Trey Smith: you're in my 1st round

Honestly, Trey couldn't have landed in a better spot. Great organization that is committed to winning, great offensive coaches that will help him with his techniques, great set of lineman to learn from and use as examples, and to a person like Trey the late round pick will do nothing but be a motivator.

And with Mahomes on the cusp of greatness he could have multiple rings in the next few years

He's a champion in all aspects. GTFOH

Don't get me wrong I love Trey! I was completely making fun of you implying someone is worthy of being drafted in the first round only off their character! Like Mother Teresa was first round material.

Reactions: LittleVol
When Trey says he'll "never forget", who does he hold a grudge against? I can think of numerous possibilities.

No, bad coaching has hurt him as much or more. He didn't have the most favorable view in NFL scouts minds, technique wise.
Could be also lack if practice. Wasn't he held out of hitting drills for last two years? Or am I not remembering that correctly,?

Could be also lack if practice. Wasn't he held out of hitting drills for last two years? Or am I not remembering that correctly,?
Last year, I think.. The medical issues weren't the only reason he dropped. I hate it for him. He came to be part of Tennessee resurgence, the problem was/is, "management" didn't/doesn't share that vision

Having watched Day 2 of the draft I am plain embarrassed for Trey Smith. Thanks to the clustf@ck of the last three years this ultra talented player does not make the top 104 picks. Urgh. You even came back for your senior year and this is your reward.

Good luck tomorrow and remember many players out perform their draft number (didn't some quarterback picked 199 get 6 Super Bowl rings). You will be just fine and I still bet one day you will be off to the Pro Bowl.

Thanks for your time at Tennessee you will always be remembered as a LEGEND.

JUST IN NO 226 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Good luck big fella

Go Vols
Trey (God bless him) has a life threatening illness. His draft position had NOTHING to do with his time at UT. Without the benefit of a combine, it should have been expected that his stock would tumble. We’re in the realm of signing bonuses. Based on the protocol he was supposedly following at UT, I doubt he would have played in the NFL. I hope he makes it, but don’t get your hopes up.

"Trey, you are in my first round", really? I don't know which one is worse, the fact that you typed this or that you think he will read it

I know Trey and his family very well and yes his past health issues hurt him. It's one thing to develop these issues when you are already in the league. But already having them before going in is another thing....Trey just finished 3 days of rookie camp this past week and now getting ready for OTA's with the vet's. Trey signed a 4 year contract with KC. He'll get time to develop and as long as his health stays good like it has the past 2 years he'll do well with the Chiefs.

Trey (God bless him) has a life threatening illness. His draft position had NOTHING to do with his time at UT. Without the benefit of a combine, it should have been expected that his stock would tumble. We’re in the realm of signing bonuses. Based on the protocol he was supposedly following at UT, I doubt he would have played in the NFL. I hope he makes it, but don’t get your hopes up.

Sure it did. It was pointed out in his draft grade that he had relatively poor technique, which was unsurprising given the coaching he received at UT.

Trey Smith, IOL, Tennessee
2021 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: OG Trey Smith, Tennessee
Tennessee OL Trey Smith: 2021 NFL Draft profile and rankings

Sure it did. It was pointed out in his draft grade that he had relatively poor technique, which was unsurprising given the coaching he received at UT.

Trey Smith, IOL, Tennessee
2021 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: OG Trey Smith, Tennessee
Tennessee OL Trey Smith: 2021 NFL Draft profile and rankings

“Smith is slow-footed and has adequate lateral agility. He’s not fluid, and he’s stiff.”
Coaching?
What you’re taking about is the difference in being drafted in the 3rd round versus the 2nd. Blood clots were far and away the reason for his draft spot.

“Smith is slow-footed and has adequate lateral agility. He’s not fluid, and he’s stiff.”
Coaching?
What you’re taking about is the difference in being drafted in the 3rd round versus the 2nd. Blood clots were far and away the reason for his draft spot.

You're trying way too hard to disregard how bad of oline coaching we have had at UT since Sam Pittman left after Dooley was fired.

Smith has room for technical growth, but his ceiling is as a starting guard in a gap/power run scheme with little appeal for any other scheme or position.

There’s a ton of raw power in his game. His lower leg drive and ability to move players stands out on tape, but there are athletic limitations and technical flaws to his game.

Smith telegraphs his assignments for starters and often looks at who is going to block before the snap, which is correctable, but a bad habit.

He also has a bad tendency to pop straight up in the air after the snap, forcing his pad level and center of gravity to rise. It exposes his chest, widens his base, and exacerbates his questionable NFL athletic ability.

Main weaknesses: Lack of range shows up in run game and pass sets. Long first step, causing him to overshoot his landmark and lose positioning. Needs better footwork and hand clinch for improved sustain. Will cheat secure block to save time getting up to linebacker on combos. Plays with hitch and outside hands with pass punch. Below-average body control and recovery potential. Loses balance and positioning against rush counters. Struggles to redirect weight after biting on fakes in pass pro

Reactions: Remy
You're trying way too hard to disregard how bad of oline coaching we have had at UT since Sam Pittman left after Dooley was fired.

Smith has room for technical growth, but his ceiling is as a starting guard in a gap/power run scheme with little appeal for any other scheme or position.

