Transfer Portal - Confirmed Tennessee Interest

A natty for us now means going thru UGA somewhere, somehow. Either in regular season or as an 11-1 invitee to the four team playoffs. We can do it without beating them once the 12 team playoffs come around.
Our talent is still pretty far behind theirs especially when you go into the second team depth chart.
Behind? Yes. Far behind? Not as much as you seem to think. That's especially true if UGA doesn't get a seamless transition at QB. IMO, Milton is going to be good. He could revert but he looked pretty good vs Clemson.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
We can't close on big names in the portal. We did fine at addressing some needs, but we can't close on the big names. Last year, it was Verse. This year, it appears we're about to lose out on Igbinosun. Until we actually start to stack some talent like Bama and Georgia do, a part of me will always be concerned with recruiting. I know our coaches can coach. I know our offense is explosive. I firmly believe we can develop guys. But can we recruit with the elite? I'm still not completely convinced that we can. But damn, I sure hope so.

It seems obvious at this point that Igbinosun was shopping for the best NIL deal, which is his right (and smart to do.)

If so, and there was a bidding war, the Vol money group (can’t remember the name) didn’t make the top bid. And obviously, there might have been other factors as well.

While NIL shopping probably benefits individual players, what’s the impact going to be on other athletes?

I have to wonder what the impact of massive NILs on team chemistry (all schools) will be in the next few years. 18-19-year-olds (make or female) aren’t always noted for humility and grace toward others.

—nothing new here, of course. But I think we’re starting to see it play out in real time now.

We can't close on big names in the portal. We did fine at addressing some needs, but we can't close on the big names. Last year, it was Verse. This year, it appears we're about to lose out on Igbinosun. Until we actually start to stack some talent like Bama and Georgia do, a part of me will always be concerned with recruiting. I know our coaches can coach. I know our offense is explosive. I firmly believe we can develop guys. But can we recruit with the elite? I'm still not completely convinced that we can. But damn, I sure hope so.
😂😂🤣 Weez, we just had a goober in here 'splaining for 18 posts in this very thread that we don't need to stack a roster full of talent! Not making this up. He set a record for goal post moving, misreading posts, and strawmen arguments, but he got 'er done!

We literally have a player ranked higher than him from the portal

I sincerely don't understand why some are panicking over a DB that is clearly NIL shopping for the highest value. If we don't land him, whatever. I don't think it is an indictment on our coaching staff or their ability to recruit. Let's see what happens in 2024.
Yepl. This is the type of kid that has an eye on the NFL and one foot out the door before he steps foot on his next campus. Those types aren't usually fully onboard with the whole "team first" concept either. Fans will no doubt start complaining about Spyre/Spire, but there's a limit to how far you go with a guy like this. Might be better fish in the pond at the end of spring ball anyway.

Y’all realize you can both not believe this to be the end of the world and not trash this guy at the same time right?

Yes, not landing him is not the end of the world and I’m still excited about our defense next season.

I also don’t know that he’s a “me first guy” or that he only made this decision based on the best nil offer. And I don’t think any of you making these assertions know that either, but rather you’re just trying to react to the “it’s the end of the world crowd” by *****ing on this kid for no reason.

The OL transferring out of A&M would be a GREAT addition.

Wykoff? He would be great to have, but unless he wanted to change roles, not sure why he'd want to leave A&M as a starter and come to Knoxville where we have a Center w/two years of experience and eligibility already in place.

It would shore up our back up center this year and solidify a starter for the next two

Even if he's a better Center than Mays, which is not at a given, he'd still be extremely unlikely to win the spot given Mays' familiarity w/our unique offense and the needs to make pre-snap adjustments from that position. And as for depth, the staff has Spraggins, Nichols and Lang working that position as potential backup and/or future starter.

Again, I'm not saying the A&M kid wouldn't be a take or that he wouldn't be a great addition. Just that I question the level of interest he'd have in wanting to transfer here, unless he wants to switch positions.

