Transfer Portal 21-22

The thing is we do don’t want any old 6’4”, we need one with some positive stats that can keep things in control while Key takes a breather. Jaz Franklin is 6’1” or so but has better than average jumping skills and is tough in the paint. She knows how to position her body against taller post players and will fight for the ball. She is similar to Green except she has better offensive skills. The good thing is we already have her in the fold, in case we can’t find a 6’4” post to come in and relieve Key. With what we added in the portal, our incoming freshman, we are stacked.
Exactly. When are people here going to realize we go for the best fit for our team?

I am not convinced the coaching staff is even looking for a big post. I think we may see a little different style this year with a more up tempo offense and even more tempo once Key leaves. I don't know if I fully agree with it but it may be what is in the future for the team. There are not many dominant posts in the conference and it may be a positive direction for the team.
Right now unless things change significantly, the only dominant post we have to worry about is Boston in our conference. Look at the likes of Indiana and Michigan, they are undersized but gang rebound. Naz Hillmon was a 6’2” post for Michigan but was a great rebounder who knew how to use her body to take advantage of taller post players. I believe we have to have faith that our coaches have a plain that will help us become a viable opponent against any team we play.

The other thing that makes it hard to find this young, very tall, fast and talented big is to convince them to come paly behind Key whereas they could start at 95% of the other schools. Next year in recruiting and in the portal we will be extremely attractive for the big with potential to be dominant.

The other thing that makes it hard to find this young, very tall, fast and talented big is to convince them to come paly behind Key whereas they could start at 95% of the other schools. Next year in recruiting and in the portal we will be extremely attractive for the big with potential to be dominant.
you are exactly right so for the posters who said Kellie tried but couldn't get the big she wanted no one can dismiss that opinion because of the beautiful point you made LVR but some people have tried to dismiss it anyway.how about this Kellie couldn't get the big she wanted or maybe Kellie hasn't settled for a big.both could have validation instead of its one or the other after all we are giving opinions

Last edited:
Reactions: LV renaissance
You can still be a dominant rebounder and scorer from the 3 and 4 position if you have some serious hops and are coached how to use your body to get in a position of strength and play with physicality. A perfect example is Blackwell who is in the portal from Missouri.
Wasn’t Horston our top rebounder last season?

It can be done, Cardosa didn’t have a problem coming to play behind Boston and Saxton. I honestly think we have all the pieces we need right now. A tall, skilled post player would be the icing on the cake.

Exactly, LV renaissance. It's a miracle we were able to convince a player of Franklin's high quality to come on board considering Key was a candidate for national DPOY and is virtually guaranteed to be a starter for her senior year. If Kellie, her former coach whom she obviously respects, weren't the Tennessee coach, I doubt she wants to play behind Key.

Exactly, LV renaissance. It's a miracle we were able to convince a player of Franklin's high quality to come on board considering Key was a candidate for national DPOY and is virtually guaranteed to be a starter for her senior year. If Kellie, her former coach whom she obviously respects, weren't the Tennessee coach, I doubt she wants to play behind Key.
Great points. However, Jasmine F will play a lot at the 4 and likely start as PF, along with spelling Tamari. She is a beast and will spend plenty of time on the court at the 4 and 5. GBO.

Great points. However, Jasmine F will play a lot at the 4 and likely start as PF, along with spelling Tamari. She is a beast and will spend plenty of time on the court at the 4 and 5. GBO.

I have a feeling our initial starting 5 will be Powell, Walker, Horston, Jackson, Key. I think as the season progresses we may see that lineup get bigger with Walker coming off the bench and Franklin starting at the 4.

Puckett, Franklin, Darby and Miles likely first subs off the bench.

I think Pissott, Striplin, Suarez, Wynn et all will get a lot of time in games we are well ahead. Especially early in the season. Their minutes as the season progresses will be up to them.

Last edited:
I have a feeling our initial starting 5 will be Powell, Walker, Horston, Jackson, Key. I think we the season progresses we may see that lineup get bigger with Walker coming off the bench and Franklin starting at the 4.

Puckett, Franklin, Darby and Miles likely first subs off the bench.

I think Pissott, Striplin, Suarez, Wynn et all will get a lot of time in games we are well ahead. Especially early in the season. Their minutes as the season progresses will be up to them.

Yes, that proposed eventual lineup that you and others have mentioned seems like a great starting 5 if Franklin is fully recovered physically and psychologically from her injury. Both Jordy and her play so all out that they may be hesitant to do so when they return. I am glad that they have some games before the SEC starts to work through this. In any case, if this is the eventual starting lineup they should be great on defense, offense, and truly world beaters in rebounding. I can just see about 3 LV fighting each other for each rebound. Got to love it :D!

Maybe mentioned already, but Lattimore to UGA. That’s a great pickup for Coach Abe. I was really hoping we might get her to Knoxville. Ton of upside. She will have her playing really well defensively in no time

This must have been an accident. It was marked on the transfer blog but has now been removed. It appears at this time Lattimore is not committed.

She and Hollingshed are definitely the two I hope we are in contact with.

Sam also tweeted that gathering talent is good, but if they can’t work together, talent means very little. Those who keep whining about getting “blue-chip” players, take note.

I read the tweet. I translated it as Coach Sam expanding on her vision of the “right fit.” as she went on to reference a talented “likely blue chip” player that possess intangibles such as displaying positive body language, taking charges, encouraging teammates etc… to me that’s a sign that the 2023 and beyond recruiting classes will actually be great.
The 2022 class rounded out outstanding.

I read the tweet. I translated it as Coach Sam expanding on her vision of the “right fit.” as she went on to reference a talented “likely blue chip” player that possess intangibles such as displaying positive body language, taking charges, encouraging teammates etc… to me that’s a sign that the 2023 and beyond recruiting classes will actually be great.
The 2022 class rounded out outstanding.
Agreed.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back