Ty Simpson to Bama

When you get away from the mid state "click" of a bunch of teams in a small area, I don't think "playing with one of the enemy" turns guys on. They don't see and interact with each other socially very often and unlike the mid state guys who are often friends "they just know of each other". It would be more like "oh, that guy played over in Milan (or someplace quite a few miles away) maybe he will be a good player. Mid state'ers can say "yes! I like the idea of playing with my friend from ???".
I am not sure what point you are trying to make, but most of the news reports have this class in communication with each other.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
He will transfer out, after his sophmore season, and never set foot on the playing field, in a game. He'll wind up at Oklahoma or some ****. And win the Heisman, of course.

Bill Obrien is said to be bringing Bubba's offense closer to NFL where as the knock on Heupel's has been that the QB is very rarely under center.
With all due respect... I don't think that's the reason he went to Bama. Guys like Mahomes didn't play under center in college.

WRONG,, THE NCAA WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT EVENTUALLY AND IF A SCHOOL DETECTS A VIOLATION THEY ARE REQUIRED TO REPORT IT
Ok pal. Not sure if you’re naive or completely clueless but where do you think Pruitt learned to cheat? He cheated at FSU, Bama and Georgia. This isn’t an isolated case and hell even going back to Fulmer players got paid.

Simpson
PaAtt PaCmp PaYd PaTD Int RuYd RuTD
203 124 1888 20 4 311 7

2020: Led Westview to a second-round playoff
appearance in Tennessee Division I Class 3A as a junior. offense.

Horn
552 361 3910 41 14 162 2
Led Collins Hill to a 12-3 record and the AAAAAAA state final.
Passed for over 3,900 yards and 41 touchdowns in a wide-open, pass-happy

Sam Horn looks better to me

Last edited:
I bleed orange, but this is a business decision and he picked a better option than UT right now. Blue chip players will go elsewhere until Tennessee proves it can develop players, compete and stabilize.

I predict if he does go to bama, he will never see the field in a game. My thinking is that when it comes down to it, bama will pull their offer from him when it gets close to signing day.

He was going to UT if Pruitt hadn't been fired.

Well I certainly don't understand that move at all then. I would think a qb would much rather play for Heupel than Pruitt; much better chance of playing and Heupel has a very good reputation of developing qb than Pruitt does; who has a very bad reputation of developing qb.

Simpson made his decision and it's time to move on. After the announcement, I bet Heupel's phone was ringing with at least 2-3 QB recruits wanting to talk. Right now, the logical next top choice would be Horn, but I'm sure Heupel has his top choices. I doubt it will take too long. My only concern about Horn is that he is a very good baseball prospect. He could be easily tempted by a nice pro contract.

I wish Simpson hadn't been so fake about being a big Vol fan. It just makes him look really bad. But that's his choice. And Pruitt's firing had nothing to do with his decision. Don't kid yourself.

His dad is the head coach at UT Martin

Well I certainly don't understand that move at all then. I would think a qb would much rather play for Heupel than Pruitt; much better chance of playing and Heupel has a very good reputation of developing qb than Pruitt does; who has a very bad reputation of developing qb.
Kids want to win championships, or least have a legit shot. Vols have zero chance of even winning the east in the next few years. I’ve wanted to see what a fast open offense could do in this league for awhile and we now have at least five teams that will be trying to do it at the same time. Are there gonna be enough of the right kind of players for all those teams to do what they want and will it even make a difference when they run into the better SEC defenses? Ole Miss scored points and moved the ball but still lost five and now people know what they’re going to do. Miss State had so many issues that I don’t think we saw much of what Leach eventually plans to install. We all saw what happened when Big 12 teams tangled with elite defensive teams from the SEC and Big 10 in recent years. Heupel’s offense is definitely a gamble, and unlike Pruitt, he’s going to recruiting to a system and not building a strong foundation that some other coach could come in and re-mold (assuming you don’t lose half a class to the portal).

Reactions: overseasorange2
Simpson
203 124 1888 20 4 311 7

2020: Led Westview to a second-round playoff
appearance in Tennessee Division I Class 3A as a junior. offense.

Horn
552 361 3910 41 14 162 2
Led Collins Hill to a 12-3 record and the AAAAAAA state final.
Passed for over 3,900 yards and 41 touchdowns in a wide-open, pass-happy

Sam Horn looks better to me
Darn how many classifications does Georgia have? I guess everyone is in the playoffs there.

They also do have a stellar track record of setting marginal college QBs who are little more than game managing scat backs to be high draft picks and get a big pay day. Bottom line, their QBs get drafted and what they do once that happens is on them.

Marginal qb’s? Tua was a very highly rated recruit as was Hurts

I just do not buy the life long fan stuff. A life long UT fan does not go to bama. They go to Clemson or somewhere else, but not bama.

