Transfer wide receiver commits to Tennessee - Dont'e Thornton-

Everybody, well a few seem to think that Thornton replacing Keyton is the way to go. Keyton's average catch for the year is 17.7, Bru's is 12.8. Seems to me that Bru should be the prime candidate to take a step back. But looking at it stat wise, Mr.Thornton's are quite pedestrian. Only 17 catches for the year, although in fairness, a 21. 4 YPC.

Thats a big expectation... Unless he flat beats out Keyton for a spot I don't see those numbers. I'd say a more realistic expectation would be about half that. He is gonna be competing with Keyton and McCoy for snaps and this coaching staff thus far really only plays like a 4 WR rotation outside of injuries. So unless Milton is throwing like 300 a game that 3rd and 4th guy are gonna be sitting around 4-600 yards.

Naw, just keep rotating the big boys. That way, the WRs are always fresh legged while opposing DBs end being worn out, and giving up big yardage and scores as the game wears on. Run 2 - 3 routes, at plays end dash for the sideline while the replacement dashes for the field. Javelin Joe will have a field day every game with WRs like this.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
He's going to be a nightmare match up in the red zone. I'd be surprised if Heupel doesn't create a package just for this purpose.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Everybody, well a few seem to think that Thornton replacing Keyton is the way to go. Keyton's average catch for the year is 17.7, Bru's is 12.8. Seems to me that Bru should be the prime candidate to take a step back. But looking at it stat wise, Mr.Thornton's are quite pedestrian. Only 17 catches for the year, although in fairness, a 21. 4 YPC.
Statistically true, but Bru always gets the tough yards.

No slot Squirrel! Send him out toward the goal line every time. The guy is just too small and fragile for slot ball. He'd get killed catching across the middle, totally wrecked and scrapped. He should be treated as Hyatt 2.0. As for slot, let it be one of the big boys who can take the hits.
I understand what your saying but Squirrel is built pretty tough for his size. Heupel will make the best use of him. Look at little MCConkey for Georgia he makes catches all over the place. GBO

Keyton has improved every year. He is a very capable receiver who will be a key factor in the rotation. GBO! Keyton,Bru and Squirrel will be part of the rotation. Thornton can work himself in, he will have to earn the time. I expect he will help us too especially as the season goes on. GBO

Thornton is good enough to lead the team in receiving and yards. Squirrel will probably lead in TDs
I don’t get it. Saw some Vol recruiting Twitter account call Thornton “elite” as well… what are you guys seeing? He was the 5th leading receiver for Oregon. He was there two years and scored 1 TD. I see that he’s tall, but I don’t understand where this hype of him being our #1 WR is coming from.

Attachments

• 27A25958-C7D9-4914-BAFC-1818A8EC0E1D.jpeg
    27A25958-C7D9-4914-BAFC-1818A8EC0E1D.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 12
I don’t get it. Saw some Vol recruiting Twitter account call Thornton “elite” as well… what are you guys seeing? He was the 5th leading receiver for Oregon. He was there two years and scored 1 TD. I see that he’s tall, but I don’t understand where this hype of him being our #1 WR is coming from.

I won’t attempt to predict what Thornton will or won’t accomplish next season in this offense. However, it is worth noting how quickly and dramatically Tillman and Hyatt exploded in this offense. Consider the following stats, first for Tillman:

2018: 1 reception for -3 yards
2019: 4 receptions for 60 yards and 1 touchdown
2020: 3 receptions for 67 receptions and 1 touchdown
2021: 64 receptions for 1,081 yards and 12 touchdowns, most of which came in the second half of the season
2022: 37 receptions for 417 yards and 3 touchdowns Cedric Tillman Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

The trajectory for Jalin Hyatt was almost as dramatic:

2020: 20 receptions for 276 yards and 2 touchdowns
2021: 21 receptions for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns
2022: 67 receptions for 1267 yards and 15 touchdowns Jalin Hyatt Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

I most definitely trust that Coach Heupel will find a way to effectively utilize this young man’s talents.

I won’t attempt to predict what Thornton will or won’t accomplish next season in this offense. However, it is worth noting how quickly and dramatically Tillman and Hyatt exploded in this offense. Consider the following stats, first for Tillman:

2021: 64 receptions for 1,081 yards and 12 touchdowns, most of which came in the second half of the season
2022: 37 receptions for 417 yards and 3 touchdowns Cedric Tillman Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

2022: 67 receptions for 1267 yards and 15 touchdowns Jalin Hyatt Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

I most definitely trust that Coach Heupel will find a way to effectively utilize this young man’s talents.

Now that's real meat and potatoes information. Nom...nom...nom.

Reactions: Post4Vols

Patience. It's quite common, sadly, that even very talented players get under used and misused by coaches. Here, have a bowl of Alvin Karmara, a glass of Malik Jackson, and a plate of all the wasted talent on Butch Jones' teams.

This guy has such a higher ceiling than RaRa. Thorton is a physcial freak rara not so much.
Not disagreeing, but Ra Ra is still super talented and it makes my stomach turn that he went to UGA over us. Would much rather have THornton

“I felt like it was the best fit for me overall,” Thornton told GoVols247 about his decision. “Just the fact that they’re a heavy pass offense and they have a great quarterback with a strong arm. I know that as long as I go out there and play football within the scheme and offense that they have, I’m going to be good.”

Shhhh. Don't tell him we run the ball more than we throw it.
that run game is what's gonna get him wide open. at 20yards per catch I don't think he'll care. We are the one school that can get u to 100 yards receiving on 5 catches or less.

Good response. I understand the logic. But with this logic I could argue that any underwhelming WR in the country is “elite” if only they’d transfer to Tennessee.

You're exactly right! people get a little too exited when these new guys come in and crown them king without knowing anything more than what the clickbait (media) artists tell them. Look up his highlight reel.

Impressive yards-per-catch, but he had on average fewer than 2 catches per game. Essentially, he caught 1 to 2 passes a game, one of which
was for 20+ yards. We've got 3 proven receivers coming back next year in McCoy, Keyton and Squirrel, and given that Heupel (strangely) likes to keep the same three on the field for nearly all of the game, it will be interesting to see just how much this guy plays.

Reactions: tone357
Impressive yards-per-catch, but he had on average fewer than 2 catches per game. Essentially, he caught 1 to 2 passes a game, one of which
was for 20+ yards. We've got 3 proven receivers coming back next year in McCoy, Keyton and Squirrel, and given that Heupel (strangely) likes to keep the same three on the field for nearly all of the game, it will be interesting to see just how much this guy plays.
I'm sure that "1 or 2" catches per game is major reason he opted out.

I agree like alot of players are extremely athletic but can he run good routes and catch the ball at the same time. Let’s let this play out

Reactions: bpalmer28
Good response. I understand the logic. But with this logic I could argue that any underwhelming WR in the country is “elite” if only they’d transfer to Tennessee.
Sure any “underwhelming” WR who’s 6’4 or 6’5 with 10.29 speed.

IIRC that was Thornton’s clocked speed at Oregon. Wasn’t he the fastest guy on the team? Or at least one of the fastest?

How do our current WR’s stack up vs those measurables?

He's tall and fast. The tools are certainly there.

If he can run a route and has hands at all..... he'll have mismatches all over the field.

VN Store

Back