Today in Tennessee football history..........

October 10, 1931.......

Behind long runs from from Beattie Feathers and Deke Brackett, the Vols defeated Ole Miss 38-0. Feathers had 6 runs of over 60 yrds during the ‘31 season and would go on to a great NFL career. Brackett would become a Coach and was on the Ill-fated Marshall University plane crash that killed all on board.

Feathers & Brackett
656A8457-F93E-463A-B4F9-CD0CA25136D4.pngCC90F4CF-05B8-4238-B290-2DEC7720B2D5.png
B6C37DC0-E375-452E-8B5A-836C138FF957.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The number of guys playing without helmets of any kind...

Reactions: MAD
vols-helmet.jpg

I really like these.

I do wish that UT would go "Old School" with Uni's and Helmets on occasions.:cool:

I was of the impression that Pruitt pared it down to orange jerseys over white pants with black shoes at home and white jerseys over white pants with black shoes on the road. That's fairly "old school" in my reckoning.

I do wish that UT would go "Old School" with Uni's and Helmets on occasions.:cool:
Could you imagine if we trotted out on defense against Bama and only half our guys had on helmets with no pads - show 'em we are here for old school smash mouth football !!!

Could you imagine if we trotted out on defense against Bama and only half our guys had on helmets with no pads - show 'em we are here for old school smash mouth football !!!
They'd have a good laugh. Then, beat the crap out of us.

Tennessee-DL-Reggie-White.jpg

We miss you, Reggie.
Best defensive lineman to every lace em' up. Big, fast, strong, smart, and absolutely relentless. Mike Ditka said Reggie White was the only defensive player, he ever coached against, that could completely take away whatever side of the field he lined up on. You couldn't run at him. You couldn't roll out his direction. Oh, and you weren't going to be calling plays, that require a seven-step drop. There was no beating him. You could only be very aware of where he was lined up. Then Buddy would just move him, right before the snap.
Hall of Fame tackles feared this guy, and loved him, at the same time. Larry Wright said when he went into treatment, for drug abuse, Reggie White called him, and they prayed together, over the phone. Next day, Reggie came to visit him. A special special man, who held no malice, for anyone. But, you sure couldn't tell it, on the field. But, in all my years of watching this beast of a man, I never once witnessed him disrespect, or degrade a fellow player, on the field. He was the first to offer a hand up, and pat on the head or behind. Always encouraging, and living life with love. Every team he played for, he was loved, and he made them a better team, overall.
I miss Ol' #92. On and off the field. What an ambassador for The University of Tennessee, The NCAA, The NFL, and for all men.

Last edited:
Best defensive lineman to every lace em' up. Big, fast, strong, smart, and absolutely relentless. Mike Ditka said Reggie White was the only defensive player, he ever coached against, that could completely take away whatever side of the field he lined up on. You couldn't run at him. You couldn't roll out his direction. Oh, and you weren't going to be calling plays, that require a seven-step drop. There was no beating him. You could only be very aware of where he was lined up. Then Buddy would just move him, right before the snap.
Hall of Fame tackles feared this guy, and loved him, at the same time. Larry Wright said when he went into treatment, for drug abuse, Reggie White called him, and they prayed together, over the phone. Next day, Reggie came to visit him. A special special man, who held no malice, for anyone. But, you sure couldn't tell it, on the field. But, in all my years of watching this beast of a man, I never once witnessed him disrespect, or degrade a fellow player, on the field. He was the first to offer a hand up, and pat on the head or behind. Always encouraging, and living life with love. Every team he played for, he was loved, and he made them a better team, overall.
I miss Ol' #92. On and off the field. What an ambassador for The University of Tennessee, The NCAA, The NFL, and for all men.

My favorite Vol of all time. Thank you for the post.

October 11, 1980......

Tennessee traveled to Atlanta to play Ga. Tech. Still trying to find a QB, the Vols found ways to get the ball to their playmaker. Anthony Hancock caught 6 passes for 120 yrds and a 47 yrd TD from Steve Alatorre and Alan Duncan made two FGs, one a 55 yarder.
James Berry scored late to preserve a 23-10 victory.
Duncan
A461400F-EF9F-4E5F-97A9-F826306B3DA5.png
Hancock
AA651F10-45C7-41AF-8129-F289146BD3C7.png

On October 11th 1975 Tennessee defeated LSU 24-10 in Neyland Stadium. Tennessee finished the 1975 season with a 7-5 record while LSU finished the 1975 season with a 5-6 record.

10F3EBDD-60E2-4A37-BB82-81A908EEFE0E.png
My friend......Ernie Ward’s interception to set up Mike Gayles last TD vs LSU in 1975!

October 11, 1980......

Tennessee traveled to Atlanta to play Ga. Tech. Still trying to find a QB, the Vols found ways to get the ball to their playmaker. Anthony Hancock caught 6 passes for 120 yrds and a 47 yrd TD from Steve Alatorre and Alan Duncan made two FGs, one a 55 yarder.
James Berry scored late to preserve a 23-10 victory.
Duncan
View attachment 230569
Hancock
View attachment 230571
James Berry was an underrated Tennessee running back in my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf and MAD

sometimes the Vol defense plays like they have no helmet or pads

October 13, 1990......

The Vols hosted the #9 Gators. The first half was a defensive struggle with UT leading 7-3. Dale Carter received the second half kickoff and zigzagged his way 90 yrds for a touchdown, opening the floodgates. Tony Thompson ran for 103 yrds and a TD and Carl Pickens caught a 47 yrd touchdown from TE Von Reeves in the Vols 45-3 thumping of the Gators.
Dale Carter
D82AB007-B726-43D2-92BF-E78C0555B0CB.png
Mose knows what time it is.....
FF513753-59D6-43DA-99CF-356A71B6EFA2.png

October 13, 1990......

The Vols hosted the #9 Gators. The first half was a defensive struggle with UT leading 7-3. Dale Carter received the second half kickoff and zigzagged his way 90 yrds for a touchdown, opening the floodgates. Tony Thompson ran for 103 yrds and a TD and Carl Pickens caught a 47 yrd touchdown from TE Von Reeves in the Vols 45-3 thumping of the Gators.
Dale Carter
View attachment 231026
View attachment 231027
They ran that von reeves play at the o&w game that spring. Awesome game. To be 13 again. What a time

October 13, 1990......

Dale Carter
View attachment 231026
View attachment 231027
Spurrier' first trip to Neyland as Florida HC. That chip on his shoulder became granite.

October 14, 1944.......

After not fielding a team in ‘43 due to WWII, the Vols started the ‘44 season 2-0 when the Gators visited Knoxville. Buster Stephens scored two long touchdowns (74 and 75 yrds) and Jack Redding returned an interception 40 yards for a TD in the Vols 40-0 victory. The ‘44 Vols would go on to an undefeated regular season, but lose to USC in the Rose Bowl.
CDD98EE0-2523-4F52-A36A-38C6B926C7B1.png
Buster Stephens
1925AB8D-90AA-423A-BBBF-A57F6A167889.png

VN Store

Back