Trent Dilfer praises Heupel’s recruiting methods

Butch Jones was an amazing recruiter. Just couldn't develop talent, hurt his players with his way too physical practices, and created a bad culture.
Butch Jones chased Star counts, regardless of needed skills or character fit. He got all the accolades on signing day and then thought his job was complete.

I'll get on board with the "right kind of kids" over talent recruiting philosophy when one of these teams win a natty.

I'll get on board with the "right kind of kids" over talent recruiting philosophy when one of these teams win a natty.
The Portal changes everything.

That said, you probably need the character kids even with a little less talent to build a program. If you are going to go from that consistent 8-10 win program to a championship caliber program then you have to do REALLY well in the portal and/or get your share of the top HS players each year.

One thing the portal will force coaches to do is find PT for young players. IMO, Whitehead is less likely to be in the portal now than one week ago. If they can get Beckwith up to speed and playing some late in the year then that may change his trajectory too.

The portal creates a challenge for coaches. Play'em or lose'em. Guys who do it well will end up with better players.

The Portal changes everything.

That said, you probably need the character kids even with a little less talent to build a program. If you are going to go from that consistent 8-10 win program to a championship caliber program then you have to do REALLY well in the portal and/or get your share of the top HS players each year.

One thing the portal will force coaches to do is find PT for young players. IMO, Whitehead is less likely to be in the portal now than one week ago. If they can get Beckwith up to speed and playing some late in the year then that may change his trajectory too.

The portal creates a challenge for coaches. Play'em or lose'em. Guys who do it well will end up with better players.
Nobody is winning ships without elite players. Doesn't matter if they come from hs or the leftovers of other schools. If you can recruit one, you can recruit the other.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Nobody is winning ships without elite players. Doesn't matter if they come from hs or the leftovers of other schools. If you can recruit one, you can recruit the other.
are you truly that dense or are you just a troll?

It's really hard for a guy to make a difference on the field when he's sitting in a jail cell or ankle monitored in his living room.

Reactions: bigl3327
I mean...this is all well and good, but Dilfer is just people pleasing, and talking to his audience.

Here's what I will say.

We have been hit really hard by the attrition of the portal.
We still have the weight of the investigation hanging over us.

We cannot afford to mess up. We have 25 spots that MAY turn into 32 spots, if 7 of our current players transfer. Those players must transfer after the end of the fall semester in order to be eligible for us to get the spots, as I understand it. Meaning 7 players currently on the roster must transfer to get those spots. I don't wish that anyone who has stuck with us transfer, but I'm sure it will happen.

We cannot afford to have players who are academically ineligible.
We cannot afford to have players who are not going to go to class and do the hard work.
We cannot afford to have players who are going to have a me-first attitude and transfer when they don't see the field as quickly as they'd like.
We cannot afford to haver players who are going to get in trouble with the police and who are not being model citizens.

These things will happen, no matter what you do. But, you can mitigate these things by simply really trying to get kids that are talented, and that have good character, that will buy in to the program and develop for 3-4 years while they're here.

A kid can transfer without a second thought now. And the team (most of the time) suffers when they do. Coaches have to protect themselves and their programs by going about this the right way, and making absolutely sure that they get the best fits possible for their programs.

I believe that Heupel's way about going thing is like a stock that steadily increases as it builds on itself. It's not a volatile stock that will be way up one day, and then crash and burn the next. You want a program and a culture that continues to grow and develop and that is reliable.

Listen to his interviews after Missouri. He keeps saying, "We played well, but it was our preparation that was really impressive." Translation: If you don't get guys who do it right Sunday-Friday, then Saturday won't matter. I like the culture he is building.

I'm excited about where this program is heading. Hopefully, we will get a bowl, and maybe surprise some folks this year.

are you truly that dense or are you just a troll?
Calling someone names because you have no point makes you sound very intelligent. You can be a fan of something and still access the progress realistically and objectively.....something you pumpers really struggle to understand.

Calling someone names because you have no point makes you sound very intelligent.
You entirely missed the gist of a very clearly worded post so that you could express your negativism. So... are you too dense to understand what I was saying or are you what your posting history suggests you are... a troll?

You can be a fan of something and still access the progress realistically and objectively.....something you pumpers really struggle to understand.
And there's nothing in your posting history that suggests you're doing anything of the sort. I checked before suggesting you might be a troll. Almost universally condemning and negative.

"Progress" was EXACTLY what my post was about. You either didn't even read before responding to or else did not understand... either earns "dense".

Last edited:
Reactions: KptVFL
Calling someone names because you have no point makes you sound very intelligent. You can be a fan of something and still access the progress realistically and objectively.....something you pumpers really struggle to understand.

Huge difference between being realistic and objective and ONLY having negative things to say. Reminds me a lot of PeachfuzzVol.

Oh, and by the way, it's assess. Wow, I get it now. Feels good to be realistic and objective.

VN Store

Back