Trey Smith: you're in my 1st round

London Vol

Having watched Day 2 of the draft I am plain embarrassed for Trey Smith. Thanks to the clustf@ck of the last three years this ultra talented player does not make the top 104 picks. Urgh. You even came back for your senior year and this is your reward.

Good luck tomorrow and remember many players out perform their draft number (didn't some quarterback picked 199 get 6 Super Bowl rings). You will be just fine and I still bet one day you will be off to the Pro Bowl.

Thanks for your time at Tennessee you will always be remembered as a LEGEND.

JUST IN NO 226 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Good luck big fella

Go Vols

Last edited:
Having watched Day 2 of the draft I am plain embarrassed for Trey Smith. Thanks to the clustf@ck of the last three years this ultra talented player does not make the top 104 picks. Urgh. You even came back for your senior year and this is your reward.

Good luck tomorrow and remember many players out perform their draft number (didn't some quarterback picked 199 get 6 Super Bowl rings). You will be just fine and I still bet one day you will be off to the Pro Bowl.

Go Vols
Agree. While I no longer follow the NFL, Trey Smith will be a star IMO. Besides sheer talent, his intangibles (determination, integrity, will to win, etc.) are off the charts. Some team is going to get a bargain with this fine young man.:cool:

Go Vols
7 rings.. and counting

Reactions: T_Vol376
The pre-draft scouting reports I saw recognized his talent, but said his techniques were terrible. I guess Pruitt's best friend was not the best of coaches.

Correct.. The orange colored glasses pump up his status here unfortunately. He might have achieved that level with better coaching. However, it might just be who/what he is. That is the real reason he isn't higher. The unknown. If his problems are correctable, once in camp he'll climb the depth chart. If not, he'll get sent home.

The pre-draft scouting reports I saw recognized his talent, but said his techniques were terrible. I guess Pruitt's best friend was not the best of coaches.
I watched his senior bowl practice stuff and his technique at times was dreadful. On pass pro he would get way to far forward with his chest and got beat easily. That is fixable, but should not be present still. That has really hurt his grade as well.

I though He would go in the 3rd. His medical condition is the only reason he was not a top 10 pick. If he stays health, he will be a pro bowler for many years.
No, bad coaching has hurt him as much or more. He didn't have the most favorable view in NFL scouts minds, technique wise.

I agree with most of the replies above, I was embarrassed the lack of coaching he received, I thought that was what Pruitt actually brought to the table. I wanted to acknowledge the commitment from the big guy (not sure if I would have retired with the blood clots situation and then he played for two years without practicing midweek, remarkable).

The dictionary definition for VFL ~ Trey Smith

Lets hope you get some good news today :)

I though He would go in the 3rd. His medical condition is the only reason he was not a top 10 pick. If he stays health, he will be a pro bowler for many years.
Love Trey, but he's a guard in the NFL. Guards don't go in the top 10. That along with his condition is why his stock isn't as high as our fans want to think.

Certainly agree with OP.

He's in my first round too. Plays with a heart the size of an elephant.

Last edited:
Love Trey, but he's a guard in the NFL. Guards don't go in the top 10. That along with his condition is why his stock isn't as high as our fans want to think.

Yes. His condition, his liability at tackle against the better pass rushers, and poor coaching/development by Pruitts staff has cost him a good chunk of change.

Interestingly enough Bama's Leatherwood which everyone said was a 1st rounder as a OT, is now being discussed as an OG in the NFL long term. Not much love for most of the OT's coming out of college into this draft this year.

Reactions: savannahfan
Interestingly enough Bama's Leatherwood which everyone said was a 1st rounder as a OT, is now being discussed as an OG in the NFL long term. Not much love for most of the OT's coming out of college into this draft this year.
But still 14 OTs drafted in the first 3 rounds compared with 5 OGs.

Besides Trey not getting drafted in the first 3 rounds, the other thing that bugged me about the draft is when they highlighted a player's skills during a game, the opposing team was often TN (basically our LOWlights). For example, both of Kentucky's pick six's were shown. :(

He’s a guard at the next level, and that’s not a position that gets drafted super highly, so I’ll disagree he is a top ten pick. But maybe an early second rounder or very late first

Health problems, are a concern. Technique problems are also a problem, but they can be ironed out (Thanks Friend!). He will be an NFL All-Pro. I am convinced. Good luck, Trey! Thank you for giving your all for Tennessee! We'll be watching!

Said in the other thread the blood clots, Pruitt and a 3-7 team hurt his chances.
Think he'll make a practice squad some place, hope it's TN. From a cost of living stand point he could save money vs some team out in Cali or NY.
If he stays on it for a few years and then finds a job some where in the sports world he still would be able to live a good life.
Wish him the best

VN Store

Back