Travis Henry

UTVolsFan28

OK, question...Why do teams feel Henry is NOT worth a 3rd RD draft choice? He is by no means out of his prime. I mean the guy went to the frickin pro bowl!!!!! Do most coaches figure their 3rd rd draft choice at TB will be a pro bowl caliber player? :huh: . The Titans wont give up a 3rd round pick for a player that could smooth over some hard feelings between fans and the management? (Alot of fans are not happy seeing their team taken apart). Henry makes only a little bit more than Antwan Smith does. I know he only has 1 year left on his contract but whats to say the Brown doesnt get hurt again this year(as he has every year), and Henry's goes for 1300-1500 yards...Maybe the better call would be cutting Brown loose and keeping Travis? JMO

he has had injury and fumbling problems. he whines if he doesnt start. he doesnt catch the ball out of the back field particualrly well.

but i agree with ya fan28. i say we get him. we could have one hell of a one two punch.

i don't think the titans should get henry. it would be a waste of money. running back is the least of the titans worries right now. chris brown is a good starter and he has solid backup already.

In Travis Henry's last full season as a starter (2003) he only lost 3 fumbles. He carried the ball 331 times for 1356 yards, 10 TDs and 76 first downs. With that many carries, he still managed 28 receptions for 158 yards and 1 TD. In 2002, he had 43 receptions for 309 yards and 1 TD. Henry had back-to-back 1,300+ yard seasons (2002 and 2003). Regarding injuries, he started all 16 games in 2002 and 15 games in 2003.

To compare, Brown only played in 11 games last season, rushing 220 times for 1067 yards, 6 TDs and 40 first downs. He caught 20 passes for 147 yards and 0 TDs. He also lost 4 fumbles. Yes, he lost more fumbles in 100 less carries than Travis Henry.

And oh how soon we forget. Henry was the good running back who did NOT whine while Jamal Lewis continued to start ahead of him. He made the most of his opportunities.... and is the all-time leading rusher in Tennessee history.

Likewise, he was clearly upset when the Bills drafted Willis McGahee. I would have too. However, he just played harder that season and retained his starting position and kept his mouth shut. And last season, when he got injured and then was benched for the remainder of the season (even when he got healthy) he kept his mouth shut. It was only AFTER the season that he made his wishes known to be traded. Football is his livelihood, and to sit on the bench during his prime years is not good for him. He is a pro-bowl running back remember.

So I praise the man for being a team player the last two seasons in Buffalo. Yes, the same Buffalo Bills that screwed Doug Flutie when all he was doing was winning games. And I don't fault him for wanting out. With McGahee's draft status and contract, the Bills can't afford NOT to start him. Henry's starting position was doomed from the beginning. The fact that the Bills will not trade him along with their history of stupid personel moves shows what kind of franchise they are and why they suck.

The problem is that not only do you have to give up a third round pick for him, but since he is in the last year of his contract you then have to assume that he will want a big contract next year if he plays well. The titans are not in a position to pay a guy who will be past his prime in a couple of years a lot of money. If you cannot sign him when his contract is up, then you just wasted a third round pick on a one year backup RB. I am a big fan of Henry, but this is a Titans team that is rebuilding with young talent....Henry is not the fix for this team. Brown is the better back if he stays healthy, and I realize that is a big IF, but he has the talent to be an elite back in the NFL. As far as the fumbles last year, I think 2 or maybe 3 of them came in the same game in a freak situation. Yhe only real knock on Brown is his health. I would love to see Henry come to Nashville, but if the titans give up too much for him they are shooting themselves in the foot. Someone mentioned in an above post that a lot of fans are not happy with the team being blown up and losing players, but they had no choice. The salary cap had a strangle hold on this team and that was the only way to dig out of the hole. If you start overpaying guys like Henry, which they would have to do to keep him more than a year, you just start salary cap hell all over again.

OK, I understand the issue with Henry's contract(it being his last year in it). But what about Brown? Hasn't he been with the Titans 3 years or so? If so he is coming due for a new contract. I may be biased as a vol fan but I still think Henry may be a better long term choice seeing Brown has not made it through a season yet. Maybe he is just planning on being "injured" till he gets a bigger payday?

Originally posted by UTVolsFan28@Jun 21, 2005 11:21 AM
OK, I understand the issue with Henry's contract(it being his last year in it). But what about Brown?  Hasn't he been with the Titans 3 years or so?  If so he is coming due for a new contract.  I may be biased as a vol fan but I still think Henry may be a better long term choice seeing Brown has not made it through a season yet.  Maybe he is just planning on being "injured" till he gets a bigger payday?
[snapback]106162[/snapback]​

I am not sure what the contract situation is with Brown, but he will not get a big contract unless he proves he can stay healthy. If he does stay healthy he is worth a big contract. Again, I am a big Henry fan but Brown when healthy is the better back and while the backup RB issue needs to be handled, unless the bills drop the price a bit I don't think you will see him as a titan this year.

I somtimes wonder if the Titans resist taking UT players because they want to distance themselves from UT and build an exclusive competitive following for themselves. I know that I would be a lot bigger fan of Titan football if they had more UT players. My dream would be for Peyton to become a Titan and have Jamal and Travis in the backfield...and of course, get rid of those awful blue uniforms..blue and red just doesn't fit TN..maybe green and orange,..I even like the other name I hear they were considering when they first moved to TN- the Copperheads..Copper colored helmuts would have been awesome with maybe black uniforms.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Jun 22, 2005 1:38 PM
I somtimes wonder if the Titans resist taking UT players because they want to distance themselves from UT and build an exclusive competitive following for themselves. I know that I would be a lot bigger fan of Titan football if they had more UT players. My dream would be for Peyton to become a Titan and have Jamal and Travis in the backfield...and of course, get rid of those awful blue uniforms..blue and red just doesn't fit TN..maybe green and orange,..I even like the other name I hear they were considering when they first moved to TN- the Copperheads..Copper colored helmuts would have been awesome with maybe black uniforms.
[snapback]106461[/snapback]​

I don't know. They did use a first round pick on Haynesworth a couple of years ago, and Troy Flemming is becoming a pretty big part of the offense. Bud Adams has even pointed out that the fact that since Henry is a UT grad that makes him an even more attractive pickup if they could make it happen. There really just has not been that much to pick from in the past couple of years as far as UT players in the draft are concerned, and I know they have worked out several UT players as rookie free agents....nothing has really worked out. The NFL is a business and I don't think wether or not a player went to UT has any bearing at all on how the titans use their draft picks.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Jun 22, 2005 1:38 PM
maybe green and orange
[snapback]106461[/snapback]​

:yuck: TBall, have you fallen and injured your head?

And copper helmets with black uni's sounds an awful lot like a particular team from South Bend that many people don't like too much 'round here.

Anyway, the red and blue is from the state flag.

VN Store

Back