Tough Decision For Pruitt

Jennings? where did this come from? Not a chance.
He played QB in high school and threw a TD to Dobbs once. Once. So naturally, the VN intelligence collective assumes he’s our best option. He’s needed FAR too much as a WR.

So my opinion is... if Maurer’s out, roll with Shrout.

He played QB in high school and threw a TD to Dobbs once. Once. So naturally, the VN intelligence collective assumes he’s our best option. He’s needed FAR too much as a WR.

It’s really strange. Let’s turn our biggest weapon into our biggest liability.

Jennings is completely unproven as a QB. He has not played since High School and is a much better asset as a receiver. Shrout will have to be prepared if Maurer actually has a concussion from this game.
What does any of that have to do with South Carolina?

Yeah. I could see him for a wildcat or two, but not the main man. And the way Pruitt was trying to smooth things over with the media, I'll be surprised if he doesn't go back to JG. Hoping Maurer has the rubber noggin.

If medical clears him you play him. I’d make dam sure medical was certain he’s good before playing him but if he’s cleared and healthy you have to start him.

I dont disagree but I think with the cumulative effect of concussions the med guys may error on the side of caution this week.

I hope BM starts but not to the detriment of his health.

I say it will probably be JG but if he fuks up one time by not following directions he is finished @UT and any and all backups should take his spot. Idk if it’s a punter. 😁

Pruitt said as much in his presser. If BM is cleared by the medical staff, he will start.

Not really his decision to make.

GBO!

Medical staff does not compose the starting lineup, they can only “clear” him.

I dont disagree but I think with the cumulative effect of concussions the med guys may error on the side of caution this week.
I mean I’m fine with whatever medical decides but if they say he’s fine then he should play. A head coach has enough to worry about without pretending to be a doctor. People try to over complicate it saying Pruitt should sit him like he’s supposed to assume Maurer has a concussion.

Medical staff does not compose the starting lineup, they can only “clear” him.
Why the hell would Pruitt second guess the Med staff if they clear him? As a coach you have a couple of questions, is he healthy? Well if he’s healthy is he the best player to help us win the game?

Reactions: volfanhill
What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.

It will not be tough decision for Coach Pruitt as regards QB JG. Unless absolutely necessary JG has played his last play under Coach Pruitt.

Why the hell would Pruitt second guess the Med staff if they clear him? As a coach you have a couple of questions, is he healthy? Well if he’s healthy is he the best player to help us win the game?

Not second guessing anyone. Pruitt gets the big bucks to make such a decision. All on him.

2 concussions in 8 days to be exact.

The best college qbs have to have durability. As much as I love Maurer, he isn’t physically built for this position in the SEC. mentally, he is more than ready. I could almost argue the opposite for JG.
But Maurer was either thrown in too soon which is the coach’s fault, or he just never would have been able hack it even if he gained 20 lbs. unpopular yes, will I get burned, probably. But this is jmo

Maurer was Knocked out, knocked out of the game, and knocked out, see game film, maybe two or three seconds, and collapses on the side line. I have never said, and I hope I have not inferred that Maurer received a concussion due to the strong hit he took, that would be up to his doctors/coaches. I did not see any head injury or contact. I have stated and stick with it, as it is based on 100% fact, he has played in the three, and been injured in three-left the game type injury. Again, I hope this is a fluke, and that he is not injury prone, and I wish him a quick and complete recovery.
I don't speak with Coach Pruitt, by phone or by person, so I don't have any way of knowing what he said after the UGA game to reporters was true or if it were a lie, but when the question came up regarding Maurer being hurt and did not finish, Coach Pruitt said, "..that the injury does not appear to be serious"".

Last edited:
I mean I’m fine with whatever medical decides but if they say he’s fine then he should play. A head coach has enough to worry about without pretending to be a doctor. People try to over complicate it saying Pruitt should sit him like he’s supposed to assume Maurer has a concussion.

I agree. Think the medical staff may be the ones playing it conservative this week.

It's a no brainer though ( pun intended) if he gets healthy enough to be cleared.

You’d think this would be elementary .....would you not? VN never fails to amaze me
You would lose all credibility with team and media if CJP ever put JG back on the field, ever. I think he explicitly told him last blanking chance.

Assuming Maurer can’t go, play Shrout. JG plays only if both are injured - he’s equivalent to the NFL emergency qb. You cannot have a QB who goes brain dead when the pressure is on. No need to pile on him but no need to continue playing him either.

If anyone listened to Pruitt's presser, it seemed pretty clear that Guarantano is the most likely choice to start this week should Maurer be unable to go. Pruitt pretty much stated that he still believes in Guarantano and that he will still help us compete and win games. Now, some of that might just be coach speak, but knowing his options it's not hard to understand why Pruitt still believes JG is the best option moving forward. He sees Shrout in practice every day. If he doesn't believe he's ready to start, who are we to question Pruitt?

I'm 100% on the Shrout bandwagon, but from what we've seen on the field so far in his limited reps, nothing is showing me that Shrout is ready to win football games. As much as it sucks to say, we might be stuck with Guarantano the rest of the year.
One question.. What has Guarantano showed you that makes you think he is ever gonna be ready to win football games at this level?

He’ll no. Guys, Jauan Jennings CAN NOT play QB in the SEC. He is a WR. If they want to put him in for 4-5 wildcat plays, then fine. But he CAN NOT play QB for us, period.
How soon you forget that Kentucky used a WR at QB during the Dooley years and beat us, (granted we had the worse defense in the history.)Heck isn’t KY doing that again now?
It can be done.

If Maurer cannot go then you have to roll with Shrout. Without Maurer the game plan will be simple anyway. Let Shrout hand the ball off. If he trots JG out there the whole VOL nation will let out the loudest collective groan. Play Shrout keep it simple. Put in some wildcat. I would like them to add a Jennings pass/sweep option maybe. Line up and start a sweep with an option for 5-10 yard pass. It's a simple read trying to get eyes on Jennings and sneak somebody out behind them. Was hoping they might try a Tebow jump pass with Jennings down at the goal line. Even vanilla you have to keep them guessing at times. If they could hit on one of these options the next wildcat run might keep all of the defense from crashing in. Look at Bama's trick play that left a player wide open in the end zone.

VN Store

Back