TX QB Kaidon Salter (Liberty signee)

All very good points and I agree. I'll admit I havent watched a ton of Salter, but what I did see was really good. He does have the ability to be a great pocket passer. I also dont think it would be a problem for them to share RPO concepts as most of those aren't designed QB runs, instead RB gives/or throws. In other words, Salter looks like a kid that can run a pro style offense with some wrinkles, and Bailey is one that will exclusively run a pro style offense.

I guess the differences would be designed QB power, sweep, Zone R, and RPOs w/qb. For a capable runner like Salter, there's alot more Chaney could do. If Salter is the starter, the offense would need to be tweaked to his style to fit strengths and vice versa. Probably wouldn't be a massive undertaking, but I'm sure it would pose some challenges especially if it was installed mid season bc of an injury. BTW, I think the offense would definitely need to be adapted to Holiday's skill set if he is ever our QB.

I know it would never happen again and it makes me want to vomit thinking about it, but remember CBJ having Worley and Dormandy running zone and reading the end over and over getting smashed?
Salter needs to put on some serious weight before many designed QB runs are called. I don’t see him being a college Cam or Lamar type of runner. He’s more the size of a Russell Wilson.

Reactions: keenobserver
Lamar was like Vick, their exceptions to the rule, but usually those exceptions are all world athletes. I would hesitate comparing any duel threat to those kinds of athletes. Kylar is the only other one that I would put in that group and possibly mahomes.
Well the comparison was size based?

Dan Mullen has spent a career featuring QBs that he calls "willing runners". They dont necessarily have to be world class athletes to be dual threat. And still, his offense features tons of QB counters, powers, leads, etc......
Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Dak, Fizgerald, Tebow, Franks....Most are bigger guys, but not freakishly athletic.

In fact, I remember last season him making the comment that Trask was the first non run threat QB he's coached in a long time.

I'll err on the side of just not knowing what type of player KS will be. Russell Wilson sounded nice to me. :)

Last edited:
Also wasn’t playing in the SEC. Maurer might have better wheels than Salter, but too small to make any use of em. To be able to run those QB Powers/Dives/Counters, where the QB is definitely taking hits, going to have to be bigger.
Won the Heisman. Played an epic game against Clemson. And you brought up weight without qualifiers.

Won the Heisman. Played an epic game against Clemson. And you brought up weight without qualifiers.
The guy I responded to was talking about designed QB runs. Do you have something to add to the conversation or are you just here to butchna per usual?

Maurer Doesn't have the Arm Strength to be the Starter. I love his Energy but wish he would consider moving to WR. I like our chances better With JG , Bailey and even Shrout better. Don't know enough about Hill or Bittner.
Well let's start with the fact that he has plenty of arm strength. And next we can point out that he has nowhere near the tools needed to be an SEC-level WR.

Also wasn’t playing in the SEC. Maurer might have better wheels than Salter, but too small to make any use of em. To be able to run those QB Powers/Dives/Counters, where the QB is definitely taking hits, going to have to be bigger.

After watching his highlights, the best argument for him not being able to run those plays at TN is that he didnt in high school, not his size.....The spread style offense he's playing (at an absolutely awesome program) resembles Leach's Air Raid.

I guess the question is (and probably thread start worthy): do we ever see Chaney deviate his approach with a starter that could clearly hurt teams with his legs? Salter, Holiday, or Mauer for that matter? Kasim Hill looks like a battering ram now I might add.

Crompton, Bray, Peterman, Fromm, JG dont exactly fit the mold as a dual threat IMO.... Not that I think size is an issue, but If the kid is 6-2 185 now, it's not unreasonable to think he can be 6-2/3, 215 in a few years...

Last edited:
The guy I responded to was talking about designed QB runs. Do you have something to add to the conversation or are you just here to butchna per usual?
And I responded to your reference to Lamar Jackson as a behemoth at the same stage...so added and yeah.

