Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are positives to not playing this Fall. Our recruiting class may turn out better if we don’t play. Less likelihood of recruits watching us screw something up like last season. Less likelihood they can take additional visits to other schools as well.

I love recruiting but would much rather watch football than this forum. Bad take regardless if what you say happens. They should be playing football period.

I don't get the Fields talk, he is already a 1st round pick, why would he transfer and play this year and risk injury? Makes zero sense.

You get better by actually playing. NFL guys would prefer to see more tape on all of these guys that is not 15 months old. Heard them saying this just this morning.

I was reading on the Nebraska board that it would be incredibly short sighted to leave. It would end up costing them too much money. I think they are judt going to have to accept it.

They've been getting north of $50 million a year from the Big 10. Big 12 teams are pulling in far less.
But in the long run renewing the OK NE rivalry would be a really good thing. Who's to say the Big 10 survives this.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Being at OSU surrounded by top 100 players playing against bad teams versus playing in the SEC.... Might not turn out too well. But some really do like to compete. Plus maybe for him he still isn't over CKS. So with us it would be what he thinks of CJC.

He could play himself into the number one pick over Lawrence. He does have something to gain but would be a top 10 pick regardless. But, this has NFL people scared to death and not just about Fields. It is a nightmare scenario for them.

not an accurate one.👀

It's his hesitation that causes his inaccuracy, or underthrown long throws. He has a good arm, but his problem is he is not one that can wait and review film after the game. He starts mentally replaying mistakes during the game and it causes uncertainty in his head. And he ultimately creates too much pressure on himself during games.

Unfortunately for JG, he will be a RS senior, so if he hasn't been able to correct his mental issues by now, I have little faith he will be able to do it.

However, as I noted in a discussion on JG a couple of weeks ago, Pruitt wants to establish a powerful running game, that much is obvious. So regardless of who has the more accurate arm, or who throws the best deep ball, I expect Pruitt to start the QB who can best read a defense and align the offense properly to effectively run the ball. Last season the freshmen couldn't do that consistently which is why staff kept going back to JG.

From DylanVol:

Seems like we're in the top 3 at worst for the following:

OL Rod Orr (decision TBD, could be soon though) - fighting FSU and OM for him right now. Cousin of Roc Taylor which probably helps us with both Orr as well as keeping Roc from AU

OL William Parker (decision 9/4) - trying to fend off Bama

OL Amarius Mims (decision 10/14) - recent momentum seems to be with us and consensus is that as of this moment we're in the top 2 with UGA

LB Smael Mondon - who knows when this one is over, seems likely to go to December. Also seems likely that we'll be in this one all the way along with AU and presumably UGA

DE Kristian Zachary (decision 10/15) - Bama is on the fringes here and obviously AP thinks we're in a good spot. IMO he's underrated because he's "only" 6'3

DL TID - decision TBD, Vols seem to be the common denominator, with either Cocks or UGA, when various people say it's down to two team.

CB Nyland Green - another one that a) nobody knows a decision date, and b) Vols seem to have quietly crept to the forefront and right now are apparently in the Top 2 with, once again, UGA

Other targets we're legitimately in the mix for:
WR Deion Colzie - IMO we don't need another WR if the current class holds
OL Diego Pounds - seems to be trending PSU
DL Tywone Malone - could the B10 shutting down hurt OSU/PSU and help us?
DL Jamond Gordon - IMO it would be ideal to sign a JUCO DL assuming we have a 2020 season and in fact lose 7 Senior DL going into 2021
DL Jalen Weaver - Middleton-esque size
DL Demarcus Smith - probably way down the board
DB Terrion Arnold - the longer it goes the better for us, IMO. Will UF take a class with 15+ DBs?
DBs Christian Charles/Dylan Merrill/MJ Daniels - could see 1-2 of them being takes if we miss on Green/Arnold and/or we lose a commitment

Good problem to have would be landing a good number of the first group and then having to cull from the commitment list.

He could play himself into the number one pick over Lawrence. He does have something to gain but would be a top 10 pick regardless. But, this has NFL people scared to death and not just about Fields. It is a nightmare scenario for them.
What are they afraid of?

It's his hesitation that causes his inaccuracy, or underthrown long throws. He has a good arm, but his problem is he is not one that can wait and review film after the game. He starts mentally replaying mistakes during the game and it causes uncertainty in his head. And he ultimately creates too much pressure on himself during games.

