Turning the Corner

Ok CKJ is better than Holly and most would agree with that. But i would ask you one thing do you think Key and KK development have been better under John or Dean ?

Really good question. I might suggest that the difference in post play was not from individual position coaching but rather how the posts were used in the offense and, more importantly, how the other players played. During Mercedes era, it was get the ball to the post at all costs which resulted in a high turnover rate and complete transparency to defenses. We seldom made defenses play honest. It was very frustrating to the fans who had to assign blame on something so since the post was less than effective, the position coach was blamed.

I think Dean is a great coach. He wouldn't have lasted as long as he did if he were bad and he would certainly not have been on Pat's staff. I think Jon is too but does not have the track record of Dean. My thoughts are that if Mercedes had Kellies offense instead of Holly's, she would have had better stats and there would never have been a discussion.

Last edited:
I like Evina and don't blame her 1 bit for wanting a better coach than Holly Warlick. It was terrible that the players who chose TN had such a poor head coach. Mercedes, Jaime, some others might have been all Americans if they'd had a good head coach.
I think Evina is a fine young woman who found herself in a difficult position. I hope she is happy and wish her well except when she is playing us. The two things I wish she had done differently:
Not answered the reporters question in the locker room. With a little more maturity she might have found a way to deflect a really gotcha question
Given Kellie a chance. Widows were always going to be open for her. Kellie deserved a fair hearing.

We all thought they turned the corner against Ark but we saw that was not the case. Hopefully they are turning the corner but I think its going to be a slow process. How to keep the star players motivated every game on this team is a psych challenge for any coach.

This. They played brilliantly against Arkansas, then proceeded to have 19 and 24 turnovers the next two games. No consistency...

Reactions: mcannon1
I like Evina and don't blame her 1 bit for wanting a better coach than Holly Warlick. It was terrible that the players who chose TN had such a poor head coach. Mercedes, Jaime, some others might have been all Americans if they'd had a good head coach.

with that being said it’s also ok to not like Evina lol

Reactions: mlindsay
Ok CKJ is better than Holly and most would agree with that. But i would ask you one thing do you think Key and KK development have been better under John or Dean ?

Tough to say, they both suck. I'm not sure there would have been a noticeable difference either way...

Exactly! I'm thrilled for anyone who escaped the Holly carnage and actually got to have a career. Even players whose styles I couldn't stand like Annie Hayes. I feel awful about the pile of wasted careers and unfulfilled potential that era left behind. I call it the Jamie Nared Trail of Tears. Anyone who avoided it has my support for whatever they can salvage of their playing days.

Exactly! I'm thrilled for anyone who escaped the Holly carnage and actually got to have a career. Even players whose styles I couldn't stand like Annie Hayes. I feel awful about the pile of wasted careers and unfulfilled potential that era left behind. I call it the Jamie Nared Trail of Tears. Anyone who avoided it has my support for whatever they can salvage of their playing days.

I too am good with them not being here but i don’t have to like it lol ... honestly her best shot to go pro here is to come out this year with the weaker class.

Sorry CD I’m not sure I follow?

Sorry, Lucy...just having a little fun with your typo. As Rickster, said...couldn't resist. Also, knew you would be a good sport.

We all make 'em...it's just especially gratifying when the error becomes an actual word that changes the content in humorous ways. Hoping some light teasing of each other can keep things light and help us bond as a community.

Now, there was one recent typo I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (hint: It had to do with another poster's inserting an "s" into the name of a certain fabulous European young lady whom we all love).

I also went way out on a limb when another poster transposed the t and final a in her name. Had to reach back to the 1700's for that one. The curse of a liberal arts education!

Last edited:
Just having a little fun with your typo, Lucy. As Rickster, said...couldn't resist. Also, knew you would be a good sport.

We all make 'em...it's just especially gratifying when the error becomes an actual word that changes the content in humorous ways.

Now, there was one recent typo I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole (hint: It had to do with another poster's inserting an "s" into the name of a certain fabulous European young lady whom we all love).
I also went way out on a limb when another poster transposed the t and final a in her name. Had to reach back to the 1700's for that one. The curse of a liberal arts education!

Well duh on my part. Missed it not once but twice! Love your posts CD!

Evina is the devil to all VolNation 🤬

I would have loved to have seen a capacity crowd go completely silent when Elvira was introduced or shot free throws.

Well duh on my part. Missed it not once but twice! Love your posts CD!

And I always enjoy yours, Lucy. Your posts are intelligent, inquisitive, and above all else, supportive of the players, coaches, and program. What a great group we have here!

I can overdo it quite a bit at times, so glad you guys are good sports. I hope it never comes off as snarky (that's reserved for the ones who appear to just want to tear down the players and program or have an axe to grind against Kellie). Anyway, I'm humbled by the depth of knowledge here, love (most of) the exchanges, and learn so much good basketball stuff.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the Zoom meeting posted in another tgread featuring Kyra Elzy, Nikki McCray-Penson, and Kellue swapping Pat Summitt stories. The LV Sisterhood wad on full display! Funny and moving.

I think Evina is a fine young woman who found herself in a difficult position. I hope she is happy and wish her well except when she is playing us. The two things I wish she had done differently:
Not answered the reporters question in the locker room. With a little more maturity she might have found a way to deflect a really gotcha question
Given Kellie a chance. Widows were always going to be open for her. Kellie deserved a fair hearing.

Evina was the scapegoat for Holly's failures as a coach by her loyal backers, who bad-mouthed her play all season...then really went for the jugular after that interview. Fans were tearing apart her character when all she did was say what everyone already knew. Honestly, I don't think her leaving had anything to do with not giving Kellie a chance. She was just done with Tennessee for a whole host of other reasons.

Maybe if fans hadn't treated her like sh!t, she wouldn't have left Knoxville with two middle fingers extended. Crucifying her for not taking the high road when the fans sure as hell didn't is a bit rich.

Yes, Lucy, Evina should have given Kellie a chance.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I think the player tensions could not have been mended. Lots of bad blood... nothing against Kellie at all

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back