Trey Smith- Leaving early or staying?

I love the VOLS and Trey Smith has been much of the reason for our recent successes. I've always hated when guys leave early, but in this case, I am convinced Trey needs to do what's best for Trey, not us fans. If his medical issue returns, he could be sidelined forever. Trey - take the money, provide for your family and hopefully you stay healthy and have a long career.

all you have to do is watch him play to know he should go, if medically cleared to go that is...I say thanks Trey...always be a VFL to me...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...WIN THE BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the NFL will allow him in the draft medically he is gone. His playing time could be cut off at any moment needs to grab what he can while he can. 100% healthy he would be a top 5 pick.

Agreed. And if I Trey picked up the phone and called me for advice, I would implore him to do exactly that. I feel like the guy is on borrowed time with what he’s already been through. Praying for him to get medical clearance from the NFL. The man deserves it.

Great respect for Trey. Support his decision 100%, no matter which way it goes.

And there is a strong argument for him to go pro if the draft grade looks good. Millions of arguments, in fact.

On the other hand, we each only get 80 or so years on this blue marble, and if you're really loving the people you're with, there's also a good argument that says staying with them another year is worth it. Especially if you can see Big Things Coming (Maybe).

So I don't know, I don't think the lad can really make a wrong decision here. Any direction he goes, I'll respect him for it.

Go Vols!

Looked like he tweaked a knee Saturday. An injury can happen anytime. Go get them $$$$

Go and make money. I never would hate on a kid for doing that. You best believe that I'd be a 2 yr guy even if they offered me even a 7th round draft pick. You can always get your degree later, you cant always play in the NFL.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
His draft status will depend greatly on each NFL teams medical staff advice. They may elect to draft him and pay him based on other cases of players with the same condition. There are probably too many factors to consider to draw a direct correlation.

OTOH, they could just as easily tell him to come back and if he is able to continue to manage his condition with this approach, it would improve his draft grade and potential for more money/higher draft grade.

We probably won’t know until February or March.

I usually hope players return but I hope he leaves. Even if he goes as an undrafted free agent, he’ll be one year closer to the 2nd contract which is where the real money is. Getting selected in the first few rounds would be a bonus in my mind.

From what I've read, Trey has not done any contact work during practice this season. Will that fly in the NFL? If so, he should go get paid.

For a dude who's career could end on any given play, he needs to go to the NFL ASAP and get that money. The only way he stays is if the NFL passess him over because of the associated risk.

He needs to do what is best for him. I so wish he would stay, but it is up to him and his family. I wish him all the luck in the world.

There’s no question he’s talented enough to be a high draft pick but his blood clot issues will scare some teams off. Im curious where he’ll be graded out at for the year and whether he’ll play inside or outside in the NFL. Didn’t think he was as good at tackle as he was this year at guard.

If he decides to go I wish him all the luck in the world. Life is too short and he should get paid and follow his dream while he’s able. He can always come back after his playing career is over and get his degree.

I've known Trey and his family for several years and talk with his Dad often. Out of respect for all of them I do not ask them personal questions. I got a sense back in early August Trey was going to play this season.....I think there will be several things that will go into their decision making in the next several weeks.

Trey graduates this month and I can 110% truthfully tell you that Trey loves the college game and the experience of the college game. During the past 2 seasons with his health issues Trey has prepared for his life and his visions for his future if football somehow isn't involved. Whatever they do or decide I'm 100% behind.

Selfishly I want him to stay but whatever he decides to do, I wish him the best.

Reactions: tnktm
For a dude who's career could end on any given play, he needs to go to the NFL ASAP and get that money. The only way he stays is if the NFL passess him over because of the associated risk.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the process works.

Blood clots in the lungs. Russell Okung OL for Chargers has the same condition and he is playing currently, but several other players were diagnosed and were unable to come back after treatment.
Was about to say this. Key is that there is only one that I know of that was able to come back after the diagnosis and treatment. I think Okung has been back since late October

Blood clots in the lungs. Russell Okung OL for Chargers has the same condition and he is playing currently, but several other players were diagnosed and were unable to come back after treatment.
I'm not sure that Okung has the same issue as Smith. Okung had a "one time" Pulmonary Embolism. Smiths are recurring. I may be wrong with Okung diagnosis....

Will big trey smith run for the money with his health a question or will he stay for his degree and play another year then make the jump. Hes got 1st round talent all over him but the blood clots is an issue unless they truly have it handled properly now.
Come back for that senior campaign mr smith! Let's win something big next year and leave the program better for it!
NFL

Here is the flip side. You hear the stories of Trey loving to push his opponent around. If some how he does not get a shot at the NFL, then he would miss that extra year at UT. I would think he want to know that at least some number of teams don't care before making the jump.

I hope he gets to go.The NFL needs people like him. Trey will be successful in what ever he does.

VN Store

Back