Tough Decision For Pruitt

What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.

My understanding is that whether or not Maurer plays is not Pruitt's decision, it's the medical staff's. If there is a choice to be made, it's between JG and Shrout, I do believe.

If Maurer can't play, I think you have to go with Shrout. This may actually reduce our chances to win the game but I just can't see playing JG. Some things should be done on principle alone and I think this is one of those cases. JG and Shrout may not be that different as far as actual game performance but, in my opinion, JG has forfeited his opportunity to lead this team. If Shrout can't get it done, so be it but I would leave him in for the whole game. If we lose, that's the way it goes. I don't know any of the players or the coaches and I sure don't have any inside information but I just can't imagine the players having any confidence in or desire to play for JG.

I sort of cringe to think what would happen if they rolled JG out there for the first possession. Don't think that'd be a good look to a TV audience, or recruits and their families. He was already boo'd earlier in the year.......there won't be mistaking this one. Anyway, Shrout is there, healthy. Give him a shot. And get the receivers ready for more velocity.

JG absolutely does not see the field Saturday. Yes, Shrout could cost us the game but I’m ok with that at this point. Give the playing time to the kid who deserves it. After the stunt he pulled this weekend, I doubt the team cares much for JG. Pruitt sure doesn’t look like he does

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don't think Pruitt's decision will be hard at all. If Maurer is a no go, the team is gonna have a real hard time lining up for JG, the rogue agent of Butch that cost them a chance to beat the #1 team in the nation with the single most selfish QB move I remember ever seeing. I'd be willing to bet JG would get hit a few times from his blind side.....If no Maurer you go with Shrout Run the darn ball and mix in some wild cat

What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.
He has NO decision. Either Mauer is medically cleared or he is not. Pruitt has no say in that.

Reactions: NCFisher
All I know is JERSEY needs to be SHORED for good and never take a snap again. Any defense can play man and unload on us. They know he’ll hold it for ever, over throw the WR, throw into triple coverage, or run out of bounds 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage. He is literally a 12th man for the defense at this point.

How do you know he's had 2 concussions???? It's all on the medical staff and his family. If he's cleared to play you can bet he will play and he should play. I trust the doctors who actually know the problem than someone on a message board saying he shouldn't play even if he's cleared and acting like he has more knowledge of the situation than the doctors. I promise you the doctors aren't going to clear him if he is not ready to play. GBO!
I am going by what information has been made available. If he has had 2 concussions, he needs to be taking it easy for a while. The kid is going to want to play and may or may not be 100% honest about what is going on when he is being evaluated by the medical staff. Cleared to play is not the same thing as healthy. Just because a kid isn't concerned about his long term health doesn't mean the coach should have the same opinion.

If anyone listened to Pruitt's presser, it seemed pretty clear that Guarantano is the most likely choice to start this week should Maurer be unable to go. Pruitt pretty much stated that he still believes in Guarantano and that he will still help us compete and win games. Now, some of that might just be coach speak, but knowing his options it's not hard to understand why Pruitt still believes JG is the best option moving forward. He sees Shrout in practice every day. If he doesn't believe he's ready to start, who are we to question Pruitt?

I'm 100% on the Shrout bandwagon, but from what we've seen on the field so far in his limited reps, nothing is showing me that Shrout is ready to win football games. As much as it sucks to say, we might be stuck with Guarantano the rest of the year.

I don't know if it was coach speak or not, but I wonder who starts if BM isn't cleared to play. I have been a very harsh critic of JG this season. I like the kid, but he has looked bad in every game he has played in, with the exception of Mississippi State. There is a reason why Pruitt brought JG in when BM went down. He is (was, at least) the backup. Pruitt must believe he gave us the best chance to win the game, and based on JG's performance this year, that can only mean that Shrout isn't ready to play at all.

Pruitt has been VERY kind to the kid by not throwing him under the bus. I appreciate that - I'm sure JG does, too. I speculated that he would not play another down at UT, but maybe I'm wrong.

No contest Shrout and if he gets hurt put in Jennings. Not another snap for JG at Tennessee!!!!!

JJ may not have played qb since high school, but he is a leader and he knows the offense. Im sure he's more than capable to toss some slants, screens, and keep n run ala Dobbs. If we need the deep ball, throw Shrout in there.
Jj can throw the deep ball

He’ll no. Guys, Jauan Jennings CAN NOT play QB in the SEC. He is a WR. If they want to put him in for 4-5 wildcat plays, then fine. But he CAN NOT play QB for us, period.

I laugh that it has to be said. I mean, I'm no football expert, but come on. Lol.

JG absolutely does not see the field Saturday. Yes, Shrout could cost us the game but I’m ok with that at this point. Give the playing time to the kid who deserves it. After the stunt he pulled this weekend, I doubt the team cares much for JG. Pruitt sure doesn’t look like he does

Imo opinion we have a better chance with shrout than jg. No chance at all with jg

JG cannot be trusted under center again - he's been given his chances and has shown that he will do whatever he wants. We are playing for a bowl bid and JG will take away any chance that we have to possibly go bowling. I will never bash one of our players but he has proven he's a renegade and the team knows it now after watching that fumble into the endzone. The announcers actually mentioned earlier in the game Saturday night that he had been changing plays at the line against the coaches wishes and WOW! - look what happened in the fourth quarter. Apparently some of the crazy play calls we have seen in earlier games were not the coaches called plays but JG thinking he knows more than the staff. Do whatever else is necessary and we will have to take our chances, but JG cannot be on the field again leading this team!

I laugh that it has to be said. I mean, I'm no football expert, but come on. Lol.

If we are gonna run run pass. Jennings on running plays jg on passing. At least u have another running threat with jennings.

JG cannot be trusted under center again - he's been given his chances and has shown that he will do whatever he wants. We are playing for a bowl bid and JG will take away any chance that we have to possibly go bowling. I will never bash one of our players but he has proven he's a renegade and the team knows it now after watching that fumble into the endzone. The announcers actually mentioned earlier in the game Saturday night that he had been changing plays at the line against the coaches wishes and WOW! - look what happened in the fourth quarter. Apparently some of the crazy play calls we have seen in earlier games were not the coaches called plays but JG thinking he knows more than the staff. Do whatever else is necessary and we will have to take our chances, but JG cannot be on the field again leading this team!
That is a TEAM decision and how they feel and how JG handled the situation with the TEAM.

simply, if BM is not cleared, he doesn't play...JG is up next...if we start getting blown out, then you may see JT...that's where we are right now...and,

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!

After several days I've changed my mind about this. JG should be our last gasp option IMO, no way he plays before Shrout or even JJ in the wildcat. Shrout has practiced all year as the #3 QB and if 1 & 2 can't go it's next man up. It's why you practice and I trust Chaney can put a plan together to allow Shrout to perform well enough to win a game for us.

VN Store

Back