Tony White or Chris Lofton

Tough choice, but I'll take Tony White. (51 pts vs Auburn)

Lightly recruited player that just kept getting better. Imagine him if the 3-pointer was actually what it is today....and he only had it for one year.

images

Also...............Both are fighters. Fought/fighting life threatning illness. I'd take both if possible

Maybe Tony for ball handling. He might have been better at finding a shot. Lofton had far better range. CL was a threat about as soon as TN crossed half court.

I don’t know if TW or CL was notable on the defensive end but weren’t necessarily liabilities there either.

TW for all he brought to the team, but....the bomb CL dropped on Texas (do you remember that one CRB?) is still a pick me up 3 or 4 times a year.

Reactions: NashVol11
You want a guard ... pick Tony. You want a shooter ... Chris.
If I am in a pickup game ... I am choosing Chris every time.
Can't get that Texas game outa my mind.

Reactions: jp1 and Voltopia
If Lofton was pre-illness "Lofton over Durant" Lofton, then Lofton. But frankly if I picked either one I'd know I was gonna win me some games.

Tony White was before my time, so I have no basis on which to judge. I'll always have a special fondness for Chris Lofton, though, as the teams he led made UT basketball my favorite sport (I had long been a fair weather fan, and there hadn't been much fair weather since the first game I remember watching -- Dyron Nix's team against West Virginia).

The thing that I really liked about Tony White was Fred Jenkins. They were a fun pair to have on the court together. Fred wasn’t the shooter/scorer that Tony was, but he was a great defender and a great passer. Unfortunately Fred had some injuries or something so even though they came in together they missed some time playing together. IIRC what those teams missed, like King/Grunfeld and Ellis, was a large center. I think that Nix had to play out of position much like Dale Ellis selflessly did. All of those teams needed a Len Kosmalski to bang down low. The best teams of that era all had the freakish big guys.

Tony White was before my time, so I have no basis on which to judge. I'll always have a special fondness for Chris Lofton, though, as the teams he led made UT basketball my favorite sport (I had long been a fair weather fan, and there hadn't been much fair weather since the first game I remember watching -- Dyron Nix's team against West Virginia).
Then u just barely missed the Wizard because he played with Nix for at least 2 years

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I like Tony and he was a walking bucket but I’ll take the guy that drained a game winning bomb over Kevin Durant. He was the best three point shooter in the country during his time, but he was also one of the most clutch players. I was legitimately shocked anytime he missed a free throw. That shot was just silky smooth.

VN Store

Back