Trey Smith Press Conference

I think if he got good feedback regarding the draft he should go pro, would love to have him back but he has given his all for Tennessee so I stand behind his decision regardless. I will say, I never really paid attention to specific lineman during games, but Trey Smith changed that. Watching him maul guys over and over was so much fun to watch. He also did it the right way, it was never about him and he let his play speak for itself. Kid is a class act. Best lineman I have had the joy to watch at Tennessee.

Reactions: TopsideVol
No insider info here, but I predict he will stay in school. I don't see any NFL team making a big investment on a player with his history of serious health issues -- no matter how talented he might be.

UT has done an incredible job, IMO, of creating a program for him to follow that has allowed him to remain healthy and stay on the field. If he stays, he can get one more year of separation between the draft and whatever concern NFL teams may have about his health. It seems to me that it can only help his long term professional aspirations.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Lol are you going to challenge everyone with a slightly different opinion yo bet? Classic grade school debate skills

What different opinions?

I'm not sure I want to know, but Imma ask anyway. What does your username mean?

Mel Kiper has rated Trey as the 6th best Guard in the nation.

Guards are alot less valuable than Tackles.

In 2019, the 6th Guard taken was pick #131 (4th Round).

If I'm Trey, the math is simple: Stay in school and try to raise my stock.

I’d take Trey any day. Check the film. They. Take oline and Dline first round skill players later. Someone would take him if he passed the physical
You have orange colored glasses on. Is he a first round talent? Hell yes he is. Arguably top 10-15. However when you weigh the chances with his health, you have to consider that just as much as his talent. I think him playing another year to show he can put together 2 straight years of playing would do him better than going into draft and falling to anywhere between 2 and 4th rounds

Mel Kiper has rated Trey as the 6th best Guard in the nation.

Guards are alot less valuable than Tackles.

In 2019, the 6th Guard taken was pick #131 (4th Round).

If I'm Trey, the math is simple: Stay in school and try to raise my stock.

Yes, but something is better than nothing. Even if he gets selected in a lower round his salary would be decent, especially when compared against playing in college another year and having medical issues that could perhaps end his career without ANY payday. For selfish reasons I want him to stay but his window of opportunity may be limited.

You have orange colored glasses on. Is he a first round talent? Hell yes he is. Arguably top 10-15. However when you weigh the chances with his health, you have to consider that just as much as his talent. I think him playing another year to show he can put together 2 straight years of playing would do him better than going into draft and falling to anywhere between 2 and 4th rounds
No I don’t it his decision but needs to go imo. Coming back won’t help his draft status. He’s a health risk but he has talent and that’s why you sign contracts. Make it while you can. Outside playing JG also was forced to run left because of his hand . He’s the only lineman we run behind: Best wishes for the kid

Reactions: CAVPUT
My gut is that he stays, has another productive year with a clean bill of health and goes top 15 in the 2021 draft.

Regardless of his decision, it was a pleasure watching him on Saturdays and I hope nothing but the best for this kid, which he deserves.

GBFO!

Besides Peyton, have any other Tennessee players had a press conference to announce their return? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Besides Peyton, have any other Tennessee players had a press conference to announce their return? I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Just the really really good ones, that can change the outlook of a team. It would be huge if he stayed. Not Peyton level, but just below.

And everybody needs to stop complaining. He's trying to raise his profile, hence his draft stock. It's the right move for him, to have a presser.

It's not like he's speaking with the royal 'we' or making baseless claims about death threats. He's holding a presser. He's earned the right to not have a bunch of UT fans giving him down the road about it.

BTW, he's staying. And I'm stoked about it.

Apparently according to a NFL draft writer for yahoo (Eric Edholm), the feeling in scouting circles is that he leaves for the draft. If that's the case and Trey falls to the mid-rounds I would love to see the Titans draft him. If they let Conklin walk, I feel like Trey can step in and play tackle, even as a rookie. Watching him and Lewan on the same team for the next 5 years would be a blast.

I think he's leaving.
The press conference is a way to thanks the staff, teammates, school and fans.
The question is what round are the people around him saying?
If it's 1st. You go. 2nd you probably need to go also.

As an owner though are you willing to risk it. 1 season no issues is a good start but I'd probably would like to see 2 if I'm having to pay.
He's got to do what's best for him at the end of the day.
Trey has been nothing but a bright spot for UT.
I wish him well

If he will be drafted its a no-brainer. He could play 20 years in the league but with his condition the money is on short term career. Get what you can while you can son!

For his sake I hope he goes pro. It's selfish to want him to come back to college.
Like people that say “if you don’t agree with me? You’re racist!” Good technique! I put it on him and his family and whatever feedback they received from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. If he got a first or second day grade, I could see the jump. He puts two consecutive seasons of incident free football together and he’s first day with much more guaranteed money. Kid’s bet on himself since this started, so I wouldn’t bet against him.

I figure he is going pro, which is a good call on his part. If he stays, I'll be very happy.

Just no way to know. We will all find out tomorrow!

VN Store

Back