TX QB Kaidon Salter (Liberty signee)

Wait. How can you like Salter better than HB? I dont know ish...but, I was able to catch a Marrieta game on ESPN ocho lats yurr....footwork, cannon, leadership, and winning program. Honestly, reminds me of Ainge and Bray arm but bigger kid. Anyway, only time will tell.

TX and GA HS Football 2/4 best in Country.

Salter has that Chris Leak type arm. Throws good ball. Does he have footwork, etc? I have 0 clue other than watching the .02 seconds of highlights if a HS player i can stomach. Kid has a motor, not a JG motor, an actual motor. Throws well. In the .02 seconds of filmwork, it occured that he knows the time to run and when to throw

Ill defer to the NFL scouts here.
Salter's jump from SO to JR was massive. He put his efficiency right up there with HB's JR year, if not slightly higher.

Downside is his accuracy at that camp was off, not close to HB's atm. He hasn't been a QB since he was a child like HB has.

Fwiw I love both prospects. The more the merrier. No more, "do we play Simms or Crompton?" Do we play a flailing Dormady or a freshman JG. These are the 2 most legit future contenders we've had in some time...with Simpson and who knows what else just over the horizon. Gotta like that position for the next 5+ years and QB is where you reach elite team status. I'm excited.

Salter's jump from SO to JR was massive. He put his efficiency right up there with HB's JR year, if not slightly higher.

Downside is his accuracy at that camp was off, not close to HB's atm. He hasn't been a QB since he was a child like HB has.

Fwiw I love both prospects. The more the merrier. No more, "do we play Simms or Crompton?" Do we play a flailing Dormady or a freshman JG. These are the 2 most legit future contenders we've had in some time...with Simpson and who knows what else just over the horizon. Gotta like that position for the next 5+ years and QB is where you reach elite team status. I'm excited.

Well said. An interesting development for the future will be how Chaney navigates the offense having a Pro style starter with an Dual/athlete backup, or vice versa.....The obvious answer is Salter will have a few things built into the offense that highlight his skill set if in fact he backs up HB. Going from one extreme to the other isnt always the easiest task for an offense.

Reactions: Devo182
Bailey+Salter is an amazing QB room. We are in great hands for the future. You can have all the championship pieces... but it’s always about that QB.
And we are in on some really good QB's for the 22' and 23' classes. Man looking forward to the next decade, it is setting up realllllll nice(in a deep country slang).

And we are in on some really good QB's for the 22' and 23' classes. Man looking forward to the next decade, it is setting up realllllll nice(in a deep country slang).

I really feel all this team needs is good QB play. Everything else is in place and looks to be in place for a while. Something just tells me that Bailey will translate his talents easily to the college level. He can already make some NFL level throws. I have a very good feeling about the Vols backfield going forward.

Kaidon is pretty thick lower body but rather small upper. It was evident at the Elite 11 how much he needs to gain. Weight gain has already been happening since they stepped foot back in Texas from the event. 20 pounds is the current goal.
He'll be 210 once he enrolls in no time. Excited about this kid's future.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Well said. An interesting development for the future will be how Chaney navigates the offense having a Pro style starter with an Dual/athlete backup, or vice versa.....The obvious answer is Salter will have a few things built into the offense that highlight his skill set if in fact he backs up HB. Going from one extreme to the other isnt always the easiest task for an offense.

This is where great football coaches separate themselves from decent football coaches!..Adapting to what is on your roster has always been the downfall Even to some of the greats.

This is where great football coaches separate themselves from decent football coaches!..Adapting to what is on your roster has always been the downfall Even to some of the greats.

Definitely. Alot of offensive minded HCs will hold tight to their offensive philosophies and are reluctant to veer from it too much. While I believe they'll always be room for the traditional big tall pocket passer, it's hard to ignore how the QB position has evolved the last few years at all three levels. I'm glad we're embracing it.....From an organizational standpoint, I'm sure it poses challenges when your two best QBs aren't similar.

did you watch hb in any games?
Yes. I'm not trying to trigger you but I saw a HS kid with a good arm surrounded by really good players. He's talented. I hope he's every bit of that 5* rating.

