Transfer Portal 21-22

Lavender is in the portal….again

Figured as much. The injury sounded like an excuse and their narratives weren’t lining up. She was saying it was an injury and the Florida program was saying she was out due to coach’s decision.

Which usually means the player is available except for disciplinary reasons.

Figured as much. The injury sounded like an excuse and their narratives weren’t lining up. She was saying it was an injury and the Florida program was saying she was out due to coach’s decision.

Which usually means the player is available except for disciplinary reasons.

Well, she never said who got injured. ;)

I seem to remember she was in it earlier and then the male coach was fired . I was "surprised" when I read she was playing this year. smooth player - she was the first high level commitment Florida received for a long while.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
It was reported she had shin splints. That’s not true?

Sounds like the case. What I read today said she was out with a shin injury. Would presume that is shin splints.

What didn’t make sense were the mismatched narratives. During the Florida/A&M game it was discussed. The broadcasters mentioned the Florida program said she was “out because of Coach’s decision” whereas Lavender said she was out due to injury.

Sounds more like something happened and she is in the portal. The interim UF coach is doing a nice job. They’re better than they were last season and her teams response missing one of their best players amidst drama was very good. To beat A&M and to have the focus to do so on the road and after all that is great for them. I could see them hiring her on as the full time coach if she’s up to the administrative and recruiting parts of the job.

I expect to see them get a couple wins they shouldn’t this season. Hopefully not against us!

Last edited:
LSU will be graduating basically half of their team this season, expect Kim to pick up several top transfers.

The person I want for Tennessee isn't in the portal (yet? Come on, Rickea!) and I'll spare you my fanfic but I do think she'd be a great fit on our team.
Everyone is far more impressed with her than I am. I mean she is a 28 percent lifetime three point shooter and 68 percent from the line. She averages 1.09 points per shot attempt and has a really great scoring average because she is a volume shooter. Not saying she is a bad player, but her lifetime stats put her at average at best. The one thing you can say about her is she is not afraid to shoot the ball averaging over 15 shots per game played.

Reactions: VolBall09
She won't be at Florida anymore for sure. They have took her off the roster and erased her bio.

Don’t think it had anything to do with her shins. Just not adding up. Something went down and she was released I would bet.

She’s a really nice player. Reminds me a lot of Burrell. Some team will get a nice player. Afraid it may come with a bit of an attitude though. Hopefully she finds a better fit. Was surprised she pulled her name out of the portal initially anyhow.

Everyone is far more impressed with her than I am. I mean she is a 28 percent lifetime three point shooter and 68 percent from the line. She averages 1.09 points per shot attempt and has a really great scoring average because she is a volume shooter. Not saying she is a bad player, but her lifetime stats put her at average at best. The one thing you can say about her is she is not afraid to shoot the ball averaging over 15 shots per game played.

I can agree with this. What I love about her is the way she moves and her mid-range game and rebounding potential. She’s a player that needs some development but has not had consistent coaching at this level.

This season and last she really had to be a volume shooter or they were not able to get shots up. If she were in Kellie’s system I’d guess she’d average about 15 and 8 on 8-10 shots a game.

I can agree with this. What I love about her is the way she moves and her mid-range game and rebounding potential. She’s a player that needs some development but has not had consistent coaching at this level.

This season and last she really had to be a volume shooter or they were not able to get shots up. If she were in Kellie’s system I’d guess she’d average about 15 and 8 on 8-10 shots a game.
I wonder if she is going portal and would our coaches even contact. In the past we have been really slow at this or just ignored players totally. I think she could definitely be a better player under Kellie we'll see how this develops.

I wonder if she is going portal and would our coaches even contact. In the past we have been really slow at this or just ignored players totally. I think she could definitely be a better player under Kellie we'll see how this develops.

If there was anything at all related to discipline I do not see our staff reaching out. Kellie seems very targeted in her recruiting both from HS and the portal. Personality and fit with the current team seem to be important to this staff above all else.

Really like the results so far. Heard her talking about Dye the other day. Sounds like as soon as she put her name in we recruited her aggressively. I’m sure she had a lot of interest from other teams after her NCAA tournament and double double season. Gives me confidence we can land the transfers we want when we want them.

