Tyler and the gang(LONG)

joeydupree

Colorado bound
Bruce is drilling the team in practice.:good!:
This is the time to whip 'em into shape. A week and a half between games, I'd say either we see a marked improvement on defense, intensity, and decision making, or prepare to be disappointed as the season goes on. We've got a few games to look at, with both good and bad to learn from.
Bruce knows what he's working with now and I would expect him to demand more from some guys.
We need Scotty(shooting 50% from 3, avg. 10 pts per game) and Renaldo(not off to good shooting %, almost 1 blk per game) to get off the milk part of the learning curve and get to the meat and potatoes. Not to leave E-Man out but he gives you what you want so far(all the hustle you could ask for in 11 min per game, 83% ft, 4 reb)...
The guys that have been here need to step it up, Wayne (10 pts, 7 reb, but too many t.o.'s, and not finishing around the basket) needs to go to work, he will be a factor in many games, just keep working. J.P. (11.3pts in 23 min just leaves you wanting more) Josh(efficient, 14 min per, 2 to 1 asst to t.o. ratio) and Brian(averaging 8 reb per, 3 of them on the offensive glass)have shown that they've improved and they need to be consistent as we will rely on them heavily down the stretch.
Bobby Maze. In 26 minutes a game, has a 7 to 1 asst to t.o. ratio, almost 2 steals a game and 8.4 pts. So far so good, he is held to a higher standard than the other new guys because he has been around the college game and because he is the point guard. He will have to be big for us when we get into these slugfests. With our team turning the ball over at such a high rate(17 per game) he has to continue to be solid and run our offense when we settle down in the half court. These are crucial possessions, the better teams that can, will play us in a zone at times. Unless it's just a good night I personally don't see us shooting anybody out of the zone. Last year Tyler was the answer, he still is but when he gets it in the middle he doesn't have the shooters to keep the whole defense from collapsing in on him. This is where Bobby has to be more effective. If you don't swing the ball around to get the zoners out of position you have to have penetration, Bobby, do your thing. Only problem is when you have the point driving to the lane somebody else has to rotate and get back on defense, we haven't done well getting back period. Whether it's in transition as I was just saying or in our pressure looks. That has to be corrected this week.
Tyler. In 29 min is averaging 17 pts, 6 reb, 4.7 asst, and 3 t.o.'s. Just don't force it Tyler. Too many turnovers trying to make things happen (which is forgiven considering all that he does). Just cut down on that, (as I think our whole team will, I hope:unsure: and if we don't:hmm:) and we'll need to get us a bigger band wagon boys. We'll improve in alot of aspects if we stop giving away possessions, especially unforced turnovers.
And I can't forget about my man Cam Tatum, y'all can't fade him... Ok, didn't forget, saved him for last because I believe he is the X factor. Maybe early this year he has gotten off because teams didn't know much about him. Fine. But Cam will be a very important piece to what kind of run we have. Period. You saw the Georgetown game, not to the same extent, but he got down on UTC, too. He knows what to do with the ball, it belongs in the hole. Plays good defense, too...

As far as the team, we're OUTREBOUNDING people! If we keep that up, and stop turning it over.. you do the math. 13 more rebounds per game than our opponents, look for that number to come down some as the season wears on, but I'm telling you, if we outrebound (just as Tennessee teams traditionally do) and not donate as much we can be almost scary good. Not quite North Carolina good, but on any given day in early April you never know!
This stretch before the Temple game next Saturday should be where the boys can really get some work in and get ready for battle. We don't get any time off the rest of the season. We will improve more during the season but this week of practice will be where our identity for this season should be stamped...

Last edited:
I didnt know if I should make this a blog or a thread, but hopefully it's ok where it is.
Thanks for reading !

Good read, Joey. I think this is a great opportunity for Bruce to work some of the kinks out in our game - and I think he'll get it done. I enjoyed reading about the rebounding as well. It was a surprise to see the end numbers after the Zaga game. We killed them on the boards, even thogh we did lose the gaem.

to be honest this team will not be very good.. they will get about a 8 or 9 seed in the tournament and lose in the second round.

I have to disagree w/ u a/b J.P. You say he leaves u wanting more. No, 12 points a game off the bench in 23 minutes, you can't ask for much more. Plus JP d has rly improved this year.

I have to disagree w/ u a/b J.P. You say he leaves u wanting more. No, 12 points a game off the bench in 23 minutes, you can't ask for much more. Plus JP d has rly improved this year.

Point taken.
J.P. is improved. He is averaging 4 boards, has 9 steals in 7 games, shooting 70% from the line...
He has contributed to our turnover problems, as well, with 18, (Tyler has 20, Wayne 19)...
What's wrong with wanting more? We're not where we need to be, some guys are gonna have to carry the load, he is one of them. As versatile as he is, I want to see him become more of a go to weapon. I don't want to take anything away from him, but how many of those buckets come from snow birding?
I could say that about Brian, Wayne, Scotty, shoot, the whole team leaves me wanting more...:good!:

I see your point joey, but Prince (other than Ty and maybe B-Maze) mas been our most consistent player. If he started, he'd put up 16 ppg. And w/ all the new players incorporating this year's team, this team has played better than i expected.

I can't get a good grasp about this team. They either have their A game or don't bring it all it seems. I want to see a go to guy that I know will score when we give them the ball. That's what I missed so much about Jajuan and Chris. We had an identity. We could drain the 3 ball but this team doesn't really know its strengths and weaknesses yet and that concerns me some.

VN Store

Back