Trey Wallace on TN players in transfer portal

Did anyone listen to that entire podcast about transfer rules? That was pretty interesting. I didnt know hardly any info about transferring. What I really thought was interesting was the transfer portal. Only the head coach can see it. Also, that the school can immediately revoke the scholly from a player that decides to transfer. I guess if you think about transferring, you better have a really good idea where you want to go.

As far as losing these guys, it kind of sucks, especially Allen. But, thag opens up more spots for Pruitt to maybe upgrade. I kind of thought Williams would be more of a player because of his speed. But look at where these guys are transferring to, Charlotte and Lamar. I mean lol.

I did listen, though I believe he had a few things wrong/outdated info. He mentioned "permission to contact", but that is actually the system that just got replaced 2 months ago. There is no permission needed, as he alluded to (he said a kid had to get a signature from the coach, that is the old system). The new system is called "Notice to transfer" - the student TELLS the school he is transferring and the burden is then on the school to get him into the portal within 2 business days. Bylaw 13.1.1.3.1 - "A student-athlete may initiate the notification of transfer process by providing his or her institution with a written notification of transfer at any time."

Yes, once notified, a school can take a scholly...but it is good until the end of that term. If, like these guys, they give notice between terms, then it can be canceled immediately. It might be smarter to give notice once school is back on January. For the school, it doesn't offer much benefit to do so imo. Like right now, an extra scholly isn't needed. It's needed in August. If you might want the kid back, no need to burn bridges imo. But yes that's a real consideration for the student.

I remember the excitement in the RF when Williams committed. Ya gotta love recruiting. I don't think he ever played

The whole system seems stacked against the student athlete, if a coach wants to switch schools he doesn't need to sit out a year. If a players scholarship is pulled does he still sit out a year?

Will that open up more scollys. We all knew it would happen. Some leaving. The ones that leave for faimly or health cant blame them. But there going to other ones that leave because Pruitt is changing things. I got no problem with that.
Get the hard chargers up in here!!! Get the softie p-ssies outta here!!!!

Well he looks pretty darn accurate on two of them.

Too bad we could never utilize the speed from Latrell Williams and Tyler Byrd.

I wouldn't rule out Laszlo Toser, PK either.

If only HC can view portal, why is Wallace announcing Vols in portal. Cheap move. McBride and Osbourne announced, but Williams and Allen should have expected privacy.

Reactions: BreatheUT
If only HC can view portal, why is Wallace announcing Vols in portal. Cheap move. McBride and Osbourne announced, but Williams and Allen should have expected privacy.

How did he see it? Is Wallace a head coach somewhere?

The whole system seems stacked against the student athlete, if a coach wants to switch schools he doesn't need to sit out a year. If a players scholarship is pulled does he still sit out a year?

If a coach leaves, it is either due being fired or from him going to a better school
Imagine this: Helton gets job at WKU. He convinces JG, Chandler, Banks, Jennings & Warrior to also leave UT.
To prevent this, the NCAA put in a sit out year when transferring

Reports say these players are either transferring or exploring the option to do so:

• Jordan Allen
  • Will McBride
  • Marquill Osborne
  • Seth Washington
  • Latrell Williams

If a coach leaves, it is either due being fired or from him going to a better school
Imagine this: Helton gets job at WKU. He convinces JG, Chandler, Banks, Jennings & Warrior to also leave UT.
To prevent this, the NCAA put in a sit out year when transferring
So, make that specific scenario against the rules. Otherwise, students should have the same opportunity to switch schools as their coaches do.

Reactions: k-town_king
Think they've loosened stance some over recent years. Only thing about the ability to transfer out when coach changes, without sitting, would put mass exodus on schools when coaches are fired. Can you imagine how many would have transfered out last year when we were burning mattresses, firing AD's, and laughing stock of college football during our search? Not sure we'd have had enough to dress this year.

Think they've loosened stance some over recent years. Only thing about the ability to transfer out when coach changes, without sitting, would put mass exodus on schools when coaches are fired. Can you imagine how many would have transfered out last year when we were burning mattresses, firing AD's, and laughing stock of college football during our search? Not sure we'd have had enough to dress this year.

My point exactly

And apparently reporters

Reporters don't have direct access, Wallace said at some point in that show that the info came from a friend that is a D1 coach. His source mast have been looking at an old list, because there are five more players in the database.

The names in the transfer portal are not supposed to be public knowledge, because a player listing himself there does not necessarily mean that they are going to transfer.

If Wallace's source was revealed, that person would be subject to penalties. The only people with access to names are members of coaching staffs that are permissible recruiters and compliance staff at each school. It was made clear to everyone that signed up for it that there are penalties, including reduce recruiting contact for a coach, for revealing names publicly or supplying those names to journalists.

Allen’s mom has been battling cancer, if he’s looking to transfer you would think he gets a waiver. If he stays he’s in the two deep this Spring

Don't see that happening, but good for the goose.....

VN Store

Back