Transfer Portal 21-22

I think the Lady Vols will see at least a couple of players hit the transfer portal. I don't think it will be the main group, but there are players destined for pine for the most part the rest of their eligibility and I expect the coaches will be honest with them and tell them so. We have four players coming in that are going to play and eat up a lot of minutes in backup off the bench roles. We may also want to take someone out of the portal and expect the roster to be no more than 14 max. I don't see us going with 17 players so if everyone comes back portal probably is not going to happen. Maybe one player that would be an instant starter.

if none from the core group transferred, the projected starters would be Walker, Horston, Burrell, Green or Suarez and Key? Or will Walker and continue to share the point. Hopefully a proven scorer will come to Tennessee from the portal.

if none from the core group transferred, the projected starters would be Walker, Horston, Burrell, Green or Suarez and Key? Or will Walker and continue to share the point. Hopefully a proven scorer will come to Tennessee from the portal.

Just my opinion we can agree to disagree. Need a upgrade at the pg Walker will you her all and i like that but need a pg that can threaten teams on the offensive end. As for Green and Suarez like some have said and me been it will depend on who Tn play. For example SC Boston don`t need to help Victaria Saxton or Bre Beal on the defensive end because they are that good on guarding any players at the 3 or 4. Now Key will need to provide some kind of weak side up for Green and Suarez. But we will see i`m just throwing my opinion out there.

Interesting. Just did a little digging and she was #10 in the SEC this year in player offensive ratings and #2(!!) last year -- seemingly due to her high 2 point FG%, FT rate, and FT%. Doesn't score a lot, but is efficient. She was also #8 in the SEC in blocks this year.

I knew she was super efficient and an excellent FT shooter. But her efficiency rating would take a serious hit if she was expected to score more. She didn't hit double digits a single time once SEC play began, and teams don't even guard her when she's on the court.

If she goes back to Texas, then I'm sure that Gary would love to have her as a defensive minded PF.

Reactions: travis929
That's my guess for starters, but having Horston play the wing and Burrell at SG. I think Suarez gets the nod to start, and Green will play more minutes backing up Key instead of the high post. Salary will be the backup to Walker at PG, Wynn for Burrell, Puckett for Horston, and Striplin for the high/low post. This will largely be a development year for Miles. With this rotation, I don't see many minutes available for Saunders, Rennie and Darby. If Kellie signs a high profile transfer, it will likely cut into the freshmen's minutes.

I knew she was super efficient and an excellent FT shooter. But her efficiency rating would take a serious hit if she was expected to score more. She didn't hit double digits a single time once SEC play began, and teams don't even guard her when she's on the court.

If she goes back to Texas, then I'm sure that Gary would love to have her as a defensive minded PF.

I think this is Gary's last year of coaching. It will be interesting who replaces him.

I think this is Gary's last year of coaching. It will be interesting who replaces him.
I've wondered how long he will continue. If you watch closely, he has that shaky hand thing going on that a lot of older people get. I know it won't effect his coaching and maybe that's the only life he has. If that's the case, he may keep going until he keels over. I recall he was going to retire but got a divorce and decided to continue. I think this was the job Vic was waiting for, gave up on Gary stepping down and then took the job at Texas. Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.

Reactions: Rickster
Gary has been through a lot the past few years. If he does coach next year, it will mean his health is holding out and that would be a good thing. I think he is a class act.
I don't know if he's retiring. I would think that if he was, he would have had the conversation with Vic to set him up as his replacement instead of going to UT one year sooner. If that was his plan, I'm sure Vic would have been happy to try and get a NC with his talented MSST team before heading home (unlike his replacement, I think he would have had them in the running).

Lots of SEC players joining the portal as grad xfers and taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

Seay out of LSU was an absolute defensive menace last season. Not much of an offensive player but would be a nice addition to any defense in the country. She’s an individual lockdown defender with super quick hands.

Danielle Rainey (Florida) and Jailyn Mason (Arkansas) are both experienced guards with nice 3 point shots. Both of them lost out on minutes over their career due to injuries and increasing talent on their teams. Both serviceable players for any team though.

I think the Lady Vols will see at least a couple of players hit the transfer portal. I don't think it will be the main group, but there are players destined for pine for the most part the rest of their eligibility and I expect the coaches will be honest with them and tell them so. We have four players coming in that are going to play and eat up a lot of minutes in backup off the bench roles. We may also want to take someone out of the portal and expect the roster to be no more than 14 max. I don't see us going with 17 players so if everyone comes back portal probably is not going to happen. Maybe one player that would be an instant starter.
Only players you would probably suspect would leave would probably be Emily and Rennie. If Jessie leaves she would probably return home and attempt to play professionally (imo) before transferring to another program. Emily knows she has a Backup spot behind TK. I think we forget that for some players it isn't always about the playing time but the experience, so unless they are told not to come back, I really don't see those two leaving.

