Transfer wide receiver commits to Tennessee - Dont'e Thornton-

He
There is this thing that happens and it's a lot more common now where people overly polarize things. you like someone so they can do no wrong and are the best at everything or you dislike them and they are always terrible. I feel like this is a case like that.. Hyatt had one of the great college football seasons for a WR or any position and deserves all the accolades and everything that comes with that. He is an extremely talented WR. there is no way he pulls off a season like that if he is not. but he is hyper-specialized and because of his size can play a very limited role in most offenses. Can he grow? Sure but there is a reason that before this season his stats were about 20 catches for 250 yards and 2 td's per season. He went from averaging 12 ypc on 41 catches to 19per on 67. you could see it as the season went on Look at the Pitt game they tried to use him like Velus there he had 11 catches for 73 yards. Then by the Bama game they figured out bombs were his thing. He is not gonna be someone you throw slants he is a top of the route tree guy period. 5-9 is his thing he aint running 1-4 and crossers unless its a decoy. He'd get jammed and murdered.
Scored at least 1 TD on a 2 and a 4. He'll never need to run a comeback and probably not a flat route. Pretty sure he scores against man on a slot fade against LSU. It's fine that he is more specialized in one area the others but that doesn't mean he can't do other things effectively. Teams usually get multiple types of WRs for different situations.

Hyatt dropped a lot of balls before last fall. Someone convinced him to put in the work to get better. If he had not done that then he wouldn't have gotten the chance to do what he did last fall.

As for his pro prospects, someone will draft him. They will then mold him into something. That something may make him wish he'd stayed at UT and gotten another year out of NIL. Or it could make him a great player.

What he did in college isn't good enough for the NFL. But that's true of basically every player drafted. They have to improve and transform. I won't claim to know how well Hyatt will fit or not fit... develop into greatness or bust out within a few seasons. And... while I like for Vols to do well after leaving the program... I really don't care for the NFL very much and don't "pull" for guys getting paid outrageous amounts with ungrateful attitudes toward the employers and fans.

Add to all your valid points, Hooker and Hyatt have played together since High School if my memory serves me correctly. He gonna have to earn his catches in NFL instead of them coming to him intuitively!

Add to all your valid points, Hooker and Hyatt have played together since High School if my memory serves me correctly. He gonna have to earn his catches in NFL instead of them coming to him intuitively!
Where did you get that? Hooker played HS in the Greensboro, NC area. Hyatt is from SC. They had never played together before Hooker transferred to UT.

Hyatt btw earned every catch at UT. He was in the dog house for much of '21. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had hit the portal.

Reactions: pimo1
Where did you get that? Hooker played HS in the Greensboro, NC area. Hyatt is from SC. They had never played together before Hooker transferred to UT.

Hyatt btw earned every catch at UT. He was in the dog house for much of '21. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had hit the portal.
I agree totally here. Hyatt earned everything he got. That is unquestionably true. If he can continue his development he might end up being a really good pro but I just feel merely because of his size he is limited. The dact he was never used on special teams is also a red flag. I mean normally a guy with his skill set and size earns his way on an NFL roster on special teams but at no point do i remember them habe him even tey returning kicks or punts. Am I the only one that finds that weird especially those first 2 years when he was a depth guy. Yeah we had some decent returners in his tenure but ge wasn't even on the depth chart for returns, or am I misremembering? It goes back to the lack of wiggle. His skillset at the college level reminds me mostly of DK Metcalf except ya know without the height and size and a bit slower. Great straight line rummer, no wiggle. But DK is a physical specimen so transcended that. If Hyatt can pit on 10-15 pounds and maintain his speed he is gonna be a beast. If not he will end up on an XFL roster in 2-3 years.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree totally here. Hyatt earned everything he got. That is unquestionably true. If he can continue his development he might end up being a really good pro but I just feel merely because of his size he is limited. The dact he was never used on special teams is also a red flag. I mean normally a guy with his skill set and size earns his way on an NFL roster on special teams but at no point do i remember them habe him even tey returning kicks or punts. Am I the only one that finds that weird especially those first 2 years when he was a depth guy. Yeah we had some decent returners in his tenure but ge wasn't even on the depth chart for returns, or am I misremembering? It goes back to the lack of wiggle. His skillset at the college level reminds me mostly of DK Metcalf except ya know without the height and size and a bit slower. Great straight line rummer, no wiggle. But DK is a physical specimen so transcended that. If Hyatt can pit on 10-15 pounds and maintain his speed he is gonna be a beast. If not he will end up on an XFL roster in 2-3 years.
Again,
He scored 3 TDs this season where he had to make guys miss to score.