Unfortunately for JG, he will be a RS senior, so if he hasn't been able to correct his mental issues by now, I have little faith he will be able to do it.

However, as I noted in a discussion on JG a couple of weeks ago, Pruitt wants to establish a powerful running game, that much is obvious. So regardless of who has the more accurate arm, or who throws the best deep ball, I expect Pruitt to start the QB who can best read a defense and align the offense properly to effectively run the ball. Last season the freshmen couldn't do that consistently which is why staff kept going back to JG.

You had me up until this

Pruitt wants to establish a powerful running game, that much is obvious

a powerful running game in the SEC is a must, so that’s a given.but with chaney as the OC and HB being the Pro-style gunslinger he is do you honestly think Pruitt will stick to that agenda if he knows he has a QB who can sling it and make better decisions? 👀 Pruitt would like a balanced playbook but Chaney has the green light and gets pass happy but keep that Same energy After he starts a game this season..JG will be an after thought..Bailey will get his 4 games and that’s when the hype will start.

I was reading on the Nebraska board that it would be incredibly short sighted to leave. It would end up costing them too much money. I think they are judt going to have to accept it.

They've been getting north of $50 million a year from the Big 10. Big 12 teams are pulling in far less.

I see both sides. If you stay and not play, while other conferences do play, the Big 10 fades away into non P5 status.

It actually does seem sort of a doom and gloom post if you are saying if we play in the fall we will get skulldrug by our opponents. Sounds pretty gloomy to me.

We haven’t been within 21 points vs UGA, UF, or Alabama in Pruitt’s tenure here. I don’t know what else to call it.

where is the 50mil coming from this year?
Tv contract? If I had a subscription to the big 10network I would cancel it.

You had me up until this

a powerful running game in the SEC is a must, so that’s a given.but with chaney as the OC and HB being the Pro-style gunslinger he is do you honestly think Pruitt will stick to that agenda if he knows he has a QB who can sling it and make better decisions? 👀 Pruitt would like a balanced playbook but Chaney has the green light and gets pass happy but keep that Same energy After he starts a game this season..JG will be an after thought..Bailey will get his 4 games and that’s when the hype will start.

Yes, I do indeed. If HB can't properly align the offense in the run game Pruitt will have him on a short leash, assuming HB even plays, regardless of what Chaney may prefer.

Last season, with an OL that was not a great run blocking squad, UT still ran the ball 70% of the time (461 rushes vs 200 passes, for 69.7%). That's more a model of what Bama does than the SEC as a whole. With a much stronger line and more experienced, and talented RBs, I expect Pruitt will want to dominate in the run game, so I expect him to go with the guy who understands what defense he is seeing and align accordingly. I personally hope it is HB, or even Maurer or Strout, than JG. But I think some of you are getting your hopes to high for HB considering there was no spring practice. Possibly he could win a spot later in the season, but if it is not JG to start the season I would look more for it to be BM, or less likely, JTS.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Yes, I do indeed. If HB can't properly align the offense in the run game Pruitt will have him on a short leash, assuming HB even plays, regardless of what Chaney may prefer.

Last season, with an OL that was not a great run blocking squad, UT still ran the ball 70% of the time (461 rushes vs 200 passes, for 69.7%). That's more a model of what Bama does than the SEC as a whole. With a much stronger line and more experienced, and talented RBs, I expect Pruitt will want to dominate in the run game, so I expect him to go with the guy who understands what defense he is seeing and align accordingly. I personally hope it is HB, or even Maurer or Strout, than JG. But I think some of you are getting your hopes to high for HB considering there was no spring practice. Possibly he could win a spot later in the season, but if it is not JG to start the season I would look more for it to be BM, or less likely, JTS.
I think you’re not reading enough into the idea that most of the time they couldn’t trust JG to throw so they had to run

But in the long run renewing the OK NE rivalry would be a really good thing. Who's to say the Big 10 survives this.

The Big 10 will survive this, it's not in any remote danger.

Nebraska is just showing their ass. They're lucky Delany still isn't the Big-10 commissioner. It's my understanding he had a predilection towards colorful language and was not beyond throwing it at ADs or coaches who crossed him. Too bad he's not still in charge.

No way the Big 12's revenue sharing could compete with Big-10. Remember Texas has its own TV network and doesn't share any of that with the other teams in the Big-12. Plus the conference is now populated with a large number of 2nd tier teams like West Virginia.

But you are absolutely right, it would be great to have Nebraska playing Oklahoma regularly again. Those games in the 60's and 70's were really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back