Too early to look at the Pitt game?

Since last year,

(a) we lost the best part of our defensive backfield (Alontae and Theo)
(b) they lost the heart and soul of their offense (Pickett and Addison)
(c) we found a superstar QB (Hooker)
(d) the venue moved from Knoxville to Pittsburgh

Now, that's a mixed bag. Two of the significant changes favor the Vols; two favor the Panthers.

But for my money, the most monumental of those changes are (b) and (c).

Losing a QB like Kenny Pickett always hurts. Losing your star WR on top of it, that's a recipe for "rebuild" on the offensive side of the ball. And we're playing them early in the season. Early season games and "rebuild" tend not to mix well together. This is a big shift.

The other big shift is Hendon Hooker. He is a night & day difference from Joe Mixon. I'm not casting aspersion on Joe, he might be really good this year, having had a year to grow from his rocky Rocky Top start. But Hendon's just a different beast than Joe's 2021 performance against Pitt, and will give the game a completely different complexion when the Vols are on offense.

Sure, give Pitt a field goal's worth of advantage for playing at home, got it, and we really do need to find new stars in our defensive backfield. But that (b) and (c) combo, I think, is going to make this not such a close game after all.

I'm thinking 48-32 kind of margin. I think it will be comfortable--though not necessarily a lock--throughout most or all of the 4th Qtr. I do NOT believe it will be a final drive nail-biter.

Go Vols!

Reactions: FBtime and ENGRVOL
Early season game with some key losses on both sides of the ball from last year. Playing on the road against players who will have a chip on their shoulder to show they can compete against a sec school. Will take a one point win as long as everyone remains healthy for the swamp lizards 2 weeks later.

Phil Steel has Pitt at -4. Home field advantage spread with what he thinks is “ one of the best defensive lines in the country” for Pitt. I really wanna see our O Line step up and dominate.

I got to be honest, I think we destroy them. They're about as talented as Missouri or South Carolina were last year. If Hooker starts that game we score at least 14-21 more points on easy passes.

They don't have the benefit of us learning a new system and having a very poor QB situation. Hooker has established himself, and this team was humming on offense by the end of last year. I don't think their offense is going to be about to keep up with ours personally. Tennessee wins comfortably this time.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I got to be honest, I think we destroy them. They're about as talented as Missouri or South Carolina were last year. If Hooker starts that game we score at least 14-21 more points on easy passes.

They don't have the benefit of us learning a new system and having a very poor QB situation. Hooker has established himself, and this team was humming on offense by the end of last year. I don't think their offense is going to be about to keep up with ours personally. Tennessee wins comfortably this time.
And now they are learning a new season with worse QB play.

Ok

Vols lost the 2021 game in the first half w JMilton at QB missing several big opportunities with HHooker replacing the injured JMilton late 2nd Qtr, if I remember correctly. It was a very close game at the end and HHooker's debut. Plus we got a bad spot at least once that couild've changed the outcome.

2022 game will be a 14+ point victory for the Vols on the road.

Go Vols!

So 3-5 in the SEC? That’s pathetic and a regression from last year. I don’t see that happening at all. I think we will match last year’s SEC record at a minimum if not go 5-3.
4-4
My answer was contradictory. Sorry about that.
I have us losing to Pitt, but won't be surprised if we win because of what I stated.

My prediction:
200.gif
We gonna roll our junk up in there and ruin their grass?

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see us winning this one on the road, defense and run game still very concerning. I think people are forgetting just how bad our defense was..

I'd be THRILLED if that happens.

Pitt is an emerging program. I don't think it was a fluke last year. Had Hooker been the guy from the jump, maybe we would have won. Maybe.

Theyre faster and more physical than people realize. Well coached.

They lost Addison, but they still have running backs and a good QB . That defense will be sound again.

Tough road game and if we can rush for 175 to 200 yards in this game, that will give HH a chance to make some big plays in the passing game.

My feeling is that they lost Pickett to the draft - he's probably the only reason they were in the game and actually won - though it was questionable at times. I'm not sure they're a team that can lost that much at a key position and be that competitive, even though they're at home. If TN goes in and does business this isn't a win in question. TN has Hooker....we're in reverse this year, TN has the QB and they do not. Part of me says the game is over-rated....that is unless someone doesn't show up, as in TN.

Tons of tix available and Pittsburgh is a pretty cool place to visit for a few days. Weather should be better than Jacksonville in Dec/Jan, too. Pirates in town playing the Cards. No reason we shouldn't have 10k+ fans there. Treat this like a good bowl game matchup.

Reactions: LittleVol
Tons of tix available and Pittsburgh is a pretty cool place to visit for a few days. Weather should be better than Jacksonville in Dec/Jan, too. Pirates in town playing the Cards. No reason we shouldn't have 10k+ fans there. Treat this like a good bowl game matchup.
Haven't been to that city yet!

You all enjoy 👍

I'd be THRILLED if that happens.

Pitt is an emerging program. I don't think it was a fluke last year. Had Hooker been the guy from the jump, maybe we would have won. Maybe.

Theyre faster and more physical than people realize. Well coached.

They lost Addison, but they still have running backs and a good QB . That defense will be sound again.
Not maybe. If we hit 1 deep ball we're tied. Out of the 8 Joe missed I think Hendon hits more than 1.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back