Transfer Portal 21-22

I heard she had one planned for the weekend.

Hello when I joined her live she said she was flying out in the morning so I thought she meant going to a visit. But she did say she had one this coming weekend. So I’m guessing it’s LSU. She didn’t visit this past weekend.

She also was happy for MSSTATE hiring Sam for the team. She said he’s a very nice guy and recruited her for Louisville. She has a great personality and funny.

This is completely inaccurate. Kelly Miller was a two time SEC Player of the Year -- ahead of Catchings. She was also the #2 pick in the WNBA draft behind Lauren Jackson but ahead of, once again, Catchings. Coco was the ninth pick...

Actually, their stats were the best in their Freshmen and Sophomore years compared to their later years. As Freshmen, they already looked like world beaters, with great PPG averages, high shooting percentages, high assists, etc. It looked like Georgia could be on it's way to dominate women's basketball with how talented the twins were. Unfortunately for them and Georgia, their stats slightly regressed in their later years and often would choke in big games to prevent Georgia from meeting expectations. Georgia did get to the Final 4 once, but often didn't win the biggest games. If you watched Georgia, you would see with your own eyes the rage Andy would repeatedly direct at them. Sometimes they would come in after that and play harder, but in big games they often they would responded by making uncharacteristic mistakes. I think they always were thought to be so good due to their early potential, and honestly they were good even in the later years. They just didn't progress. It is not uncommon for many players to get hyped in the early years and then get awards in their later years even if they were somewhat subpar. Funny you mentioned how high they were picked by the WNBA yet Coco averaged under 5.0 ppg for her career while Kelly did somewhat better (10ppg) but hardly the all star better than Catchings. I have nothing against them and they were good players. They just didn't thrive the way they were expected to under Landers, and they never surpassed their play in their first two years of college. I can't imagine his rage was helpful.

Reactions: stllvf
You "heard" as in someone told you directly? Or, you read it on an anonymous message board? ;)

i meant i heard becuz it was posted on here and on a site 😉

But you can also check with @Cb153181 who heard her say it on her instagram live 😉😉😉

I also "heard" some intriguing parts of her recruitment to UT and some things that happened while she was here..all good things. Those didn't come from a board or a site😉

what have you "heard"?

Last edited:
Hello when I joined her live she said she was flying out in the morning so I thought she meant going to a visit. But she did say she had one this coming weekend. So I’m guessing it’s LSU. She didn’t visit this past weekend.

She also was happy for MSSTATE hiring Sam for the team. She said he’s a very nice guy and recruited her for Louisville. She has a great personality and funny.

i thought so too. she does seem like a great young lady and wishing her the best (hopefully in the right shade of orange) lol

Actually, their stats were the best in their Freshmen and Sophomore years compared to their later years. As Freshmen, they already looked like world beaters, with great PPG averages, high shooting percentages, high assists, etc. It looked like Georgia could be on it's way to dominate women's basketball with how talented the twins were. Unfortunately for them and Georgia, their stats slightly regressed in their later years and often would choke in big games to prevent Georgia from meeting expectations.

And that's exactly what happened with Catchings and Randall. Their best stats were during their first couple of seasons. They went undefeated as freshmen and looked like they would own women's basketball for the next three seasons. Their numbers regressed and they never won another title. Does that mean Pat didn't develop them?

Funny you mentioned how high they were picked by the WNBA yet Coco averaged under 5.0 ppg for her career while Kelly did somewhat better (10ppg) but hardly the all star better than Catchings.

How they actually performed in the WNBA is irrelevant. I'm not arguing Kelly was better than Catch and deserved to be picked ahead. I'm saying the fact that they were so highly regarded by WNBA general managers to be picked so high speaks volumes to how Landers developed them in college. Whereas Semeka Randall looked like a surefire top 5 pick early in her career, she wasn't even picked in the first round by the time she graduated....

They
This is completely inaccurate. Kelly Miller was a two time SEC Player of the Year -- ahead of Catchings. She was also the #2 pick in the WNBA draft behind Lauren Jackson but ahead of, once again, Catchings. Coco was the ninth pick...
They were very good players but I don't ever remember them beating any of Pat's teams. Maybe they did. That has been a few years back. The very reason Lander's hates the Lady Vols to this very day.

