina, he either fumbled or threw an int. Sadly, those teams took on the work ethic and attitude of Bray and Rogers. Tough to defend a guy who didn't prepare for a game (UK) that could have put the Vols into a bowl game.

Today, I am glad to see him have the attitude and work ethic that have allowed him to stay in and around the NFL this long. Some day, I hope he gets the chance to be a starter.

No heat. You may be right that young Mister Bray may have more of that mojo thus far in this century. If you had been around in the '60s, though, you may consider Dewey Warren as UT football's most-gifted-ever qb. Read about him.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
People forget how good Bray was naturally. He never won any big games but it's a team sport. He very rarely played a poor game from my memory, he just had to play for a loser of a HC.

I wonder if he could have played for Cutcliffe. If so, if Bray had been disciplined enough to listen to Cutcliffe, he could have been great. Bray would have either responded and been great or he wouldn't have lasted long at UT. He definitely would not have been allowed to act like he did.

As it was, his obvious talent was used to simply put up a lot of meaningless stats in games where the Vols were blown out. The few times, he had a chance to make a play to win a game, UGA, Scarolina, he either fumbled or threw an int. Sadly, those teams took on the work ethic and attitude of Bray and Rogers. Tough to defend a guy who didn't prepare for a game (UK) that could have put the Vols into a bowl game.

Today, I am glad to see him have the attitude and work ethic that have allowed him to stay in and around the NFL this long. Some day, I hope he gets the chance to be a starter.

I think a lot of Bray’s issues were probably that he didn’t buy into the leadership of Dooley. I think when you have a guy who commands respect from the moment you set foot on campus like a Coach Cut, then everything and everyone in the building are on the same page . I think if Bray and DR had that sort of leadership they would’ve done some great things.

I think he has the record for preseason passing yards in NFL history. I think I heard that.
Is that like the minor league home run record ? Sorry but never cared for him or Da Rick. What's the old saying million dollar arm five cent head. But hey he's a rich man what else matters.

I went back a few months ago and looked at Bray's last year and we averaged around 32 points per game.....Scored over 35-40 a few times. Scored 48 (forty eight) against Missouri............................and LOST!! Scored 44 against UGA and lost...... scored 31 against Miss State and lost....scored 35 against USCe and lost....
Thanks for opening up that nightmare. I’d forgotten it was so bad.

Is that like the minor league home run record ? Sorry but never cared for him or Da Rick. What's the old saying million dollar arm five cent head. But hey he's a rich man what else matters.
Don’t disparage the great Crash Davis. Haha. Which is pretty much the perfect comparison for Bray. He needed a Crash Davis because he was pretty much Nuke LaLoosh . He had a million dollar arm, but a 2 cent head.

Reactions: VolNExile
Is it just situational with him, i.e., never got the right chance? Obviously he is talented or he would have never hung on this long as a backup. He has an arm, that's for sure!

He was at KC under Andy Reid for years. Chicago's head coach was the OC under Reid so same system

Bray is the ultimate system quarterback. He has made it 7 years in the NFL only because he knows one system.

As other have said, great work if you can get it. I'm still scratching my head how he tore his ACL a few years ago? Fall off the bench and land at a funny angle?

I think a lot of Bray’s issues were probably that he didn’t buy into the leadership of Dooley. I think when you have a guy who commands respect from the moment you set foot on campus like a Coach Cut, then everything and everyone in the building are on the same page . I think if Bray and DR had that sort of leadership they would’ve done some great things.
Brays only issues were that our defensive units at the time were some of our worst ever. If we had Bray playing as a Sr with this group we'd be favored to win the east. He's got some serious arm talent and a multi million dollar bank account.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It seems that if you keep a solid mental approach and can keep your emotions under control when you have to go into a game with no warning, and of course have solid talent, you can stay in the league a long time as a back-up QB. Look at Pat Ryan (14 years) and Bobby Scott (10 years). I know Pat Ryan made some solid bucks with the Jets behind Ken O'Brien and even started a playoff game. So good for Tyler. I think he's spending most of his time on the scout team but under the new CBA I think that's over $10 grand a week. When he's on the regular roster that goes up 5 fold minimum.

Reactions: volunator
Brays only issues were that our defensive units at the time were some of our worst ever. If we had Bray playing as a Sr with this group we'd be favored to win the east. He's got some serious arm talent and a multi million dollar bank account.
I don’t think those were his only issues, but I would like our chances if he were our quarterback this season.

He would have been more interesting than 3/4’s of the XFL QBs they rolled out this year. I’m amazed he’s made it 7 years as a practice squad guy.

One of the most frustrating Vol QBs ever. Million dollar arm, 10 cent brain on occasion. I think he and DD were a bad fit. DD needed him and Bray knew it. Bray felt no need to act like a leader since he had DD over a barrel. Poor timing

I’ll catch heat for this, but I think Tyler Bray was the most physically gifted thrower of a football I’ve seen at Tennessee.
I don’t think you should catch heat for stating facts. Everyone knows he had a chance to be one of the all-time greats because he was supremely talented but he just didn’t have it between the ears. He was too immature to be a leader in the SEC and we always had mediocre teams with him at the helm because of it.

GREAT News cuz I am a Packers fan and this will help keep da Bears in da Basement!

Great example of a kid whose attitude killed his career. Hope he understands he could have been a top pick if he wasn't so caught up with himself.

VN Store

Back