Transfer Portal Rules

T2P_Priceless

Sorry if there's a thread for this already. If so, please point me to it.

1) Do inbound non-grad transfers count toward the 25 limit?

2) How do outbound transfers affect our scholarship situation?

3) This is a non portal question but I notice some teams still recruit more than 25. What exceptions allow this?

Thanks!

Incoming transfers have to count toward either the class they come in with or the next 25 limit

If you can back count you can sign over 25. Which short answer means if you count 24 in the year before you can sign 26 the next year. We can’t do that is my understanding

Incoming transfers have to count toward either the class they come in with or the next 25 limit

If you can back count you can sign over 25. Which short answer means if you count 24 in the year before you can sign 26 the next year. We can’t do that is my understanding

Didn't we only sign 23 last year? That's unfortunate if we can't back count and catch up.

BV...my man...got it down...thanks bud!

GO BIG ORANGE!

Is the 25 rule an SEC rule only, or has that been updated to now include all conferences across the NCAA?

Edit: Nevermind, FBS rule for all teams.

Last edited:
From what I understand we had to count forward a few transfers the year before. Someone that follows closer than I can clarify but iirc it would be the QB and RB grad transfers we took
Bingo. Still counting forward. Would have taken two blueshirts in 2019 if Anthony Harris had made it in. As it stood we still had to blueshirt Solomon just to reach 24. I think we will have to blueshirt 1 this cycle to hit 25.

Fwiw we took 24 last year -to OP.

"2) How do outbound transfers affect our scholarship situation?"
They only open a spot on the 85-limit.

Bingo. Still counting forward. Would have taken two blueshirts in 2019 if Anthony Harris had made it in. As it stood we still had to blueshirt Solomon just to reach 24. I think we will have to blueshirt 1 this cycle to hit 25.

Fwiw we took 24 last year -to OP.

"2) How do outbound transfers affect our scholarship situation?"
They only open a spot on the 85-limit.
The only question I still have about the 2020 numbers is do we get the 2019 "initial counter" back for McBride's medical retirement. If we do, then we should be able to take a full 25 without any blueshirts. I think CJP has been quoted as saying we have a full 25 "available" for 2020. So maybe they "think" they will get the McBride "Initial counter" back.

The only question I still have about the 2020 numbers is do we get the 2019 "initial counter" back for McBride's medical retirement. If we do, then we should be able to take a full 25 without any blueshirts. I think CJP has been quoted as saying we have a full 25 "available" for 2020. So maybe they "think" they will get the McBride "Initial counter" back.

Logic says to me you only get a spot back on the 25 if a member of the previous class took a medically unable to perform retirement never playing. McBride wouldn’t have fit that.

Is that the rule and do you get one spot back if any player takes a retirement??

I doubt that’s the case imo

Logic says to me you only get a spot back on the 25 if a member of the previous class took a medically unable to perform retirement never playing. McBride wouldn’t have fit that.

Is that the rule and do you get one spot back if any player takes a retirement??

I doubt that’s the case imo
I'm talking about OL Melvin McBride from the 2019 class. He was only on campus about 1 week and was medically retired from finding an issue in his initial medical exam when he first arrived. He never played in a game. I doubt if he participated in any team activities other than maybe team meetings.

I'm talking about OL Melvin McBride from the 2019 class. He was only on campus about 1 week and was medically retired from finding an issue in his initial medical exam when he first arrived. He never played in a game. I doubt if he participated in any team activities other than maybe team meetings.
Perfect. Then yes I would be shocked if we didn’t get that spot back

It’s been confusing because some have said Will McBride retired as well but I don’t see how he would help get a spot back

VN Store

Back