In terms of the portal you have to find the right fit and not just look at players who were talented elsewhere. Those players can come in and disrupt the chemistry. Imo, the year to really look into the portal would be the season after next when we lose Walker, Rae, & Keyen (We only bring in Justine for that season as of right now). If you do add a transfer, it should be one with only a year of eligibility left and can light it up offensively and as of right now I don't see many of those entering just yet.

Last edited:
This is exaxyhow I thought the extra year of eligibility would affect the transfer portal. It's not the big time players who are looking for another year, but the supporting cast who weren't going to make the WNBA anyway. Good place to get experienced depth, but maybe not as many difference makers will be taking the extra year offer.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Only players you would probably suspect would leave would probably be Emily and Rennie. If Jessie leaves she would probably return home and attempt to play professionally (imo) before transferring to another program. Emily knows she has a Backup spot behind TK. I think we forget that for some players it isn't always about the playing time but the experience, so unless they are told not to come back, I really don't see those two leaving.

In terms of the portal you have to find the right fit and not just look at players who were talented elsewhere. Those players can come in and disrupt the chemistry. Imo, the year to really look into the portal would be next season when we lose Walker, Rae, & Keyen, and as of right now only bring in Justine (as of right now) and if you do add a transfer it is one with only a year of eligibility left.
If nobody leaves were at 14 you add anyone from portal another player from roster is on the bench. Even if all five starters only average 25 minutes leaves only 75 minutes which four or five subs will definitely take. That leaves four players watching. Of course injuries change things every season. We'll see how this plays out with our team and every team. I don't think anybody wants a roster over 14 even if your allowed any amount next season.

.....In terms of the portal you have to find the right fit and not just look at players who were talented elsewhere. Those players can come in and disrupt the chemistry.

That's my concern as well. If you sign a scorer and a leader, you have to be concerned about how they will fit the team. We've seen this before and whether it was the player(s) or coaches, there was turmoil and departures. That was one of the bigger issues facing Kellie when she arrived. Teams that have adversity normally aren"t winners. This years team appeared to enjoy playing as a team and I hope nothing happens to change that.

Reactions: travis929
Lots of SEC players joining the portal as grad xfers and taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

Seay out of LSU was an absolute defensive menace last season. Not much of an offensive player but would be a nice addition to any defense in the country. She’s an individual lockdown defender with super quick hands.

Danielle Rainey (Florida) and Jailyn Mason (Arkansas) are both experienced guards with nice 3 point shots. Both of them lost out on minutes over their career due to injuries and increasing talent on their teams. Both serviceable players for any team though.

Agree but Jailyn Mason can`t create her own shot so that a problem for her. Now Danielle Rainey she can

Reactions: VolBall09
So still no PG?

In terms of the portal you have to find the right fit and not just look at players who were talented elsewhere. Those players can come in and disrupt the chemistry. Imo, the year to really look into the portal would be the season after next when we lose Walker, Rae, & Keyen (We only bring in Justine for that season as of right now). If you do add a transfer, it should be one with only a year of eligibility left and can light it up offensively and as of right now I don't see many of those entering just yet.
Completely agree.

The one player we should add is Okako Adika that played for Butler last year. Has the entire game can drive the basket and shoot the three at 40 percent. A very quick player who someone is going to grab up quickly.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
That's my guess for starters, but having Horston play the wing and Burrell at SG. I think Suarez gets the nod to start, and Green will play more minutes backing up Key instead of the high post. Salary will be the backup to Walker at PG, Wynn for Burrell, Puckett for Horston, and Striplin for the high/low post. This will largely be a development year for Miles. With this rotation, I don't see many minutes available for Saunders, Rennie and Darby. If Kellie signs a high profile transfer, it will likely cut into the freshmen's minutes.
Are you of the mind that Sauderers, Rennie and Darby will be looking for opportunities elsewhere?

I’d love to get Rainey. She can get hot from 3 but also dribble drive.

Are you of the mind that Sauderers, Rennie and Darby will be looking for opportunities elsewhere?
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think any of those 3 are going to play meaningful minutes while they wear orange. They could be ok with that, but if they actually want to play, then I would expect that they'd look to transfer vs. hoping to steal minutes from players that are clearly better than them.

Can a coach make a player leave to free up a spot? This assumes good academic and no rules broken. Some players may be ok not playing if they like the campus and other players and staff.

Can a coach make a player leave to free up a spot? This assumes good academic and no rules broken. Some players may be ok not playing if they like the campus and other players and staff.
I think they can give them the honest truth as to their future with the program. I know that Kim has done that to several players.

VN Store

Back