Reactions: SandyO
They
They were very good players but I don't ever remember them beating any of Pat's teams. Maybe they did. That has been a few years back. The very reason Lander's hates the Lady Vols to this very day.
They slaughtered Tennessee in Catch's senior year. I believe it was one of their worst losses ever by MOV (at the time...Holly broke a lot of records).

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
They slaughtered Tennessee in Catch's senior year. I believe it was one of their worst losses ever by MOV (at the time...Holly broke a lot of records).

It was actually Catch's junior season, Georgia beat them by about 30 points. They finished tied with Tennessee for the SEC regular season title that season but the Lady Vols would win the conference tournament.

Catch missed the game her senior year, it was actually the first game after she tore her ACL and the Lady Vols played an inspired game at home to beat Georgia. The Lady Bulldogs would win the SEC tournament (after Vandy upset the Lady Vols)...

Actually, their stats were the best in their Freshmen and Sophomore years compared to their later years. As Freshmen, they already looked like world beaters, with great PPG averages, high shooting percentages, high assists, etc. It looked like Georgia could be on it's way to dominate women's basketball with how talented the twins were. Unfortunately for them and Georgia, their stats slightly regressed in their later years and often would choke in big games to prevent Georgia from meeting expectations. Georgia did get to the Final 4 once, but often didn't win the biggest games. If you watched Georgia, you would see with your own eyes the rage Andy would repeatedly direct at them. Sometimes they would come in after that and play harder, but in big games they often they would responded by making uncharacteristic mistakes. I think they always were thought to be so good due to their early potential, and honestly they were good even in the later years. They just didn't progress. It is not uncommon for many players to get hyped in the early years and then get awards in their later years even if they were somewhat subpar. Funny you mentioned how high they were picked by the WNBA yet Coco averaged under 5.0 ppg for her career while Kelly did somewhat better (10ppg) but hardly the all star better than Catchings. I have nothing against them and they were good players. They just didn't thrive the way they were expected to under Landers, and they never surpassed their play in their first two years of college. I can't imagine his rage was helpful.
I mean, you're just making stuff up at this point. I watched a lot of their games. The Millers were very emotional players and wore their hearts on their sleeves. But man did they play hard. I find it funny that you say they didn't progress when Kelly finished her career as the only player in school history to rank in the top 10 in points, rebounds, assists and steals. Oh, and she was named the best player in the SEC as a junior and senior, and a WBCA All American 3x. Georgia reached a Final Four and an Elite 8 during their playing years. I mean, what more were you expecting? Those are career accomplishments that would be considered elite by any objective measure. Seriously, just accept that you were wrong.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
It was actually Catch's junior season, Georgia beat them by about 30 points. They finished tied with Tennessee for the SEC regular season title that season but the Lady Vols would win the conference tournament.

Catch missed the game her senior year, it was actually the first game after she tore her ACL and the Lady Vols played an inspired game at home to beat Georgia. The Lady Bulldogs would win the SEC tournament (after Vandy upset the Lady Vols)...
They had some great matches after Catch went down for the season. There was that great win vs. UConn where Gwen Jackson went off and then beating a loaded Georgia team. They probably used up all of their emotional energy by the time Xavier took them out in the S16.

Reactions: glv98 and Darth_Vol
I mean, you're just making stuff up at this point. I watched a lot of their games. The Millers were very emotional players and wore their hearts on their sleeves. But man did they play hard. I find it funny that you say they didn't progress when Kelly finished her career as the only player in school history to rank in the top 10 in points, rebounds, assists and steals. Oh, and she was named the best player in the SEC as a junior and senior, and a WBCA All American 3x. Georgia reached a Final Four and an Elite 8 during their playing years. I mean, what more were you expecting? Those are career accomplishments that would be considered elite by any objective measure. Seriously, just accept that you were wrong.

