Today we should be watching the NCAA Tournament

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The first two days of the tournament have always been one of my favorite times of the year. I'm the type who's always pulling for "Cinderella" and watching to see which high seeds might fall.

The 2018 upset of No. 1 seed Virginia by UMBC was quite memorable. And a 20-point margin no less.

What are some of your most memorable Cinderella moments?

The majority of memories I have aren't good ones because I'm too vested with UT; it's hard for me to care about other games.

That being said, the OSU game in the sweet 16 was really fun with a great ending.

Least favorite: getting throttled by Louisville in the sweet-16 with at least a top-2 UT team of all time.

That small Florida school a few years back that boat raced people I think they made the E8 that year.

My least favorite is when Bruce was being fired and we lost like 100-10 to Michigan. Hated watching the players be totally uninterested in that game.

My favorite part is filling out the bracket, I love figuring out which 12 seed is going to win. I just love watching the early round games where 1-meets 16, there is always that one 12 seed that seems to win when they shouldn't.

Least favorite- Our insane streak of losing one possession or OT games to end our tournament runs.

Think it's like 5 tournaments in a row

Rewatched Chris Lofton's game winner vs Winthrop earlier. That was a close call. We were a #2 seed. I've always thought that the best two days of the year for sports fans are the Thursday and Friday of the first week of the NCAA Tournament. I always schedule these days off from work. This really sucks.

Rewatched Chris Lofton's game winner vs Winthrop earlier. That was a close call. We were a #2 seed. I've always thought that the best two days of the year for sports fans are the Thursday and Friday of the first week of the NCAA Tournament. I always schedule these days off from work. This really sucks.
I remember being at that tournament game like it was yesterday. Great atmosphere and obviously the shot by Lofton was magical. Losing the next one was disappointing but that was a really fun year. I have some great memories of that season with Freak Jr.

Best memories
-Absolute favorite moment was going to the Omni in Atlanta and watching ETSU whip the highly ranked Arizona Wildcats. The ETSU team was very good, but ran into the Fab Five from Michigan in the 2nd round.
-I've enjoyed going to the games that were in Knoxville(when we could still host the games). We got a preview of Kevin O'Neill just before he became our coach.
-Also in Knoxville in 1994. Glenn Robinson(Purdue) lit up Kansas for 44 points, while a guy name Cuonzo Martin chipped in with 29.
-One year in the NCAA in Knoxville, we got the see the Lethal Weapon 3 from Georgia Tech and LSU with Chris Jackson and Shaquille O'Neal.

Worst memories
-Driving back from Charlotte after Steve Alford's SW Missouri State team whacked us 81-51. 3 or our key starters(Tony Harris, CJ Black, Vincent Yarbrough) were a combined 4-24 from the field. As a team, we were under 30% from the field and ~20% 3-pt.

Speaking of ETSU, this year's cancellation is especially tough since the 30-win team of Steve Forbes was really special. They had the size to match up with good teams, and could have done some damage. There is a good chance he will be gone soon, if not in the coming weeks.

The Draymond Green / Michigan State game broke my heart lol.

I love the opening weekend too but if Tennessee isn't in the tournament, I don't watch as much. The Duke and Kansas losses recently, of course VA last season, watching Florida Gulf Coast (i think was the team?) Going on their run. Sooo many awesome tournament moments

Best memory by far:
Watching UMBC’s run in the AE tourney my senior year there. Went to the quarter-final and semi-final games (we hosted), watched us comeback and beat Vermont at the buzzer. Then, of course, making the trip to Charlotte and getting the chance to witness history. That team just couldn’t miss at all, and walking around downtown in our UMBC shirts after was amazing.

VN Store

Back