Too many options?

81Orange

Barns has done a great job of rebuilding our basketball team. His development of players seems to be extraordinary. All of the sudden it seems we have too many good players, if that's possible. Turners return and the small lineup used at Mo. have given us a wealth of options.

Barnes team first culture has worked so far, but how can all these guys get enough playing time to stay sharp. I really like what this says about next year.

I am not complaining, just looking for your thoughts.

We need to start a campaign for RB as coach of the year.

Reactions: RollerVol
Can never have too many good players as long as everyone buys into their role on the team (which is important). Barnes does a masterful job of creating the vision. To the contrary, I follow Nova closely and they had some 5* frosh out on social media griping about not playing much, and you've seen their early results, but have noticed they're coming around. Barnes has always said, even in his first/second years that he wants them playing all out effort and when they get tired to put their hands up...it's just that now, we can insert players with no discernible drop off in talent... likewise, a few rival SEC teams may keep pace with our starting 5 for a bit, but our depth pays off, and expect it will really start to pay off as the long season plays out.

Barns has done a great job of rebuilding our basketball team. His development of players seems to be extraordinary. All of the sudden it seems we have too many good players, if that's possible. Turners return and the small lineup used at Mo. have given us a wealth of options.

Barnes team first culture has worked so far, but how can all these guys get enough playing time to stay sharp. I really like what this says about next year.

You can never have too many good players. I worry about Admiral and Grant when the refs want to take over a game and call every touch a foul.

Reactions: Kinger
We have a very good team, but I disagree about being too deep. We do not have a proven, efficient backup to Kyle. Fulk is very inconsistent. We also have not see consistency out of Yves. We really only have a rotation of 7 consistent players, which is not extremely deep. Our 8-10 players luckily have been consistent enough to allow Barnes to push the right buttons to get enough minutes from them to spell the other 7. With Grant and Admiral having somewhat off night against Mo., Turner and Bowden were the spark that helped Kyle carry that game and right now, Bone has become the MVP since the Gonzaga game.

Reactions: Vols All Day
We have a lot of good players pushing each other for minutes and when Grant and Admiral are saddled with foul trouble, CRB has proven options that can take up the slack. Fulkerson and Walker will get better offensively and then the bench will have more consistent scoring options up front to go with Bowden and Turner in the back court.

Reactions: Vols All Day
We have a very good team, but I disagree about being too deep. We do not have a proven, efficient backup to Kyle. Fulk is very inconsistent. We also have not see consistency out of Yves. We really only have a rotation of 7 consistent players, which is not extremely deep. Our 8-10 players luckily have been consistent enough to allow Barnes to push the right buttons to get enough minutes from them to spell the other 7. With Grant and Admiral having somewhat off night against Mo., Turner and Bowden were the spark that helped Kyle carry that game and right now, Bone has become the MVP since the Gonzaga game.
How many teams can you name that are more than 7 deep in players that could start for them? Did a pretty good job playing 9 deep with Grant sitting 18 minutes and keeping them at about 36% shooting. How much more could you ask for?
For an example, Duke plays about 6 deep in their tougher games.

Last edited:
I think Coach Rick Barnes could teach a mannequin to play help defense, to toss out a couple of assists on offense, and on some nights to look like an All-American.

Last edited:

Good options breeds competition which breeds improvement from everyone or they get left behind. It certainly isn't a bad thing. You think Alabama is complaining about having too many good football players? ;)

It's interesting that the majority of our team came out as 3-star players, yet here we are hanging with the best of the teams...that are loaded with talent. Barnes can make just about anyone play like a 5-star. We're only deep I think because of the coaching and how committed the guys are. And I know, I know...stars don't mean that much, but still. It's impressive. All of these programs going after the very top talent, yet we're better than most of them. Having depth in our roster is a good thing, to me.

No such thing as too many options. That increases your chances of winning because of what we witnessed against Missouri. Any other team in the country gets 3 points combined at halftime from their 2 best players and they are losing big. We on the other hand lead by double digits. I’ll take way too many options than just enough options every day of the week.

You can't take anything for granted, if Kyle missing out vs Loyola-Chicago teaches us anything. Kansas lost their big man and now they're not even the favorite to win the B12. Develop as much quality depth as you can and pray for limited injuries, and if you're lucky you'll be there at the end.

Oh, we ARE deep. Period.

Good point, my friend.
We are very good to great 1-7 but I'm not as enamored with the rest of our roster like some on here are. We definitely need either Fulk or Walker to step up and be a consistant bench player. The way refs are calling games right now Grant lives in foul trouble.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You only have a problem in two ways.

1) if your team is too selfish or over passes. We have the right temperament as the stats confirm. Look at assist to turnover ratio.

2) Only other potential problem is when your top scorers need more tocuhes to get in a rhythm. We don't have that problem either.

58730D04-B66D-4039-BC37-65994288EDB8.jpeg

VN Store

Back