'20 TX RB Zachary Evans

You mean the same "bad" O Line that Hardesty ran for 1,345 yards behind? The line that included Chris Scott, Josh McNeil, Vlad Richard, Aaron Douglas, Jacques McClendon, Dallas Thomas, and the Sullins bros, along with Stocker and Cottam at TE? The line that kept Crompton's jersey clean - just over 1 sack per game?

I think it is revising history to call the 2009 line "bad". I've seen better O Lines at UT, but I've seen several lines here that were worse. And I've also heard or read numerous people bad mouth the talent the Vols had in 2009, especially the O Line, to fit their stories of what a great coach Kiffin was. The facts are that the 2009 team was 7-6, and a bunch of guys on that team later made NFL rosters. I'm pretty sure two more guys, Aaron Douglas and Janzen Jackson, would have had good NFL careers except for sad personal situations.

Aaron Douglas was a feeshman, Scott, Vlad, and Dallas were bad. They had James Cregg come in and he went to a strictly zone blocking scheme. The Sullins twins got whooped play after play. I remember being in the office hearing Kiffin, Chaney, and Cregg discuss how to block this team or this stud DL guy because the OL was just that bad. Hardesty was so banged up because teams were hitting him behind the LOS. I literally went on a few recruiting trips and helped that staff so I personally know how bad it was.

Aaron Douglas was a feeshman, Scott, Vlad, and Dallas were bad. They had James Cregg come in and he went to a strictly zone blocking scheme. The Sullins twins got whooped play after play. I remember being in the office hearing Kiffin, Chaney, and Cregg discuss how to block this team or this stud DL guy because the OL was just that bad. Hardesty was so banged up because teams were hitting him behind the LOS. I literally went on a few recruiting trips and helped that staff so I personally know how bad it was.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on Chris Scott, Vlad, and Thomas. I think Thomas was still green in 2009, and developed into a pretty decent blocker before he left UT. Scott and Vlad held their own. And Aaron Douglas played great for a freshman at Tackle. I was at several August practices that year, and probably all the games, a few on TV, by the way.

Yes, the Sullins boys were overmatched against the better linemen they played. The one at Center was forced in there because Josh McNeil was injured most of the year.

Hardesty carried the ball 20+ times per game in the SEC. Anybody would stay banged up with that load. He was a great back- ran angry- usually dealt as much pain as he got.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on Chris Scott, Vlad, and Thomas. I think Thomas was still green in 2009, and developed into a pretty decent blocker before he left UT. Scott and Vlad held their own. And Aaron Douglas played great for a freshman at Tackle. I was at several August practices that year, and probably all the games, a few on TV, by the way.

Yes, the Sullins boys were overmatched against the better linemen they played. The one at Center was forced in there because Josh McNeil was injured most of the year.

Hardesty carried the ball 20+ times per game in the SEC. Anybody would stay banged up with that load. He was a great back- ran angry- usually dealt as much pain as he got.
What they did with that o line talent was impressive. I know both of the Sullins twins and they are great guys. To see them now and know they played offensive line in the SEC is crazy. Speaks of how much heart they had and how much they loved the Vols

Still have my Hardesty poster and remember the crowd yelling "Montarioooooooh!" One of my favorite VFL RB's. Douglas weighed in around 270-275 lbs. that season. Just had that big frame and long arms to do work. Chaney just made do with what he had.

Kiffin did waste browns talent by telling Herman Lathers to give him full contact during fall practice because he wasn't used to getting hit. Spurrier got a big kick out of that

Ohio State and ZE rumors, an example of how to write an article when you have absolutely no information....
Ohio State: Buckeyes have Zach Evans talk, Marcus Bradley cuts list to 10
Hate OSU, but this scenario does seem legit. There has to be a reason some of the major programs are not bending over backwards for this kid. I continue to say that due to this kid’s own actions he has put himself in a limited option situation and will probably end up with that enabler in Oxford Mississippi.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Hate OSU, but this scenario does seem legit. There has to be a reason some of the major programs are not bending over backwards for this kid. I continue to say that due to this kid’s own actions he has put himself in a limited option situation and will probably end up with that enabler in Oxford Mississippi.

Not arguing, but we have no idea who is doing what for this kid. He's tight-lipped, and maybe he's told several of the usual contenders he's just not interested. We just don't know. I'm on the side of benefit of the doubt. All of this noise from one incident over a phone. Then some stuff coming out of UGA about him... and they'd never,ever be butthurt about him.

Thought OSU was troubled RBU... Elliott, Clarett, Hyde...?

I just watched some of Rivals tape of Evans and this kid is so good. He instantly makes us better in my opinion. I wish he’d go ahead and pull the trigger already.
Also, the 2021 kid Treveyon Henderson looks great also. That dude is a burner. Wishful thinking, but I want both to be Vols ASAP

VN Store

Back