Tom Allen is a name no one mentions

We could certainly do worse...and have.

If we miss out on Freeze and he goes to Auburn, I'd love to see Malzahn on the Hill. Something about his success in the SEC, and against our rivals makes him seem like a homerun to me.

Allen lands 3rd on my list...not that has any bearing on anything.

We don’t need another up and coming guy. He’s doing a good job this season but it’s a very down year for the Big Ten. Only 4 out of 14 teams have a winning record. Even in a normal year the competition level is nowhere close to SEC.

In 5 seasons Allen only has 1 top 50 recruiting class. And he’s NEVER had a top 35 class.

I LOVE Tom Allen and what he has done at IU...and for all you naysayers out there, he was handing our arse to us in the Gator Bowl and we got a gift from the football gods with that inside kick.

But a few things folks need to understand:
1) He is an Indiana native and has said over and over that he loves coaching in his home state.
2) He's a defense first guy. IU didn't really put up any offense until last part of last season and this season...and oh yeah there's still games this year they haven't like this week at Wisconsin...is this fanbase patient enough for that?
3) See number 2...he MUST have his OC to be successful, be it Nick Sheridan or Kaelen Deboar...Sheridan would be in line for the IU spot and Deboar is now HC out west...so finding an OC might be an issue.
4) He took over for a dismissed Kevin Wilson, he's actually been at IU for like 5 years building up to this recent success...again does this fanbase have that kind of patience?

All of that stated, here's why I would love to see Allen in Orange. I tend to work late in the fall and winter and usually get to catch the coaches show on Wednesday evening. Earlier this year Tom was asked by Don Fisher (IU play by play... basically their version of Jon Ward and reminds me a lot of him) to relate a story about index cards. The story goes like this - 2 years ago in the first team meeting of Fall camp, Allen passed around index cards to all the players. He asked them to write down any teams on their schedule they didn't think they could beat. After everyone filled out a card, Allen asked show of hands, who thinks we cant beat Michigan...about half the hands went up. Who thinks we can't beat Michigan State...more hands went up. What about OSU...almost everyone's hand is up at this point. Tom Allen then stared down the entire the room and told thoseen with their hands up to leave their gear in the locker on game day, don't worry about riding the bus to Colombus...he came to coach winners believe they will win everytime !!! He did the same exercise this season and not a single hand ever went up...

THAT is the kind of culture we need at Tennessee...but are willing to be patient to have it???

We don’t need another up and coming guy. He’s doing a good job this season but it’s a very down year for the Big Ten. Only 4 out of 14 teams have a winning record. Even in a normal year the competition level is nowhere close to SEC.

In 5 seasons Allen only has 1 top 50 recruiting class. And he’s NEVER had a top 35 class.

And look what he's doing with the talent he has. People the said the same about Mullen at MSU. Seems like UF is happy with that hire.

He’s a Freeze protege, doing big things at Indiana. Tennessee is a bigger job. He has experience in the SEC and recruiting the South.

I’m not saying Pruitt will be fired, but if he is, that’s a name to consider.
TA is Probably Michigan's next coach unless Urban Meyer takes it. I'm sure he would love to stick it to Ohio st. for the way he got treated.

Reactions: UTwild82
And look what he's doing with the talent he has. People the said the same about Mullen at MSU. Seems like UF is happy with that hire.
Tom Allen’s best recruiting class, and only top 50 class, was ranked 36th in the country. Only once in 9 seasons at Mississippi State did Dan Mullen have a class ranked higher than 36th. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but the stats would suggest that it’s a fundamentally weak argument at best. Additionally, Mullen had almost a decade of successful SEC coaching experience when he was hired at Florida. Tom Allen is currently in the midst of just his 2nd winning season at IU, in a substantially weaker conference. Thank you, come again.

I’d say if we’re going to make the move (and incur all the financial implications that come with it)...you have to know you’ve got the home run hire in the bag. And from the sound of it we absolutely could have just that. But it’s not an up and comer. It’s hugh freeze. Plus I hate the idea of hiring in of the few coaches our current one actually beat.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I don’t care what caliber of a coach you bring in, if you don’t make a splash name hire where these stupid teenagers get all hyped about, we are going to recruit in the mid teens. It takes players folks. Look at what sark is doing at Alabama. Everyone thinks he’s NOW the next big thing. He’s not, it’s those ridiculous 5 stars at all 11 positions on the field. He just dials up whatever he wants and it works. There’s no thinking involved.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I don’t care what caliber of a coach you bring in, if you don’t make a splash name hire where these stupid teenagers get all hyped about, we are going to recruit in the mid teens. It takes players folks. Look at what sark is doing at Alabama. Everyone thinks he’s NOW the next big thing. He’s not, it’s those ridiculous 5 stars at all 11 positions on the field. He just dials up whatever he wants and it works. There’s no thinking involved.
thats how Beldar got the HC at UT

Reactions: Flipdaddy
It’s going to be a few more years until Michigan is going to be looking for a new coach.
Unless Harbaugh leaves on his own - he has to be tired of the grind by now -- NFL a few losses in a season doesnt ruin it like it does college

Tom Allen’s best recruiting class, and only top 50 class, was ranked 36th in the country. Only once in 9 seasons at Mississippi State did Dan Mullen have a class ranked higher than 36th. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but the stats would suggest that it’s a fundamentally weak argument at best. Additionally, Mullen had almost a decade of successful SEC coaching experience when he was hired at Florida. Tom Allen is currently in the midst of just his 2nd winning season at IU, in a substantially weaker conference. Thank you, come again.

