'19 TX WR Jaylen Ellis (Baylor signee)

The Vols have focused their efforts at receiver on Ole Miss commit Javonta Payton, Knox and Curry, and a new name to keep an eye on: Jaylen Ellis. Ellis is a Baylor commit who holds more than 25 offers. Tennessee extended a scholarship back in May. The 6-foot, 180-pound is very similar to Bryce Thompson — a two-way explosive athlete who could play wideout or corner at the next level. The 3-star U.S. Army All-American took an official visit to Michigan last weekend and will likely make a trip to Knoxville sometime this fall.

- VQ

Don't know all his stats but he did have at least one long td in a tough overtime loss against the other best team in his district.

A couple weeks ago, we mentioned Jaylen Ellis’ name as one to watch and Tennessee has started to up its interest in the Baylor wideout commit. The Vols went to see Ellis this week and are pushing for an OV. Ellis is a fast, shifty playmaker (he’s clocked a legit 4.54) and the type of receiver that Tennessee doesn’t currently have on the roster. He’s similar to Bryce Thompson, only likely to stick on offense.

Hubbs

The three-star senior wide receiver from Cedar Ridge High School in Round Rock, Texas, said he has heard plenty from the Vols since getting a scholarship offer from them more than four months ago, and he’s now planning to take an official visit to Tennessee, perhaps as early as this month. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Ellis said he’s in the process of finalizing his trip to Knoxville, but he currently expects to visit the Vols the weekend of Oct. 20 for their home game against No. 1 Alabama.

“From one coach to another, I’m talking to them day in and day out. It’ll be Coach Pruitt or Coach ‘YAC’ — Coach Johnson — just talking to them, just getting ready for my visit that I am taking,” said Ellis, who’s ranked the No. 556 overall prospect and No. 71 wide receiver in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class.

“It’s really been the same thing since they offered me. They’ve always shown love, always showed that same love. It’s the same attitude they’ve had with me this whole time, and nothing’s really changed.” Ellis said Pruitt and Johnson have talked with him about “just being able to see the field early” at Tennessee, “and they say that’s going to be huge.”

“The SEC, it’s a mini NFL, pretty much — the hardest (conference), I believe, there is — just being able to be in that,” Ellis said. “I’m going to be visiting during the Alabama game. There’s no bigger game for them, most likely, than that game, so just the tradition behind it and watching two big SEC teams like that go at it is going to be huge.

“I’ve just heard about the tradition at Tennessee. You’re not going to get any other feeling (like) you’ll get up there at a game like this. I have a friend, his mom, she worked at Alabama when she was in school. She was a trainer, and she was like, ‘You’ll never hate a place more, if you’re an opposite fan, than Tennessee.’ She was just like, ‘They’re so true to their Volunteers.’”

Nearby Texas is among the other teams showing interest in him, and he visited the Longhorns on Sept. 15 for their win over USC. He said he expects to use his final two official visits to travel to Baylor and Houston, with both trips likely to be scheduled for December.

Ellis admitted his final decision could be difficult. “It’s hard, just having big programs like the ones I have,” he said. “Michigan was huge. That was a big visit. And Arizona, I loved, too, so I can only picture the next three that I’m going to, how big they’re going to be. “It’s going to be hard, but I feel like, once I take all my visits, I’ll know for sure.”

Baylor knows what good WRs look like.

Hope we can land this guy. We need speed, speed, and more speed.

"Coach Pruitt is always after me," Ellis said. "He tells me they need me because they don't have anyone like me. He just tells me what I can be in that offense with the vertical threat I already am. He tells me that I can do those same things at Tennessee. He tells me clearly I have something special."

Ellis has watched Tennessee enough to know that he would bring a different dynamic to the Tennessee offense that likes to take vertical shots.

"I feel like I can come in and be that vertical guy," Ellis said. "I think I'm more than that at 6-foo-1 because I think I can be versatile."

It's not just Pruitt after Ellis. It's the entire offensive staff including wide receivers coach David Johnson trying to flip Ellis from his current commitment to Baylor.

"It's the vibe you get up there," Ellis said. "It's the tradition that comes with Tennessee and how much I'll enjoy things when I get there. That's the first thing I'm looking for. I'm looking for that tradition and feel."

Ellis is a big fan of Johnson, who relates well to players and constantly gets the most out of the guys he recruits and coaches.

"He's never changed since I met him," Ellis said. "He always pitches me the same thing and what he can helped mold me into as a wide receiver and as a man."

The biggest question may come down to distance with Baylor being in his home state of Texas and Tennessee being a flight to and from the lone star state.

"It's going to be a heart breaker for my mom," Ellis said. "My dad is more you do you and whatever you feel is comfortable you do it. My mom wants me to stay home, but it comes down to what I'm feeling."

Ellis is coming to town with every intention of giving Tennessee a real shot to flip his commitment. He's taking visits for a reason.

"All of my officials are schools I'm looking into," Ellis said. "I've been to Michigan and Arizona. My next one is Tennessee and then Houston and Baylor is last."
-VQ

Khafre Brown, one of the other WRs they're after in this class, has also been timed in at a sub-4.4 40 and has a personal record of 10.55 seconds in the 100-meter. Both of these guys are burners, and I hope we can get at least one of them.

Visiting this weekend...

WR Jaylen Ellis

Ellis, a three-star prospect from Round Rock, Texas, has been committed to Baylor since June 2017. But he’s still exploring other options, including Tennessee, which extended an offer to him in May and has remained heavily involved with him since then. The Vols now are set to host him on an official visit this weekend, and he admitted to GoVols247 that the opportunity to play at a tradition-rich SEC program has caught his attention. Michigan and Arizona also have hosted him on official visits, and nearby Texas still could become more of a factor. The Vols are looking to upgrade their speed at wide receiver, and despite Ellis’ commitment to the Bears, he could be a legitimate option for them if they make a strong impression on him this weekend.

-Callahan

VN Store

Back