I still think they were at their best in the early years and their stats bear that out. However, I agree that this is my opinion in watching and following them for four years and it is not a consensus opinion. My main post never meant to slam them, as they were very good players that looked as Freshmen like they would have nearly unparalleled success, not just one final 4. My main point was that when the previous post mentioned people's memory of them, the memory that came up for me was how disturbing it was to see their interactions with their coach. I work with victims of trauma and am very aware of what being emotional is versus a trauma response. I am not hear to speak their truth, as i don't know it. What I do know and have right to speak of is that I found it disturbing in a way that I don't normally experience when I watch other coaches get onto their players. Other than that, I have never slammed Andy, Georgia, or their players here.

And that's exactly what happened with Catchings and Randall. Their best stats were during their first couple of seasons. They went undefeated as freshmen and looked like they would own women's basketball for the next three seasons. Their numbers regressed and they never won another title. Does that mean Pat didn't develop them?

How they actually performed in the WNBA is irrelevant. I'm not arguing Kelly was better than Catch and deserved to be picked ahead. I'm saying the fact that they were so highly regarded by WNBA general managers to be picked so high speaks volumes to how Landers developed them in college. Whereas Semeka Randall looked like a surefire top 5 pick early in her career, she wasn't even picked in the first round by the time she graduated....
Randall blew out a knee and was never the same

Reactions: Smallvol#1
They had some great matches after Catch went down for the season. There was that great win vs. UConn where Gwen Jackson went off and then beating a loaded Georgia team. They probably used up all of their emotional energy by the time Xavier took them out in the S16.

That's exactly what happened, they ran out of gas by the postseason. Which really sucked, such a highly regarded class that stormed the game going undefeated their first season went out with a whimper in the S16, their earliest exit in many years (ironic now). That UConn game was the only time Tennessee beat Taurasi, which might not have even happened if she hadn't fouled out.

Another sidenote, as I recall that meltdown against Georgia the previous season is what facilitated Pat to finally pull Clement and McDivitt from starting point guard duties and turn it over to Lawson. They wouldn't lose again that regular season, even winning at UConn to avenge an earlier loss at Thompson Boling. They made it all the way to the championship game before they would lose again, when Clement would unfortunately sprain her ankle in warmups which was a harbinger of what was to come against UConn in their rubber match...

I will always wonder if Catchings might have earned NPOY honors in her senior year if she hadn't torn her ACL and been lost for the season 17 games in.

And the fact that the Indiana Fever took a chance on Catch with the #3 pick in the draft spoke volumes about what kind of player she had been before the injury. The Fever organization had no idea whether Tamika would ever be the same player again following rehab, yet they spent their top pick on her.

Might Catchings have been the #1 draft pick that year if not for the ACL injury? I think there's a good chance she could have been.

I still think they were at their best in the early years and their stats bear that out. However, I agree that this is my opinion in watching and following them for four years and it is not a consensus opinion. My main post never meant to slam them, as they were very good players that looked as Freshmen like they would have nearly unparalleled success, not just one final 4. My main point was that when the previous post mentioned people's memory of them, the memory that came up for me was how disturbing it was to see their interactions with their coach. I work with victims of trauma and am very aware of what being emotional is versus a trauma response. I am not hear to speak their truth, as i don't know it. What I do know and have right to speak of is that I found it disturbing in a way that I don't normally experience when I watch other coaches get onto their players. Other than that, I have never slammed Andy, Georgia, or their players here.

If we're honest, Summitt had a lot of players who looked like world beaters their first year or two but regressed over time and, in some cases, were not as good as seniors as they were as freshmen. They regressed offensively--it happened a lot--and I always attributed it to Summitt's obsession with defense and rebounding, which were what the program was built on. Summitt had some very talented players and a few strong offensive teams--but over time one could see that team offense was not a Pat coaching strength. A lot of our players seemed to lose their confidence offensively over time under Summitt. Many remember Ace Clement, a guard whom, as I recall, averaged about 35 points a game in high-school or somesuch and was reputed to be this scoring phenom. Her shooting got progressively worse while she was at UT, and by the time she was a senior she seemed reluctant to shoot at all, and would barely hit the rim with the ball on a number of occasions.

