Tradition? New things? Fun?

The idea that anyone, even over a 3 hour period, could play a selection of music broad enough for each fan to hear at least one song that they enjoyed hearing is foolhardy. And chances are, only a narrow demographic will hear more selections they like than dislike.

I assume the concept is to maintain a level of emotional excitement. Well, whether you're accessing cutting edge psychological research, or just taking your cues from Alfred Hitchcock, the way you maintain the level of an audience is by releasing it periodically. I haven't heard that level of sophistication at any arena, but surely someone smart is doing it. And you can't just program that build/release pattern, because the game on the field is doing much of that for the crowd. So to successfully pull off that kind of crowd manipulation, with the flexibility required, is as much art as science.

But... rather than making the goal to "create an experience" wouldn't we be better served if the focus was on creating an adverse experience for our opponents? Why not make the tech-extras be about the game instead of a distraction from it?

Obviously, encourage noise when our opponent has the ball, and silence the crowd when our offense is calling signals. But we should be bringing more than just noise against our opponents--and without lowering ourselves to the near nihilistic personal abuse associated with the Duke crazies.

Instead, do things with music, sounds, and video that are clever--even funny. Distract our opponents on the sideline, by making them laugh or point things out to each other. Juxtapose a picture of the opposing coach, their team mascot, or uniform with an ironic song selection--and even better if it's a song people can join-in singing "to" the opponent.

Heck, suggestions for those songs and images could be a weekly thread on VolNation.

Add fun to the stadium experience, but make the fun a part of helping our Vols on the field, not an experience separate from the game.

Hadn't noticed this before. LOVE the various VOLS logos.

View attachment 402177

I feel there is an effort to help fans fall back in love with the Vols.

The announcement when the stadium opened was like boarding a plane. It was just different, and fun.

Things are different y'all.

I know, lame. But things are changing. For the better.
The cursive one the baseball team has used. The Volstar hopefully will always be tied with us the block vols for the modern fans. Hopefully we can be united

Reactions: vollygirl
I think we should bring back the ā€œStand Up And Howlā€ chant from the late ā€˜90s. It was awesome.

So it's not OK for someone to ask "why you're here". But it's fine for you to say that thousands of other fans shouldn't be here because they aren't doing exactly what you want on game day? That sounds suspiciously like this...
View attachment 402294
You canā€™t read or canā€™t comprehend. Nowhere did I imply thousands of fans couldnā€™t approach the game differently. Vollygal appears to be the poster who is putting fans down. Iā€™m just saying without the football game you dont have a football game and if winning isnā€™t important we can sell the stadiums, no staff, no funding, no fans, who cares. Show me a college football team with an 0 for forever losing streak and Iā€™ll show you a football program in name only. ā€œWhat I donā€™t likeā€ is a pretty common trait of VOL NATION members. Between the dont like Fulmer, Butch, Dooley, Gruden, Majors, and Pruitt you donā€™t have many Vol Nation members left.

You canā€™t read or canā€™t comprehend. Nowhere did I imply thousands of fans couldnā€™t approach the game differently. Vollygal appears to be the poster who is putting fans down. Iā€™m just saying without the football game you dont have a football game and if winning isnā€™t important we can sell the stadiums, no staff, no funding, no fans, who cares. Show me a college football team with an 0 for forever losing streak and Iā€™ll show you a football program in name only. ā€œWhat I donā€™t likeā€ is a pretty common trait of VOL NATION members. Between the dont like Fulmer, Butch, Dooley, Gruden, Majors, and Pruitt you donā€™t have many Vol Nation members left.
You said fans who want the extra fan experience should go to a circus, fashion show or music festival instead. You absolutely said thousands of fans that like something you don't shouldn't come. Of course winning matters, no one ever implied otherwise. Winning and an improved stadium experience aren't mutually exclusive. Or should we remove the band an cheer leaders too? They are every bit as much of a "sideshow". The only difference is they are older.

VN Store

Back