Today in Tennessee basketball history......

kbear01

A realist and a VFL
1979-80 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Check out that schedule. 2 SEC games in December. St. John's, Ohio State, Indiana, Louisville.

Young Sam Bowie in the pic (NBA draft pick ahead of Michael Jordan). Howard Wood (far left), Gary Carter, and maybe Steve Ray. Fred Cowan (can't tell for sure if it's #40). Looks like Bertelkamp behind Carter. Steve Ray could also be Big Sexy, the feather haircut matches, but I think that's Ray's face.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ukathletics.com/documents/2017/8/10/56269d62e4b0b90189290248.pdf

BTW, ^^^ FSU HC Leonard Hamilton, Chris Gettlefinger (Catholic HS '77), Derrick Hord (TN High-Bristol '79).
I think that was Dan Federman?

Last edited:

ZZ13

Saturn V
March 5, 1977. Stokely Athletic Center. Tennessee 81, Kentucky 79. Ernie and Bernie beat the Twin Towers, Robey and Phillips. Tons of media there. Tennessee and Kentucky tied for the conference at 16-2 but Tennessee got the auto NCAA bid by beating UK twice that year. So much fun to be at the game as a student. Had to camp out overnight in 4 degree weather to get two student tickets. Still my favorite single sporting event I've attended. Place was electric.

This is all I could find online. Check out Bernard King's stat line. He and Grunfeld never came out of the game.
Kentucky at Tennessee (March 5, 1977)

March 5, 1977. Stokely Athletic Center. Tennessee 81, Kentucky 79. Ernie and Bernie beat the Twin Towers, Robey and Phillips. Tons of media there. Tennessee and Kentucky tied for the conference at 16-2 but Tennessee got the auto NCAA bid by beating UK twice that year. So much fun to be at the game as a student. Had to camp out overnight in 4 degree weather to get two student tickets. Still my favorite single sporting event I've attended. Place was electric.

This is all I could find online. Check out Bernard King's stat line. He and Grunfeld never came out of the game.
Kentucky has excellent records of their history. But I'm not sure about the middle pic saying it's Bernard and Mike Jackson. I think it's Chuck Threeths and Bernard, but I'm not certain. Possibly Reggie, but I'm guessing Threeths.

1976-77 Tennessee Volunteers Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Clicking on Bernard King's name shows that he only lost his first game against them.

Clicking on Bernard King's name shows that he only lost his first game against them.
Bernard lost his first game at Kentucky. A KY fan flipped a lit cigarette into Bernard's Afro at that game. Afterwards Bernard said that he would never lose to Kentucky again. He was correct. Bernard King is a legend. 3x SEC Player if the Year. Only Pistol Pete can also say that. Bernard did it as a freshman, sophomore, and junior. He went to the NBA instead of playing his senior year. Maravich won POY as a sophomore, junior, and senior. Freshmen were not eligible for varsity during Pistol's freshman year. I think that LSU's freshman team with Maravich drew a higher attendance that year than the varsity.

VN Store

Sponsors