Her stats in her freshman season under Vic Schaefer were considerably better than in her following seasons (Freshman Season 48.3% FG, 42.9% 3P, 72.8% FT). Which says to me that she would thrive under a good coach and good system.

Her stats in her freshman season under Vic Schaefer were considerably better than in her following seasons (Freshman Season 48.3% FG, 42.9% 3P, 72.8% FT). Which says to me that she would thrive under a good coach and good system.

Absolutely. She’s just not playing in any kind of system at the moment. She’s being forced to use her athleticism to get shots. She can do it, but at a much lower percentage. Her freshman season she had some veteran players to take the pressure off and just had to get good looks in their offense.

Vic is great in defining a player role on a team and Kellie is also. We'll see if she enters to portal would think even if she did we wouldn't be a top contender but you never know.

Vic is great in defining a player role on a team and Kellie is also. We'll see if she enters to portal would think even if she did we wouldn't be a top contender but you never know.
Would be unlikely for her to enter the transfer portal going into her senior year. She would be required to stay for 2 seasons to get her degree, and I can't see her doing that when she would easily be a top 10 WNBA draft pick after next season. Same reason why I think that NaLyssa Smith resigned herself to sticking it out at Baylor for her senior year.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Would be unlikely for her to enter the transfer portal going into her senior year. She would be required to stay for 2 seasons to get her degree, and I can't see her doing that when she would easily be a top 10 WNBA draft pick after next season. Same reason why I think that NaLyssa Smith resigned herself to sticking it out at Baylor for her senior year.

Rickea’s situation may be different due to the coaching change. If Novak is not hired on full time she would be experiencing another coaching change and those rules would not apply from what I understand.

Smith is resigned to Baylor, don’t see them changing coaches so soon even though I think Collen lasts 3-5 years there max. They’re gonna lose to several teams in the Big 12 this season they haven’t lost to in 20 years.

I know some saying she is entering the portal just waiting to see if that is true. She could possibly have a degree after this season a lot of people can do it in three years. I have seen no evidence that she is leaving so just waiting to see if what a few are saying has any merit.

I get your logic and don't understand how many of these young ladies don't have degrees after their junior year (like many of our players do).

When you arrive on campus in May of your freshman year, most schools would enroll you in their summer school. Many schools have two summer semesters (Early May to Right before the 4th of July and after the 4th of July until about a week before Fall Semester). If players are taking courses during those times as well as the times during the fall and spring semesters, many should have degrees sooner.

But that is normally where the difference is, our school focus on making sure our students actually take the right classes and attend classes and aren't just there to play basketball. She shouldn't have to stay 2 seasons if her credits transfer.

She wouldn't necessarily have to stay for 2 years. With HS credits, Regular courseload, and summer courses Rickea could have put herself on track to graduate within three years. Shoot we had Kasi and Rennia do that because they took college credits in HS and i believe we will have a third person do it because Jordan H came with college credits that I believe would allow her to graduate early too. Didn't Jordan walker leave WMU in 3 years also? It's becoming more common place for kids to graduate in 3 years and get some grad classes or a minor of some sort to leave with.

NOT saying she is leaving but not saying she is gonna stay either.

While Nalyssa loved playing for Kim she was just as big at proving she could play the game without her from what i heard the way things went down and the team found out did not go as Kim might have liked. She pulled Moon and Hannah but she wanted to bring Andrews also who it would have made sense because she was an underclassman but she didn't want to follow Kim.

My understanding is that colleges will only accept 60 credits for transfer, which is why most students don't transfer after their junior year (student athletes could do that since they would have to sit out a year anyway before this requirement was removed). Unless Rickea completes her degree at MSST and moves on as a grad transfer, then she would set herself back academically by transferring as a senior and would play 5 years when she could be a top 10 WNBA draft pick.

@mlindsay I think that you could say that about any student-athlete, man or woman. It's probably likely that there are lot of students who wouldn't have had the opportunity to attend college if not for athletic ability, and are probably not exactly a stellar student to begin with. It's judging them a bit harshly to question why they can't earn their degree faster than the majority of college students who aren't juggling athletic commitments with academics.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back