TX QB Kaidon Salter (Liberty signee)

While true, we are beyond those days. Defense wins you a lot of steady games. It can certainly get you to the playoffs. But offense has been winning championships recently.

We saw what UGA's #1 defense could not do vs LSU. Or Bama could not do vs Clemson the year before. Championship games have been really high scoring recently. Modern rpo, read option, dual threat QB, etc style offenses are too much for any college defense.
I totally agree; I believe we no longer live in the days of "defense wins championships". The game has changed.

Yet, you're only looking at it from one side. Three yrs ago, Bama and UGA played a defensive struggle championship game, that ended up 26-23, in overtime; with talent ALL OVER the offensive side of the ball. However, I will say, with two true freshmen QBs for both teams.

Year before last...yes, Bama's historic defense could not stop Clemson's elite offense/elite QB. BUT, Clemson's just-as-stout defense COMPLETELY shut down Bama's elite offense/elite QB...held them to just two touchdowns. Did offense/elite QB win that game, or did Clemson's defense?

And, this past year...yes, LSU's historic offense/elite QB was not to be stopped; yet, what did LSU's defense do to Clemson's offense/elite QB? They COMPLETELY shut them down in the 2nd half, and Lawrence (elite QB) was lucky to make it out of that game alive. Clemson's offense/elite QB were rolling in the first half, and had the lead; however, with the DEFENSIVE adjustments at halftime, that offense/elite QB were nowhere to be found in the 2nd half.

I totally agree; I believe we no longer live in the days of "defense wins championships". The game has changed.

Yet, you're only looking at it from one side. Three yrs ago, Bama and UGA played a defensive struggle championship game, that ended up 26-23, in overtime; with talent ALL OVER the offensive side of the ball. However, I will say, with two true freshmen QBs for both teams.

Year before last...yes, Bama's historic defense could not stop Clemson's elite offense/elite QB. BUT, Clemson's just-as-stout defense COMPLETELY shut down Bama's elite offense/elite QB...held them to just two touchdowns. Did offense/elite QB win that game, or did Clemson's defense?

And, this past year...yes, LSU's historic offense/elite QB was not to be stopped; yet, what did LSU's defense do to Clemson's offense/elite QB? They COMPLETELY shut them down in the 2nd half, and Lawrence (elite QB) was lucky to make it out of that game alive. Clemson's offense/elite QB were rolling in the first half, and had the lead; however, with the DEFENSIVE adjustments at halftime, that offense/elite QB were nowhere to be found in the 2nd half.
In other words... Defense is kind of a big deal

True, but will he ever beat Bailey for the starting position? I don't believe so. He'll ride the bench and get to start after Bailey leaves, assuming he doesn't get recruited over. JMO

I could always be wrong and he could end up being the next Kyler Murray. We can only hope!
No idea. But his ranking and staff eval (per AV) suggest it's certainly possible.

Great position for us to be in moving forward. Bring the best and let them battle it out. This is what the big boys do.

tenor.gif

In other words... Defense is kind of a big deal
For sure. I think it used to be like 70/30 D. Tons of shutouts and low scoring games. I think now it is more like 60/40 O.

Love the D Pruitt is building, but it will be wasted like Kirby's if we can't match it with an explosive offense.

Reactions: SugarCC

VN Store

Back