Trouble In Texas

Texas alum can do what they want. So can Texas football recruits. The alumni isn't in a good position if their goal is to win football games. That might not be their goal.

Seriously. What is wrong with these people running around looking for reasons to dredge up the past so they can be offended? What kind of way is that to live?
The song is the past. The players are just saying nope. Why would anyone make players sing a song?

Reactions: volfanbill
Seriously. What is wrong with these people running around looking for reasons to dredge up the past so they can be offended? What kind of way is that to live?

It's the way of those who seek to destroy, not to build or maintain. As a philosopher once said, "At no time in recorded history were the censors, book banners, book burners, etc ever the good guys."

The Whole the song is Racist is a huge stretch as well....Robert E. Lee use to say the Eye's of the South are upon you....then One of Texas former leaders morphed that into The Eye's of Texas are upon you, then some Texas guys turned it into a song...and back in the day Maybe not a 100% fact some people in Black Face song the song.

Now the song has Racist ties and can't be song. IF that is the criteria for such things then we must ban everything. The first condition of progress is the removal of censorship ..G.B. Shaw.

Clearly onside is not about Progress but control.

yep...why wasn't Dr. Seuss racist when Barry & Michelle O'Bama praised him and said how much they loved him from the White House?
Or when generations of kids regardless of their skin tone enjoyed those fun stories without an inkling that there were any racial undertones. We are descending into national insanity.

The Whole the song is Racist is a huge stretch as well....Robert E. Lee use to say the Eye's of the South are upon you....then One of Texas former leaders morphed that into The Eye's of Texas are upon you, then some Texas guys turned it into a song...and back in the day Maybe not a 100% fact some people in Black Face song the song.

Now the song has Racist ties and can't be song. IF that is the criteria for such things then we must ban everything. The first condition of progress is the removal of censorship ..G.B. Shaw.

Clearly onside is not about Progress but control.
There is an amazingly illogical and unjust trend today. People from US history aren't being judged in the context of their own time and culture. They are being judged by today's mores.... and a specific subset of those- PC/cancel/far left... whatever you want to call it. But it isn't those people who are being "convicted and punished". It is people today who neither participated in nor can do anything about past transgressions.

And the truly telling hypocrisy... is that this comes from people who insist we should not judge Muslim terrorists or call someone who violated the law entering the country an "illegal alien" or insist that people not be punished for the crimes that they themselves have committed. It is if they have an object of hate made up of Western Culture generally, American exceptionalism specifically, and Judeo-Christian values broadly... and no level of aggression or hypocrisy is out of bounds or "immoral" when trying to destroy those things.

This is what we get when man declares himself God and accepts no objective moral authority outside himself. They seem to think they're moving society forward. In fact, they are pushing us toward primitive tribalism where "might makes right" and the protections provided to all by objective morality and rule of law are declared... ILLEGAL.

Last edited:
Social Media is the downfall of human civilization.
Too many PC folks with Twitter who just look for things to get bent out of shape over.

Oh, it started long before that. I learned cancel culture in church line a good little boy. Boycott Disney! Boycott Amy Grant! Boycott Proctor & Gamble! Boycott Last Temptation of Christ! Didn't need Social Media for that.

Funny, the original cancel culture was started by the same people who started giving their kids participation trophies... Hrm...

As for the song itself... Music history and musicology is in my wheelhouse. The usage as a minstrel song at one point is unfortunate, but the origins before and usage after that period are not problematic in my opinion. The University did their due diligence and I am in agreement with their determination.

What does make me upset are the openly racist donors who had no problem mocking, insulting, and belittling the black students. If I were the University, I would send their check back and ask them to find another institution to take their money. Accepting money from open bigots is not a good look.

Oh, it started long before that. I learned cancel culture in church line a good little boy. Boycott Disney! Boycott Amy Grant! Boycott Proctor & Gamble! Boycott Last Temptation of Christ! Didn't need Social Media for that.

Funny, the original cancel culture was started by the same people who started giving their kids participation trophies... Hrm...
You are right...it started long before. But social media has taken the regional cancel culture and turned into a national and worldwide culture.

Twitter is the gasoline on the flame of that culture.

Reactions: 508mikey
You are right...it started long before. But social media has taken the regional cancel culture and turned into a national and worldwide culture.

Twitter is the gasoline on the flame of that culture.

And that is why I haven't been on Twitter in months. It's like a moth light that just attracts pissed off people.

Cancel culture isn't boycotts. If those who don't like Dr Suess or by some incredibly convoluted logic deem them racist would simply not buy them... then you have the equivalent of what you mentioned. One of the LEGITIMATE ways to express your disagreement with someone else in a free society is to disassociate from them. That means denying someone your business in this case.

It does NOT legitimize imposing that decision on everyone else.

A few years back several million Christians had a very quiet boycott campaign against JC Penney who had employed Ellen as a spokes person at a time when her sexuality was a high profile topic in the media. It didn't make the MSM news. Just people following their convictions to not support a company that supported views that disagreed with their biblical beliefs. They didn't mount any other threats or attempt to bully Penney's into doing what they wanted.

When Ellen's contract was up... she was just as quietly not renewed.

Those are not the kinds of things cancel culture does. They make up these ridiculous offences... then demand that NO ONE be able to buy the product or listen to a person or whatever. The "offended" they claim to represent are almost always a very obscure minority coupled to people who have been convinced they are "victims" even if there is no tangible proof that they are. They and their allies in politics, big tech, and media bully companies into complying with their demands regardless of what the customer or other people with different opinions want.

Their behavior has a parallel but it isn't to the examples you gave or any like them. It parallels what the Brown Shirts did in Germany prior to Hitler gaining control.

I think you are confused about what cancel culture is and how it does what it does.

So you think churches are the ones who started participation trophies? If that's what you are suggesting... then you are very wrong.

And that is why I haven't been on Twitter in months. It's like a moth light that just attracts pissed off people.
I didn't vote for Trump... twice. I am a conservative who voted 3rd party. At some point, the lesser evil is still too evil.

That said, when Twitter muzzled Trump... I turned them off. I never posted and only signed up to get Vol stuff (which I miss). But, yep, I am boycotting them to do my minuscule part to send them a message that allowing only one side to speak (even when they're far more radical than Trump) is not something I want to support.

They get paid by advertisers. Less clicks = Less revenues.

So you think churches are the ones who started participation trophies? If that's what you are suggesting... then you are very wrong.

No, and I'm sorry for the confusion on that point.

Participation trophies were given out by the same adults who took part in cancel/boycott whatever I mentioned at the beginning. I'm too old to have gotten one, but my little brother was right at the front end of them. Overly privileged Boomers wanting to live vicariously through their offspring and taking it personally if they, er, their child didn't get a trophy. But for some reason we keep blaming the generation they were handed to instead of the needy snots who bought the trophies for them.

No, and I'm sorry for the confusion on that point.

Participation trophies were given out by the same adults who took part in cancel/boycott whatever I mentioned at the beginning. I'm too old to have gotten one, but my little brother was right at the front end of them. Overly privileged Boomers wanting to live vicariously through their offspring and taking it personally if they, er, their child didn't get a trophy. But for some reason we keep blaming the generation they were handed to instead of the needy snots who bought the trophies for them.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm technically a boomer. I can promise you that none of my kids got participation trophies.

Reactions: AshG
Participation trophies must be a late millennial/Gen Z thing. I'm 33 and played every sport possible growing up. I never once received a trophy just for playing. The champ got a big trophy, second place got a little one, and that was it.

College football players at Texas are not guilty of receiving participation trophies in sports.

VN Store

Back