Treasure chest found in Rockies after 10 years

volmanbill

The future is bright
Staff member
A New Mexico treasure hunter revealed that his chest of gold, jewels and other valuables worth over $1 million has been found.

Ten years ago, Forrest Fenn gained a cult following when he announced that he had hidden the chest somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. He inspired tens of thousands to set out in search of his treasure, but the prize eluded everyone -- until now.

Treasure stash worth over $1 million found in Rocky Mountains after decade-long search

I remember hearing about this when he hid it. Very cool that someone found it while he was alive.

It’s weird that I don’t recall hearing about this ten years ago.

If so, would you have ventured out of your comfort zone to seek out something hidden in the vast places of 4 western states w/only that of the small clues given out? There was people that actually died trying to find that mystery buried treasure.
The old dude said he couldn't reveal the person who found it after 10 years of searching. Only that it was someone that lived back East. I was informed about this buried treasure when I watched Inside Edition a couple of years back.

If so, would you have ventured out of your comfort zone to seek out something hidden in the vast places of 4 western states w/only that of the small clues given out? There was people that actually died trying to find that mystery buried treasure.
The old dude said he couldn't reveal the person who found it after 10 years of searching. Only that it was someone that lived back East. I was informed about this buried treasure when I watched Inside Edition a couple of years back.
No, I wouldn’t have likely searched for it. I’m not much of a treasure hunter. Lol. I was just surprised that I don’t recall ever hearing about it.

No, I wouldn’t have likely searched for it. I’m not much of a treasure hunter. Lol. I was just surprised that I don’t recall ever hearing about it.

If only I was a younger man w/nothing else to do......and plenty of water & hiking boots.

This sounds cool until you learn that multiple people died looking for it. Then you realize how unnecessary it was.

One thing I think people kept overlooking when they were putting themselves in harm’s way: he reminded people that he was 80 years old when he placed the treasure and walked there from his vehicle.

Sure, it probably wasn’t 30 paces off the road but he wasn’t scaling steep precipices either.

I’d be interested in a reconciliation of his poem with the actual references, now that it’s been relegated to the academic.

I watched Josh Gates show on this. He followed a group of mothers and daughters out hiking and hunting. I hope he gets to do a follow up episode like he did for the guys who found the treasure from The Secret.

Reactions: volmanbill
10 years ago we were using all our collective energy convincing each other that Derek Dooley wasn’t going to suck.

VN Store

Back