TX QB Kaidon Salter (Liberty signee)

Just a few QBs off the top of my head that have played in college offenses that feature plays designed to hurt teams with their legs as well as their arm. I've tried to leave off the tiny speedsters (Bowden, Jackson), and also the pounders (Newton, Tebow).

All these seem comparable to Salters potential size if/and when he gets opportunity to start.

JT Barret
Shay Patterson
Deshaun Watson
Adrian Martinez
Braxton Miller

Again, the point isnt "is KS gonna be Lamar Jackson or Cam Newton ?"

The question is, can he be similar to one of the above? All the above had coaches that coordinated offenses around their dual threat abilities. These weren't only good scramblers like Russell Wilson, there were multiple plays installed to take advantage of their skill sets.

My original point was Chaney doesnt have a track record with offenses like this. I know its controversial, but I believe opting to go with Fromm over Fields was a critical error. Obviously I realize it wasnt his decision.

If for some reason Mauer or K. Salter ends up being the clear cut starter at some point in the future, IMO the offense should feature their skill sets as good passers and capable runners.

Last edited:
Just a few QBs off the top of my head that have played in college offenses that feature plays designed to hurt teams with their legs as well as their arm. I've tried to leave off the tiny speedsters (Bowden, Jackson), and also the pounders (Newton, Tebow).

All these seem comparable to Salters potential size if/and when he gets opportunity to start.

JT Barret
Shay Patterson
Deshaun Watson
Adrian Martinez
Braxton Miller

The question is, can he be similar to one of the above? All the above had coaches that coordinated offenses around their dual threat abilities.

My original point was Chaney doesnt have a track record with offenses like this. I know its controversial, but I believe opting to go with Fromm over Fields was a critical error. Obviously I realize it wasnt his decision.

If for some reason Mauer or K. Salter ends up being the clear cut starter at some point in the future, IMO the offense should feature their skill sets.
Which is why I said Wilson could be a better comparison. Was never saying heā€™d be a Cam or Lamar, but when butch gets on about something you just have to ignore him because heā€™ll never stop otherwise.

Iā€™m following your point. Letā€™s hope Salter is better than Patterson, but Watson Martinez and Patterson all operated out of pro style offenses. OSU does a little more of their own thing. I still donā€™t think the play calling changes much. when Maurer started we saw more RPOs reads and roll outs. Iā€™d imagine similar things with Salter.

Which is why I said Wilson could be a better comparison. Was never saying heā€™d be a Cam or Lamar, but when butch gets on about something you just have to ignore him because heā€™ll never stop otherwise.

Iā€™m following your point. Letā€™s hope Salter is better than Patterson, but Watson Martinez and Patterson all operated out of pro style offenses. OSU does a little more of their own thing. I still donā€™t think the play calling changes much. when Maurer started we saw more RPOs reads and roll outs. Iā€™d imagine similar things with Salter.
Johnny Football ran fine and he was indeed on the small side.

Reactions: butchna
IIRC, he played bigger than JG did as a RS Fr.

I'm pretty sure 1vol8 will confirm that Maurer was right around 200 lbs.

Remember Bray and Ainge? Both were skinny as Fr and bulked up.
Roster numbers are not truly accurate. Maurer was Tiny Tim regardless what a poster says. Juicing the height and weight is normal on rosters. They had Grant Williams at 6ā€™7ā€ and heā€™s a 6ā€™6ā€ at best. Doesnā€™t mean the kid canā€™t ball but donā€™t rely on roster numbers lol.

Frame: Short, muscular and fit build with room to put on weight.

Athleticism: More quick than fast. His quickness and agility in and out of the pocket give him the ability to extend the play when things break down. Throws the ball well on the run, and in the scramble drill. He also runs track, competing well in the 300 meter hurdles.

Instincts: Has an arsenal of moves to avoid the rush, great at feeling pressure out in the pocket and buying time. Not afraid to drive the ball downfield with a big arm to back it up. Has a good burst on the ground, and the ability to challenge second level defenders with his speed.

Polish: A big arm with good touch, makes throws sideline to sideline. Great anticipation on his throws, hitting receivers on time. Could stand to improve his throwing motion, as it lacks some fluidity.

Bottom Line: Salter has the quickness, big arm and all the raw tools to develop in a suitable Power 5 quarterback. With some more work on his motion off the field, and some added weight heā€™ll have a chance to compete for a job early in his college career.

SI All-American Candidate Kaidon Salter Highlights and Evaluation

JT Barret
Shay Patterson
Deshaun Watson
Adrian Martinez
Braxton Miller

The question is, can he be similar to one of the above? All the above had coaches that coordinated offenses around their dual threat abilities. These weren't only good scramblers like Russell Wilson, there were multiple plays installed to take advantage of their skill sets.

If for some reason Mauer or K. Salter ends up being the clear cut starter at some point in the future, IMO the offense should feature their skill sets as good passers and capable runners.
Nice!
#keen&mean

Reactions: keenobserver
What would y'all like to know? I'll ask him 3 questions. FYI I've already asked about Mims and who else may commit.

1) What have the coaches told him about their confidence levels of the upcoming season actually occurring?

2) Have the coaches talked to him about what they want him focused on between now and when he arrives to Knoxville?

3) Have the coaches discussed with him how the offensive scheme may change with him running the show compared to what we have seen with Guarantano/Maurer at QB?

VN Store

Back