And I responded to your reference to Lamar Jackson as a behemoth at the same stage...so added and yeah.
i never said Lamar was huge, just that I don’t see Salter running the ball like Cam at Auburn did and Lamar did. Lamar still had a wider frame than Salter. But I doubt Lamar would’ve made it through his college career running the way he did if in the SEC. There’s a reason why all the SEC QBs who we see on designed QB runs are big and bulky. Tebow, Dak, Cam, Stevens from MSU. You gotta have more size in the SEC. A 185lb Lamar would’ve been beat to hell the same as a 185lb Salter would be the same as 185lb Maurer was last year.

Maurer is a legit 6'4" and played at close to 200 lbs last fall. He does need to gain muscle mass... but it isn't like he's a twig. I like Salter. But if I am not mistaken he's lighter and shorter than Maurer.

Maurer is a legit 6'4" and played at close to 200 lbs last fall. He does need to gain muscle mass... but it isn't like he's a twig. I like Salter. But if I am not mistaken he's lighter and shorter than Maurer.
Maurer is definitely taller than Salter, but If Maurer was playing at 200lbs last season then I’m a monkey’s uncle. Dude was a railllll. Still looks small. Needs to get on that DeChambeau diet.

Maurer is definitely taller than Salter, but If Maurer was playing at 200lbs last season then I’m a monkey’s uncle. Dude was a railllll. Still looks small. Needs to get on that DeChambeau diet.
IIRC, he played bigger than JG did as a RS Fr.

I'm pretty sure 1vol8 will confirm that Maurer was right around 200 lbs.

Remember Bray and Ainge? Both were skinny as Fr and bulked up.

i never said Lamar was huge, just that I don’t see Salter running the ball like Cam at Auburn did and Lamar did. Lamar still had a wider frame than Salter. But I doubt Lamar would’ve made it through his college career running the way he did if in the SEC. There’s a reason why all the SEC QBs who we see on designed QB runs are big and bulky. Tebow, Dak, Cam, Stevens from MSU. You gotta have more size in the SEC. A 185lb Lamar would’ve been beat to hell the same as a 185lb Salter would be the same as 185lb Maurer was last year.

I hate getting so far away from the point, can we just toss Lamar Jackson out of the discussion? Lamar Jackson destroys NFL defenses right now for the Ravens at 212lbs, by doing the same thing he did at Louisville and what he would have done in the SEC: running up the middle, around the edges, and everywhere in between.

I've never wanted to compare his potential to Jackson. I only asked if Chaney could/would adapt offensive scheme to suit a starter that presents a problem with his legs. Chaney doesnt have a history with it. Your answer is he wont have to....I take your answer and respect it..., but not totally on board with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleVol
I hate getting so far away from the point, can we just toss Lamar Jackson out of the discussion? Lamar Jackson destroys NFL defenses right now for the Ravens at 212lbs, by doing the same thing he did at Louisville and what he would have done in the SEC: running up the middle, around the edges, and everywhere in between.

I've never wanted to compare his potential to Jackson. I only asked if Chaney could/would adapt offensive scheme to suit a starter that presents a problem with his legs. He doesnt have a history with it. Your answer is he wont have to....I take your answer and respect it..., but not totally on board with it.
Blame @butchna. the only point i was making by bringing up Lamar and Cam was that I don’t see Chaney calling a bunch of QB runs like that for Salter. More likely we go wildcat with Calloway or Holiday imo

IIRC, he played bigger than JG did as a RS Fr.

I'm pretty sure 1vol8 will confirm that Maurer was right around 200 lbs.

Remember Bray and Ainge? Both were skinny as Fr and bulked up.
It’s not like I’m saying Maurer and Salter won’t eventually put on the bulk. They need to if they want to survive in the SEC.

Blame @butchna. the only point i was making by bringing up Lamar and Cam was that I don’t see Chaney calling a bunch of QB runs like that for Salter. More likely we go wildcat with Calloway or Holiday imo
I blame the fella who brought 250 lb Lamar Jackson into your point. 😉

Maybe Salter will grow after his senior year in high school and probable redshirt season? 🤔

Reactions: Kristy*

VN Store

Back