He's what, 17? Lifelong for him is a lot different than someone approaching 60.

Besides, this is not a just fan decision for him, it's a professional decision. At his age and what he wants do in his life, he is entitled to make whatever decision he wants and still be a fan. We got to, so should he.

Finally, for what it's worthy, feel free to make fandom decisions for yourself as you see fit, but you have no right to decide what other peoples fandom should look like. I don't let people like you affect me, but it is just a silly look for you.

Kids want to win championships, or least have a legit shot. Vols have zero chance of even winning the east in the next few years. I’ve wanted to see what a fast open offense could do in this league for awhile and we now have at least five teams that will be trying to do it at the same time. Are there gonna be enough of the right kind of players for all those teams to do what they want and will it even make a difference when they run into the better SEC defenses? Ole Miss scored points and moved the ball but still lost five and now people know what they’re going to do. Miss State had so many issues that I don’t think we saw much of what Leach eventually plans to install. We all saw what happened when Big 12 teams tangled with elite defensive teams from the SEC and Big 10 in recent years. Heupel’s offense is definitely a gamble, and unlike Pruitt, he’s going to recruiting to a system and not building a strong foundation that some other coach could come in and re-mold (assuming you don’t lose half a class to the portal).

What you have laid out is a reason for the Orange Nation to be excited about our future. We have a guy with similar offensive strategies to the two guys down in MS, but without featuring backgrounds displaying lack of character. We shall see if his relative lack of name recognition can be overcome as an obstacle in recruiting. I have to HOPE so because I personally would have thrown up if had hired either one of them here.

To the victor goes the spoils still rings true in the hearts of many kids who do in fact value starting out on top and that is OK. Pretty cool to be asked out to the prom by the prom queen. I hate that TY and his family did not want to be part of our fight to get to the highest levels as a home state hero, but it is time to move on and hope we have or are getting guys for that spot that can meet our needs better than he could have. That is entirely possible OR not. Better vision, a step faster, a quicker release, a greater ability take hits, or greater command of the huddle are all variables at every school, but some more important when your overall talent level is not at the top, and the guy we need may not have the same mix of skills that Bama is looking for. It is entirely possible that him choosing Bama was better for our program, perception of loosing the recruiting battle and all. It will be a few years before we know, when we can evaluate the guys we sign instead this year and/or next and we don't have to deal with the clamor of not making him a priority and loosing him. All we have to do is gracefully walk away. Making it an objective to flip him will cost us elsewhere. We are on the clock with our decisions at AD and HC with staff. The perception of whether we exceed expectations or not year one is important, no doubt about it.

I just do not buy the life long fan stuff. A life long UT fan does not go to bama. They go to Clemson or somewhere else, but not bama.
I could’ve just missed it but I don’t think he ever actually said he was a lifelong UT fan. He said Ole Miss was his dream school. His dad is originally from Mississippi

In 2020 Ty Simpson had less than 1900 yards passing, 61% completion rate, does not wow anyone with his arm strength, runs a 4.9, plays in class 3A, and is touted as a duel threat QB but he’s ranked the number 3 pro style QB. OK. 😂😂😂😂 If I recall correctly those are JG type numbers and we all know how that faired. I’m not concerned about losing him to Bama to say the least.

Last edited:
I've read most of this thread and it's a head scratcher.

1. While it sucks and I totally get it, you lost a recruit to Alabama. Welcome to the club. In addition, at this point in time asking a football player to choose Tennessee over Alabama right now is asking a lot. It's like having the option to go on a date with Genevieve Morton or go on a blind date.

2. The offensive system has nothing to do with losing this recruit. If the NFL is effecting his decision, it would probably be noticing the fact that playing at Alabama means getting drafted.

3. Recruiting is about relationships and the new staff hasn't had time to establish any.

All of that stuff sounds great when there is no consequence to your decision. You do the right thing when it matters.

Example: When the time comes this October, a lot of posters will pick Tennessee to beat Alabama because they just don't have the heart to ever pick against Tennessee.

However, if i take that same individual and force them to place an amount of money on the game (without a point spread) that would be meaningful, all of the "I don't have the heart to pick against Tennessee" crowd would place money on Alabama so fast it would make your head spin.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and nlovu
There is zero way in hell Campbell was going to come here. Freeze? Really during an ncaa investigation? Good plan.
The Freeze people are even more delusional than the “Bring Back Bruce” people. Hiring a guy with a 10 mile long NCAA rap sheet during an NCAA investigation is basically asking for the death penalty. It tells them you didn’t really care about Pruitt’s violations and only used them to fire him at no cost because you were dissatisfied with the W/L record.

Not a huge loss. We have a solid QB room for the next few years. I’m more concerned about the #1 guy in TN. That’s the side of the ball where we need love

VN Store

Back