And... I'm still impressed by Salter's instincts and ability to extend plays.

i do think after he picks system up, salter is type talent that can win a nat. seems to be how the game is progressed. gotta have a qb that can be multiple.
I think you can win with a guy like HB. I do. I agree with the earlier poster that said the pro-style QB still has a place in the game.

We're all guessing at this point. What matters most is the decisions they make when playing at next level game speed. IMHO, that's where JG comes up short. He has talent but the game has never seemed to slow down for him.

Damn I just wish he was a few inches taller. Hope he can look over the OL

Russell Wilson is 5'11

Some of these OL these days are 6'6... 6'7.
The way to "see the field" is to:
1) know the progression of the routes. Before you even hike the ball...
2) Get a good deep dropback (most QBs are in the shotgun already)
3) Manipulate the defense with your eyes to create space for open passing lanes.
4) Deliver the ball to the "spot" it's supposed to be in accordance with the progession.

If the QB can process this as he feels the pressure, then his height doesn't matter to much. You only need a clear window to throw through for a split second. Often times pass rushers create these lanes when the OL mirrors them to try and block. So that 6'6 OL is no longer a factor..

It'll all depends on the inner abilities of the QB

I can agree with that. I think Bailey can move when he needs to. We know Maurer can and even JG seemed to get a tad bit mire mobile.
Maurer Doesn't have the Arm Strength to be the Starter. I love his Energy but wish he would consider moving to WR. I like our chances better With JG , Bailey and even Shrout better. Don't know enough about Hill or Bittner.

Maurer Doesn't have the Arm Strength to be the Starter. I love his Energy but wish he would consider moving to WR. I like our chances better With JG , Bailey and even Shrout better. Don't know enough about Hill or Bittner.
maurer has plenty afm strength. he is just too skinny and doesn't knit this offense

I haven’t seen anything from Maurer to suggest he doesn’t have arm strength. He isn’t anywhere near quick or shifty enough to be a WR. I think he needs to bulk up and get in the film room. Hrck for all we know Maurer may be the starter this year.

Reactions: LittleVol

His arm strength is fine (I.e. the first td to Callaway in the Georgia game last season). He does throw off balance ever so often which may give the appearance of lofty throws.

Reactions: Kristy*
Definitely. Alot of offensive minded HCs will hold tight to their offensive philosophies and are reluctant to veer from it too much. While I believe they'll always be room for the traditional big tall pocket passer, it's hard to ignore how the QB position has evolved the last few years at all three levels. I'm glad we're embracing it.....From an organizational standpoint, I'm sure it poses challenges when your two best QBs aren't similar.
I actually don’t see much of a challenge with it. The best of these “new generation” QBs are still operating out of a pro style system. Their athleticism allows them to extend plays, but they are still pass first and making the same reads. I think as an OC you maybe call a few more RPOs with a more athletic QB, but with guys like HB and Salter, who is still very much a pass first QB, I don’t think the game plans change very much.

I actually don’t see much of a challenge with it. The best of these “new generation” QBs are still operating out of a pro style system. Their athleticism allows them to extend plays, but they are still pass first and making the same reads. I think as an OC you maybe call a few more RPOs with a more athletic QB, but with guys like HB and Salter, who is still very much a pass first QB, I don’t think the game plans change very much.

All very good points and I agree. I'll admit I havent watched a ton of Salter, but what I did see was really good. He does have the ability to be a great pocket passer. I also dont think it would be a problem for them to share RPO concepts as most of those aren't designed QB runs, instead RB gives/or throws. In other words, Salter looks like a kid that can run a pro style offense with some wrinkles, and Bailey is one that will exclusively run a pro style offense.

I guess the differences would be designed QB power, sweep, Zone R, and RPOs w/qb. For a capable runner like Salter, there's alot more Chaney could do. If Salter is the starter, the offense would need to be tweaked to his style to fit strengths and vice versa. Probably wouldn't be a massive undertaking, but I'm sure it would pose some challenges especially if it was installed mid season bc of an injury. BTW, I think the offense would definitely need to be adapted to Holiday's skill set if he is ever our QB.

I know it would never happen again and it makes me want to vomit thinking about it, but remember CBJ having Worley and Dormandy running zone and reading the end over and over getting smashed?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back