If we're honest, Summitt had a lot of players who looked like world beaters their first year or two but regressed over time and, in some cases, were not as good as seniors as they were as freshmen. They regressed offensively--it happened a lot--and I always attributed it to Summitt's obsession with defense and rebounding, which were what the program was built on. Summitt had some very talented players and a few strong offensive teams--but over time one could see that team offense was not a Pat coaching strength. A lot of our players seemed to lose their confidence offensively over time under Summitt. Many remember Ace Clement, a guard whom, as I recall, averaged about 35 points a game in high-school or somesuch and was reputed to be this scoring phenom. Her shooting got progressively worse while she was at UT, and by the time she was a senior she seemed reluctant to shoot at all, and would barely hit the rim with the ball on a number of occasions.

Still, several of Summitt's players ended up being the Rookie of the Year in the WNBA, and Parker was ROY and MVP. None of them came to Tennessee all that interested in defense, but they all left with a great appreciation for it, were outstanding rebounders, AND could score well.

Also, I don't think many longtime, knowlegable fans of Pat Summitt's Lady Vols would disagree with you that Summitt wasn't gifted in the area of offenses. She DID over the years do her best to seek out help from coaches she respected in order to learn more herself and to try to grow with the game. She wasn't exactly a total flop on offense -- her championship teams scored plenty. But she herself readily acknowledged that she was primarily a defense and rebounding-focused coach.

Summitt's Super Power was her unmatched determination and sheer desire to work harder than everyone else, and she knew that even if she wasn't a genius at coming up with brilliant offenses, she darn well had the ability to inspire the level of determination and desire to compete to get her teams defensive-minded enough to win more than their fair share of games and championships.

Summitt wasn't the perfect all-around coach because she wasn't exceptional with offenses, but she more than made up for it in more ways than any of us will ever really know or understand. She was so much more to so many people than just a coach.

Last edited:
I will always wonder if Catchings might have earned NPOY honors in her senior year if she hadn't torn her ACL and been lost for the season 17 games in.

And the fact that the Indiana Fever took a chance on Catch with the #3 pick in the draft spoke volumes about what kind of player she had been before the injury. The Fever organization had no idea whether Tamika would ever be the same player again following rehab, yet they spent their top pick on her.

Might Catchings have been the #1 draft pick that year if not for the ACL injury? I think there's a good chance she could have been.
She was the reigning Naismith POY. She was probably the frontrunner before she got injured. My opinion is that the various NPOY honors would be split between her and Ruth Riley and there would be no consensus winner to sweep the awards. Catch would likely leapfrogged Kelly Miller as the #2 pick, but I think Lauren Jackson would have been #1 no matter what.

Reactions: lvocd
I agree that there were some players who would regress at UT as well as other schools. I think the biggest factor was that most of her players were among the top 15 players of their class in the country, so it was a big adjustment to not being the best go to player while at UT. I also think that Pat's style of coaching, as great as she was, didn't fit psychologically for every player. While most of her players would increase their focus and effort after she went off on them and/or the team, there were at least a few that didn't seem to respond as well such as Snow and Holdsclaw. One of the things that I most admire about her is when she realized that this was the case with Chamique and modified her style to a gentler approach with her. The results were monumental!!

Underlying my point here as well as about the Miller twins, is that there are some people who withdraw, freeze and/or get consumed with shame when they feel attacked. For these people, a coach yelling at them may not always help their game. I think that most of Pat's players learned not to take her searing critique as deeply personal, so they could take the information in and learn from it. I imagine there were at least a few, whether due to their past experiences or just how their nervous system operated, that did not benefit from this approach. I am glad that Pat started to get that and also had assistant coaches that could play a more nurturing role to help the players who were upset by it.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Any transfer news ? Thanks for the walk down memory lane....

Nothing new. Rickea has a visit this weekend she didn’t confirm who it was with. Said she could decide at the end of March or early April.
I believe the transfer portal will be jumping once teams start to loose in the NCAA.

VN Store

Back