Trey Smith: you're in my 1st round

Love Trey, but he's a guard in the NFL. Guards don't go in the top 10. That along with his condition is why his stock isn't as high as our fans want to think.
Trey was being favorably compared to Quenton Nelson after his freshmen year and Nelson went 6th. Then the blood clots happened. And more importantly for his draft status, Will Friend happened...

What Will Friend did is a statistical anomaly.

He inherited 5* that was on a Top 15 path. This guy is at best a Day 3 pick.

He got another 5* transfer that was on a Day 1/early Day 2 path. This guy after 1 year had to come back because he was a late round flier at best.

He signed 2 5* OL. Through 2 years, the only way they will be at the draft is watching in the audience.

Trey is a guard in a tackle’s body... he run blocks better than he pass blocks... if he had the feet and better technique, he would have been a 1st round pick at LT. The blood clot issue cost him a couple of rounds as well, see him going in the 5th rd.

This is nuts!

What's even the risk of drafting Trey Smith at this point? Most 6th round picks are expected to be busts. Even if there's a 25% chance of him being a serviceable player for a few years, he'd be a bargain here. And dude has Pro Bowl level talent. I don't understand the logic of NFL GMs. He was worth a gamble in the 3rd or 4th round; he's an extreme value pick at this point.

Reactions: London Vol
This is nuts!

What's even the risk of drafting Trey Smith at this point? Most 6th round picks are expected to be busts. Even if there's a 25% chance of him being a serviceable player for a few years, he'd be a bargain here. And dude has Pro Bowl level talent. I don't understand the logic of NFL GMs. He was worth a gamble in the 3rd or 4th round; he's an extreme value pick at this point.

It’s gotta be his health concerns.

It’s gotta be his health concerns.

It is, but in the 6th round, it makes more sense to gamble on someone with elite potential who has health concerns, than it does to take some middling player who has a low probability of ever making an NFL roster. If Trey starts for 2 seasons and then retires, that's still much more than the average 6th round pick.

At this point, it's probably better for Trey not to get drafted at all, so he can choose where to go.

Reactions: Tnphil
Big, strong men his size don’t grow on trees. I have to believe his technique issues are fixable in the NFL and he will catch on somewhere and become a good player. He seems like a great person and teammate, who wouldn’t want that? Trey, you will show them all...

I watched his senior bowl practice stuff and his technique at times was dreadful. On pass pro he would get way to far forward with his chest and got beat easily. That is fixable, but should not be present still. That has really hurt his grade as well.

The reality is that it shouldn't be happening at this point in his career if he'd ever had competent coaching. The fact that it has happened, is just another indictment on UT as a place where talent goes to be wasted.

If Heupel does anything at UT, I hope he changes that reality.

This is nuts!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of teams took him off their boards completely.

A lot of health concerns are acls, ankles, something like that. Trey’s is life threatening. It’s not the same as taking a gamble on a guy with a bad knee.

Besides Trey not getting drafted in the first 3 rounds, the other thing that bugged me about the draft is when they highlighted a player's skills during a game, the opposing team was often TN (basically our LOWlights). For example, both of Kentucky's pick six's were shown. :(
They were highlighting our QB, and the great QB coach we had...By the way, where is coach these days?? LOL

VN Store

Back