Top 10 projected defenses in 2020 according to SP+

Hmmm so playing defense at a high level and running effectively are based on QB play? Interesting.
B.O.T. What part of his thinking took you to that statement. Just curious...I’m not trying to start up a debate or argument...My understanding he’s saying defense is good...Running game is suppose to be....The Qb play is the only question mark on how good that they will be...I personally think there’s a lot more to how good they can be. But as good as a team can be it always starts at the QB. VFL

B.O.T. What part of his thinking took you to that statement. Just curious...I’m not trying to start up a debate or argument...My understanding he’s saying defense is good...Running game is suppose to be....The Qb play is the only question mark on how good that they will be...I personally think there’s a lot more to how good they can be. But as good as a team can be it always starts at the QB. VFL

It seems like his statement is erroneous. If it all boils down to QB play, then defense and a run game aren’t that important. It’s the silly idea of thinking that a sport that requires so many players can be reduced down to a single position.

I don’t care how good a QB is. If the OL, WRs and RBs aren’t that good then the offense will struggle.

It's great to be back in the Top 10 at something finally.

That's solid improvement and Pruitt is seriously working on the rest.

That's more proof that we ARE climbing back up towards a Top 10 ranking.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We all know what happens when Georgia has high expectations...
images

Reactions: sameolvol
If our defense is going to carry this team it will be interesting to see what JC will do with the offense. Will we be a run the ball controlling the clock type setting up play action or full on air raid? I know QB play will be the ultimate factor but excited to see what transpires. Could the o line finally be strength? It just seems like it has been forever since we have been able to impose our will upfront against opposing defenses. The entire group not just Trey need to do this.

If our defense is going to carry this team it will be interesting to see what JC will do with the offense. Will we be a run the ball controlling the clock type setting up play action or full on air raid? I know QB play will be the ultimate factor but excited to see what transpires. Could the o line finally be strength? It just seems like it has been forever since we have been able to impose our will upfront against opposing defenses. The entire group not just Trey need to do this.
you're correct about the QB, that will dictate a lot, and we're just gonna have to wait and see on that front. but a lot of pieces are in place.....that hte offense could be pretty darn good to, starting with the O line and the RB room.

as for how the defense could affect philsophy on offense (taking out the QB concern from the equation), if the defense is as stout as we think/hope it can be, it does allow play callers to be a little more 'free' with the play calling. if you can trust your defense to go get stops, then you're less concerned about the dreaded "what if's" when you have the ball.

throw a QB in there that you can definitley trust, and you can be really aggressive on both sides of the ball.

not to just oversimplify it, but in a lot of ways, i do think this season boils down to whehter or not we get better at QB.....no matter who's taking snaps. QB has to be better. period.

Neyland is rumored to have said, If you do not allow the other team to score, you only need score once to win. Now, I do not think modern times allows for a repeat of the 1939 Vols feat. However, I am encouraged by the ranking. The Vols should win some games pundits do not think that they should.

A defense in the top 25 isn't too much to ask for!?

Seriously, if we can have a defense in the top 25 and an offense in the top 40 I'd say we would be a force in the SEC.

It seems like his statement is erroneous. If it all boils down to QB play, then defense and a run game aren’t that important. It’s the silly idea of thinking that a sport that requires so many players can be reduced down to a single position.

I don’t care how good a QB is. If the OL, WRs and RBs aren’t that good then the offense will struggle.

You are probably the only person that argues this to the extent you do. Its comical that you seem to think you're one of the few in the sports world that knows football is a team sport and a QB can't play the game without the other 10 on his team. Lol.

LSU with JG doesn't win the NC. Obviously just my opinion.

Oregon at #2 on defense and not ranked on offense means the world could end at any minute.
lol.

it does sound we're doesn't it? but that's a reflection of losing the stud QB and the additions to the defense they've made the past two recruiting classes....they've gotten some studs in there on defense.

hahaha...i didn't want anyone to feel too bad for Bama......

but yeah....we're going in the right direction for sure......agreed.

i'm excited about the next couple years...
Alabama was predicted #1 in 2019 but where did they actually finish? I’m not sure this projection has much merit to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willy999

VN Store

Back