That's not really the point. I can point to a number of other examples if you wish.

Recruiting classes don't mean ****. Not sure what you're expecting him to do better in Indiana in that regard. He's winning with the talent he has and is beating good teams in the process. Nearly pulled off the upset at the horseshoe a couple weekends ago.

That's not really the point. I can point to a number of other examples if you wish.

Recruiting classes don't mean ****. Not sure what you're expecting him to do better in Indiana in that regard. He's winning with the talent he has and is beating good teams in the process. Nearly pulled off the upset at the horseshoe a couple weekends ago.
Recruiting classes don’t mean ****?? That’s an interesting take. Incredibly stupid, but interesting nevertheless. And what are these good teams that he is beating? There is 1 good team in the Big Ten and he didn’t beat them. Of the 14 teams in the Big Ten only 4 of them have winning records. If he’s so great then why couldn’t he beat Jeremy Pruitt last season? And don’t say we had better players, because you’ve already said recruiting classes don’t mean ****. Your words. We can keep going back and forth, I’m cool with that. You’re not going to win against me, though. Have a great evening and go vols, pal.

Reactions: savannahfan
Isn’t he also having success largely due to his quarterback, now out for the year unfortunately, who was apparently not good enough for Tennessee? Strange irony.

Recruiting classes don’t mean ****?? That’s an interesting take. Incredibly stupid, but interesting nevertheless. And what are these good teams that he is beating? There is 1 good team in the Big Ten and he didn’t beat them. Of the 14 teams in the Big Ten only 4 of them have winning records. If he’s so great then why couldn’t he beat Jeremy Pruitt last season? And don’t say we had better players, because you’ve already said recruiting classes don’t mean ****. Your words. We can keep going back and forth, I’m cool with that. You’re not going to win against me, though. Have a great evening and go vols, pal.

This is not a smart take. If you're actually from there you should know how hard it is to win at Indiana. Let alone play like they are. They've been ranked in the top 10 more weeks this season that any time in over 50 years. They just went on the road and beat Wisconsin with their back up quarterback because Penix was out. They hadn't won in Madison in 20 years. They broke a 25 game losing streak to Michigan this year. They got their second win vs Penn State since Penn State joined the Big 10 26 years ago. He beat all those teams with inferior talent. Which is how its always going to be at the Indianas of college football.

I really have no idea how our fans think that winning big at historical black holes isn't impressive. Before you start with "RAH RAH SEC!" stuff. The SEC is 7-6 vs the Big Ten the last 3 seasons.

I LOVE Tom Allen and what he has done at IU...and for all you naysayers out there, he was handing our arse to us in the Gator Bowl and we got a gift from the football gods with that inside kick.
are willing to be patient to have it???

That's exaggerating a bit? JG gave them one TD. When UT decided to play they finally did.
And onside kicks are part of the game.
Pruitt beat him.

With that said. Yeah he's a good coach. Dooley beat Butch head to head, but Butch had a better stint at UT than Dooely no question.

But he's not Hugh Freeze imo. Or even Chadwell or Campbell.

Reactions: IndianaVol
If Dooley, Butch, and JP can all bring in top 15 and 20 classes every year, something tells me this guy could too.

Reactions: VolArmy74

Yes. Recruiting classes. Don't. Mean. ****. How many top 10 classes has Clemson pulled during the Dabo years? Gary Patterson at TCU puts together a top 10 overall team every 2-3 years or so and I don't think he's ever had even a top 25 class in the 15+ years he's been there. And TCU churns out multiple NFL draftees on yearly basis too. How about Iowa State under Matt Campbell? Boise State? Hell even KY won 10 games in 2018 with classes ranked outside the top 30 and they've put more drafted players than we have recently.

It's all about how you develop your talent and your in-game coaching ability. Consistent highly ranked classes for sure make it easier. But obviously there are tons of examples of these sorts of teams vastly underperforming. TX, USC, Michigan, Texas A&M, Florida St have all underperformed with elite recruiting classes. Hell even Auburn has failed to consistently put forth championship caliber teams despite elite talent.

Reactions: dlravol2
We could certainly do worse...and have.

If we miss out on Freeze and he goes to Auburn, I'd love to see Malzahn on the Hill. Something about his success in the SEC, and against our rivals makes him seem like a homerun to me.

Allen lands 3rd on my list...not that has any bearing on anything.
I think we could do much worse than Malzahn, and have also, but it's really more his relative success against Saban that is attractive than anything else. Malzahn is 3-5 against Saban, but also only 2-7 against UGA and 0-1 vs. UF.

VN Store

Back