He improved a lot with his strength, feet, and
lateral movement.
Stands to reason he could continue that improvement in those areas.

Even if he didn't, you are missing the point of having an accurate QB in the NFL.
Most WR work to get better at skills J Hyatt already has.

You're severely underestimating his other attributes.
- reading coverage
- constant acceleration
- field awareness
- knack for the big play
- body control
- wing span (wide catch radius)

You're talking about him as if he didn't torch Alabama and all their future NFL Dbs for
200 yards and 5 TDs in one game lol!
That HAPPENED!

Why in the world can you not see why???

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Again,
He scored 3 TDs this season where he had to make guys miss to score.

He improved a lot with his strength, feet, and
lateral movement.
Stands to reason he could continue that improvement in those areas.

Even if he didn't, you are missing the point of having an accurate QB in the NFL.
Most WR work to get better at skills J Hyatt already has.

You're severely underestimating his other attributes.
- reading coverage
- constant acceleration
- field awareness
- knack for the big play
- body control
- wing span (wide catch radius)

You're talking about him as if he didn't torch Alabama and all their future NFL Dbs for
200 yards and 5 TDs in one game lol!
That HAPPENED!

Why in the world can you not see why???
you didn't mention any of the things I pointed out. He is not a shifty guy he relies on straight-line speed and defenders being out of position. Yes, Heupels scheme is about WRs reading coverage and taking advantage of mismatches. He does not beat guys with cuts or jukes or double moves. He is not fighting through a jam at the line. He runs by guys and splits zones. They stack receivers in front of him to prevent dbs getting their hands on him. Go back and look, half his TDs are on busted plays. Take away the bama game and he never had another amazing game. 1/3 of his total tds came in that game heck damn near 1/4 his career td's are from that game. If you take that game away hes not even in the first-team all-SEC conversation.

Yes he has a decent wingspan for a 6 footer.... Body control? Where is that coming from? Dude caught bombs lol where are these highlight reel circus catches to substantiate that claim? There are no toe taps, diving catches, shake and bakes on tape. Those were Keyton and Mccoy. He is fast, reads coverage well, has good hands, good attitude, became a hard worker. Running by a guy that's releasing you from his zone because he thinks he has help over the top is not the same as running by a guy in man. In almost all his TD he was matched up with a safety. Also note in the video posted earlier some of those TD are from 20 and 21 and were in garbage time against backups. There's one in there from Shrout lol

Hyatt had an awesome season, mostly based on one game.and its gonna get him an opportunity he probably would have had. Truth be told he'd probably be a better WR if he stayed another year but he would have been stupid not to take this shot now. I truly with him the best and hope im wrong. I hope he puts on some weight and shows the world his craft. But until then I think Tillman is a way better NFL prospect than him ... by far. Second issue he has in the draft. THis is a year of smurf WR's and most of the other smurfs have better resumes than him (more than 1 year of excellence and or special teams experience)

I am just gonna wait till pro day times are in because 4.41? if he was a 4.2 even 4.3 guy maybe but 4.41? Thats fast but not fast enough to make up for 175lbs Velus is having a good start to his career.. he ran a 4.31 and is 204lbs same height, can run full route tree, and is amazing on special teams. See my point? Take away the Bama game and compare those 2 guys' tape.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back