There’s a ton of raw power in his game. His lower leg drive and ability to move players stands out on tape, but there are athletic limitations and technical flaws to his game.

Smith telegraphs his assignments for starters and often looks at who is going to block before the snap, which is correctable, but a bad habit.

He also has a bad tendency to pop straight up in the air after the snap, forcing his pad level and center of gravity to rise. It exposes his chest, widens his base, and exacerbates his questionable NFL athletic ability.

Main weaknesses: Lack of range shows up in run game and pass sets. Long first step, causing him to overshoot his landmark and lose positioning. Needs better footwork and hand clinch for improved sustain. Will cheat secure block to save time getting up to linebacker on combos. Plays with hitch and outside hands with pass punch. Below-average body control and recovery potential. Loses balance and positioning against rush counters. Struggles to redirect weight after biting on fakes in pass pro
No, I’m not. The coaching was poor. However, players with bad coaching still get drafted high. Coaching is correctable. Most of the things you quoted aren’t.
If you’ve heard the draft analysts interviewed, they said far and away it was the uncertainty of his health.

No, I’m not. The coaching was poor. However, players with bad coaching still get drafted high. Coaching is correctable. Most of the things you quoted aren’t.
If you’ve heard the draft analysts interviewed, they said far and away it was the uncertainty of his health.

Not correctable? Did you even read the list of quotes?

Smith has room for technical growth
technical flaws to his game
Smith telegraphs his assignments for starters and often looks at who is going to block before the snap, which is correctable
He also has a bad tendency to pop straight up in the air after the snap
Long first step, causing him to overshoot his landmark and lose positioning. Needs better footwork and hand clinch for improved sustain. Will cheat secure block to save time getting up to linebacker on combos. Plays with hitch and outside hands with pass punch
Everything above is a product of coaching, and is correctable.

So who are all of these other players that have had demonstrably poor coaching their entire college careers, and are still taken in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft?

Not correctable? Did you even read the list of quotes?

Smith has room for technical growth
technical flaws to his game
Smith telegraphs his assignments for starters and often looks at who is going to block before the snap, which is correctable
He also has a bad tendency to pop straight up in the air after the snap
Long first step, causing him to overshoot his landmark and lose positioning. Needs better footwork and hand clinch for improved sustain. Will cheat secure block to save time getting up to linebacker on combos. Plays with hitch and outside hands with pass punch
Everything above is a product of coaching, and is correctable.

So who are all of these other players that have had demonstrably poor coaching their entire college careers, and are still taken in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft?
Technique is correctable. We agree, so not sure why the hostility. Even the poster, who is close to the family, said it’s primarily the medical concerns. We are talking about a life altering, and potentially career ending issue. Further, could Trey’s technique have suffered because he wasn’t getting ANY contact during regular practice? He wasn’t getting contact practice because he was on a regimen of blood thinners during the week. Not sure why this is even controversial.

This article says it plainly.
Chiefs explain why Trey Smith fell to them in the first place

Last edited:
Technique is correctable. We agree, so not sure why the hostility. Even the poster, who is close to the family, said it’s primarily the medical concerns. We are talking about a life altering, and potentially career ending issue. Further, could Trey’s technique have suffered because he wasn’t getting ANY contact during regular practice? He wasn’t getting contact practice because he was on a regimen of blood thinners during the week. Not sure why this is even controversial.

This article says it plainly.
Chiefs explain why Trey Smith fell to them in the first place

Right...and even when he was out in 2018 getting treatment, he was still being considered a first round draft pick, before he went through 2 more years of bad coaching, and producing mediocre film.

You're the one that made the statement that coaching had zero to do with his draft placement. I never said that his blood clotting issue didn't contribute, just that it's not wholly responsible for him falling to the 6th round.

Last edited:
Right...and even when he was out in 2018 getting treatment, he was still being considered a first round draft pick, before he went through 2 more years of bad coaching, and producing mediocre film.

You're the one that made the statement that coaching had zero to do with his draft placement. I never said that his blood clotting issue didn't contribute, just that it's not wholly responsible for him falling to the 6th round.
One, there’s a little thing called hyperbole. So, let’s just say that 95% of his draft status had to do with his health condition. The article I linked couldn’t be any more clear.

The talk of Trey being a first round pick was just that, talk.

Holy Cow, Boys. At the bottom of this article is a poll on which players jersey will you buy! Go, click on Trey!

Way I saw it, it was a combination of both issues. As to Kansas City bragging about him being the steal of the draft, he was because it's pretty obvious that several team completely wrote him off. And even though some teams might have considered him, perhaps the Chiefs doctors were the only ones who felt confident enough to clear him. However, another reason he fell was by draft, every team knew what the other teams were targeting. By the seventh, they knew who had been considering him, and who wasn't. Maybe a gamble to a certain extent, but it got Trey to a strong contending team.

Back to "don't get your hopes up" about Trey playing in the NFL. How many times has he proven the Debbie Downers who got their MDs from the Georgia School of Auto Body and Fender Repair EMT and Medical School wrong? I do have to agree the poor coaching he received on The Hill hurt his draft stock as well as some of his personal limitations but I suspect he'll play. The Chiefs by the way let go of one entire side of their OL which went to the SB last year so he has a good shot at playing in the NFL IMO.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back