Toledo's classy post-game press conference.

Voltopia

Score fast, score hard, no mercy.
Both their players and their coach were pretty dang classy about congratulating Tennessee. It was almost too classy. Nothing but praise. I just want to transcribe, with some degree of paraphrasing, what they said about Tennessee -

Cullop: "They're a very talented team, and their size, length, athleticism, it was very hard to prepare for in one day. And we wish them the very best. They've got a great team that's playing very well right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they fared very well at the next round."

Lockett: "We tried our best to pack it in there in the paint tonight, and once we did that, they started hitting threes - there was really nothing we could do about that. I would say that's a really good team we played out there. They played well tonight, and I hope they keep playing that well going forward."

Mikonowicz expressed similar thoughts, but I'mma be honest, I was tired of transcribing.

Lockett also got a little emotional talking about how she hoped this wasn't their only chance to play in the tournament, which Cullop echoed when she spoke about how hard it was for their conference to get teams in the big dance even when she felt they were good enough to compete with big name schools. Nothing to add on those comments, just some food for thought there. Seemed like it was appropriate to hear them speak about their perspective before we close the book on these two rounds and look forward to the Sweet 16.

Both their players and their coach were pretty dang classy about congratulating Tennessee. It was almost too classy. Nothing but praise. I just want to transcribe, with some degree of paraphrasing, what they said about Tennessee -

Cullop: "They're a very talented team, and their size, length, athleticism, it was very hard to prepare for in one day. And we wish them the very best. They've got a great team that's playing very well right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they fared very well at the next round."

Lockett: "We tried our best to pack it in there in the paint tonight, and once we did that, they started hitting threes - there was really nothing we could do about that. I would say that's a really good team we played out there. They played well tonight, and I hope they keep playing that well going forward."

Mikonowicz expressed similar thoughts, but I'mma be honest, I was tired of transcribing.

Lockett also got a little emotional talking about how she hoped this wasn't their only chance to play in the tournament, which Cullop echoed when she spoke about how hard it was for their conference to get teams in the big dance even when she felt they were good enough to compete with big name schools. Nothing to add on those comments, just some food for thought there. Seemed like it was appropriate to hear them speak about their perspective before we close the book on these two rounds and look forward to the Sweet 16.
Their coaches pre-game presser was equally classy. She shared stories about Pat and talked about the legacy of Tennessee basketball. Had Abby Conklin talk to her team about Pat. She had some interesting comments about NET versus RPI. Very well spoken.

Their coaches pre-game presser was equally classy. She shared stories about Pat and talked about the legacy of Tennessee basketball. Had Abby Conklin talk to her team about Pat. She had some interesting comments about NET versus RPI. Very well spoken.

Found that pre-game presser. Their Coach speaks about Pat and the history of Tennessee at the 24-minute mark of the video. Hard not to pull for that coach and program after hearing that. They've earned a few fans tonight for sure.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing this. This is great. I love Quinesha Lockett!

Did Sara get slapped in this game? Didn't show on TV, just said review underway then a no call. But people who were there say this happened and both Sara and Kellie were furious. Said that's why Franklin threw the elbow

So I'm holding off on classy til this gets cleared up.

Did Sara get slapped in this game? Didn't show on TV, just said review underway then a no call. But people who were there say this happened and both Sara and Kellie were furious. Said that's why Franklin threw the elbow

If so, what a friend. Love that from Franklin lol. She said “how bout some of this ole girl?” That’s the way to have your teammates back.

I don’t condone violence, but if you’re really asking for it…

Apparently she did! There was confusion in the arena as few knew what was going on. Sara was totally ticked off -- which made everyone around me remark things like, "It's SO unlike Sara to get mad!" -- and at the end of telling what happened while she was still out on the court, Sara flat-out put her arm straight out and dead-eye pointed at #2, the person who apparently did it.

There's a "funny" video going around that shows Sara over on the bench wildly flailing her arm, nearly hitting her teammates as she's telling them something. Everyone (incouding Rickea) seems to believe that's her reaction to Rickea's monster block, but I think she's over on the bench, still ticked, explaining how she got slapped.

We we all shocked nothing ever came of it.

P.S. The slap to Sara happened when we were on offense, on the end of the court in front of Tennessee's bench, and Franklin's bow happened on the other end. We were sitting six rows up behind Toledo's bench and saw if clearly, and my friend and I were INSTANTLY saying, "Well, bye-bye, Franklin!" It even shocked Franklin that she did it! She had a look of, "Oh, sh!t. I can't believe I just did that!" on her face. Everyone around us was shocked nothing came of it, because she absolutely clocked her, and it was absolutely on purpose. I didn't think Jasmine had that in her! 😲 I honestly don't think SHE thought she had it in her, either. 'Til she did! 🤣

The score was more than evened. Trust me.

Last edited:
I do remember Sara crouching down and doubled over like she'd just been clocked or punched in the stomach. If that's what led to Jaz's enforcement of discipline, it would make perfect sense. Jaz seemed bemused and like it was a stone-cold, planned payback for a past transgression rather than retaliation for something that had happened to her personally.

I do remember Sara crouching down and doubled over like she'd just been clocked or punched in the stomach. If that's what led to Jaz's enforcement of discipline, it would make perfect sense. Jaz seemed bemused and like it was a stone-cold, planned payback for a past transgression rather than retaliation for something that had happened to her personally.
The old brush back pitch…

One incident shouldn't cause you to hold off. Toledo was overmatched, but they maintained good sportswomanship with this single and pretty much futile exception. All it did was motivate the Lady Vols. Bad choice!

Reactions: lvocd
One incident shouldn't cause you to hold off. Toledo was overmatched, but they maintained good sportswomanship with this single and pretty much futile exception. All it did was motivate the Lady Vols. Bad choice!
I'm still pretty salty about an unprovoked slap in the face. Also, what are they going to say about the team that just dismantled them in every way possible except "they're really, really good"? Not holding it against them, in fact they're pretty much already forgotten. But not going out of my way to praise their behavior.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I'm still pretty salty about an unprovoked slap in the face. Also, what are they going to say about the team that just dismantled them in every way possible except "they're really, really good"? Not holding it against them, in fact they're pretty much already forgotten. But not going out of my way to praise their behavior.

Understood and I acknowledge that you certainly are entitled to your decision. My only point is that you are assuming the reported slap was "unprovoked." No one on this board (probably) has heard from either the slapper or the slappee about what preceded the confrontation or might have caused such an unusual event. I bet the slapper thought there was a reason to commit an irresponsible act that could have ended with her ejection. More importantly, it was one player's action not "their behavior."

I think Toledo played and acted before, during, and after the game with respect, grace and good sportsmanship - even if an unprovoked slap occurred in the heat of the stomping. We see a lot worse in regular season play from players and coaches, so a team like Toledo kind of stands out to me. I'm pretty sure it was devastating for a team with that much success to experience the frustration the Lady Vols heaped on them in their last game.

When in the game did this happen, link?

VN Store

Back