Reactions: LouderVol
Even if he's a better Center than Mays, which is not at a given, he'd still be extremely unlikely to win the spot given Mays' familiarity w/our unique offense and the needs to make pre-snap adjustments from that position. And as for depth, the staff has Spraggins, Nichols and Lang working that position as potential backup and/or future starter.

Again, I'm not saying the A&M kid wouldn't be a take or that he wouldn't be a great addition. Just that I question the level of interest he'd have in wanting to transfer here, unless he wants to switch positions.
First off, I was referring to this guy being Cooper's back up this year, and stepping in to start next year. Secondly, they don't have Spraggins working at center. This guy is instantly an upgrade to Nichols, Lang, or Ollie Lane at that position because he's done it, and done it at a high level in the SEC. We're probably not even pursuing him, but he would definitely be an upgrade to our current back up situation at center.

First off, I was referring to this guy being Cooper's back up this year, and stepping in to start next year. Secondly, they don't have Spraggins working at center. This guy is instantly an upgrade to Nichols, Lang, or Ollie Lane at that position because he's done it, and done it at a high level in the SEC. We're probably not even pursuing him, but he would definitely be an upgrade to our current back up situation at center.

Easy dude, not that big of a deal. And Spraggins was a rated a top 10 Center coming out of high school, so could likely slide into that if needed.

Next years roster at a glance. Scholarship players.

Offense
QB - Joe Milton, Nico Iamaleava
RB - Jabari Small, Jaylen Wright, Dylan Sampson, Khalifa Keith
WR - Ramel Keyton, Bru McCoy, Squirrel White, Dont'e Thornton Chas Nimrod, Kaleb Webb, Nathan Leacock, Cameron Seldon, Nate Spillman
TE - Jacob Warren, McCallan Castles, Ethan Davis
OT - John Campbell, Jeremiah Crawford, Dayne Davis, Gerald Mincey, Brian Grant, Vysen Lang, Shamurad Umarov, Larry Johnson III
IOL - Ollie Lane, Jackson Lampley, Cooper Mays, Javontez Spraggins, Andrej Karic, Addison Nichols, Masai Reddick, Mo Clipper Jr., Ayden Bussell

Defense
Edge - Roman Harrison, Tyler Baron, Joshua Josephs, James Pearce, Jr., Caleb Herring, Chandavian Bradley
DL - Kurott Garland, Omari Thomas, Elijah Simmons, Da'Jon Terry, Omarr Norman-Lott, Bryson Eason, Dominic Bailey, Tyre West, Amari McNeill, Jayson Jenkins, Nathan Robinson, Daevin Hobbs, Tyree Weathersby, Trevor Duncan
LB - Aaron Beasley, Keenan Pili, Kwauze Garland, Elijah Herring, Kalib Perry, Arion Carter, Jalen Smith,Jeremiah Telander
CB - Warren Burrell, Gabe Jeudy-Lally, Brandon Turnage, Kamal Hadden, Doneiko Slaughter, Dee Williams, De'Shawn Rucker, Christian Harrison, Jordan Matthews, Rickey Gibson, Cristian Conyer
S - Jaylen McCollough, Wesley Walker, Tamarion McDonald, Christian Charles, Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas, Cameron Miller,
John Slaughter, Jack Luttrell

Special Teams
P - Jackson Ross
K - Charles Campbell

Added Gabe Jeudy-Lally to the roster. Since six of these won't enroll until after the Spring, we technically have room to add more, but it will mean pushing some out after the Spring.
Bumped because the Spring portal is opening. We'd have to lose to gain. Pretty sure once the summer enrollees get here, we're pushing the 85-cap.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Makes me wonder if our previous recruits aren't developing? Are Reddick and Clipper busts?

Makes me wonder if our previous recruits aren't developing? Are Reddick and Clipper busts?

I wouldn't think it's a sign that they're a bust just yet...they've only been here about year or so and alot of OL take 2-3 years to be ready to contribute....

I see players like this as bridging the gap to when these younger OLs are ready...ideally we won't need these players in a few years since that would mean we are hitting on all of our HS OL recruiting...but we all know that some are busts and others leave for various reasons...so we'll likely always take an OL or two from the portal each year

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga

VN Store

Back