To Blitz or Not to Blitz

Being at the game, I didn't see much blitz. Always 4 going after QB.
It would be interesting to see the time frame in the game where the 16 downs that we blitzed were and what down it was, I know late in the game after Beasley sacked Rattler they had 3rd and 20 something and it was four down lineman and he had a month to throw and they converted, plays like that are back breakers, to me that is the ideal time to bring pressure.

That's what it looked like here at home on tv also. Plenty of time to sit back and throw. If they needed 12 yards they got 13. If they needed 26 they got 27. It was hard to watch. Not sure how thier gonna fix it either. Recruiting but that will take a minute and transfer portal.
No one disputes that we didn't get much pressure, that is not to say that we didn't blitz. We brought extra guys a lot, 43% of the time if SEC Now is to be believed and I don't know why they would lie about it, it just got picked up most of the time.

Last edited:
No one disputes that we didn't get much pressure, that is not to say that we didn't blitz. We brought extra guys a lot, 40% of the time if SEC Now is to be believed and I don't know why they would lie about it, it just got picked up most of the time.
Not doubting it just thought we brought way more heat against Bama. That was really noticeable. Can't imagine carolina has a better offensive front 🤷

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
More often than not, I agree with you. But receivers are getting that cushion every play, if it can't be fixed, might as well blitz. If at some point you can get to the QB, pound his backside in the ground a couple of times, making him nervous might very well get him off his mark.
If you play 30 minutes and can't cover the pass, might as well try something new...BLITZ! We made SC QB look like a flipping Heisman watch candidate. Sorry....I'm still pissed.
It can be fixed. It is a risk/reward decision. You press at the LOS and hope you can hold coverage until the blitz gets home. You can also put more guys in coverage and hope that the down 4 can get home. What makes literally no sense is blitzing and giving the QB an automatic throw for 5-10 yds.j

I actually agree UT needs to take the risks. They need to get up in the faces of receivers, jam them at the LOS, bring the heat, and take their chances that the QB can hit a re-routed receiver under intense pressure.

Not doubting it just thought we brought way more heat against Bama. That was really noticeable. Can't imagine carolina has a better offensive front 🤷
It's not always talent, I lean towards it being mostly effort/execution in this case. South Carolina was really dialed in and we weren't. They got up and the crowd got behind them and they rode that wave to victory. We are not yet to the point as a program where we can bring our C game in the SEC and win.

Last edited:
It's not always talent, I lean towards it being mostly effort/execution in this case. South Carolina was really dialed in and we weren't. They got up and the crowd got behind them and they road that wave to victory. We are not yet to the point as a program where we can bring our C game in the SEC and win.
I'm just completely baffled. I have been all week. Walking around in public still shacking my head to myself. While people think I have mental problems 🤣

I know what you are saying. But the whole point is that they DID in fact get a touchdown every time (with one exception). So is them scoring a TD when we blitzed worth more than a non blitz TD? Because we got the same results either way.
Giving up explosive plays on defense is the worst outcome, if you don't think you can stop a team whether you blitz or not, one philosophy on defense is to keep everything in front of you and make the other team drive the field and hope they will stop themselves (as all offenses are inclined to do from time to time, via penalties, drops, fumbles, missed blocks, etc.), the theory being if you can make a team execute 10 plays correctly instead of 1 there is alot more opportunity for them to screw up. Also, the idea is that when they get in the red zone because the field compresses there and there isn't as much room to maneuver, that area (the red zone) is where you are most likely to be able to hold. We did that some Saturday too, tried to keep them in front of us and make them drive the field, they were able to execute the long drives too though, like I said they were dialed in execution wise. I'm as repulsed as anybody about giving up 63 points. I grew up on defensive football, but we did try different strategies Saturday, it's just we didn't have success with really anything on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Giving up explosive plays on defense is the worst outcome, if you don't think you can stop a team whether you blitz or not, one philosophy on defense is to keep everything in front of you and make the other team drive the field and hope they will stop themselves (as all offenses are inclined to do from time to time, via penalties, drops, fumbles, missed blocks, etc.), the theory being if you can make a team execute 10 plays correctly instead of 1 there is alot more opportunity for them to screw up. Also, the idea is that when they get in the red zone because the field compresses there and there isn't as much room to maneuver, that area (the red zone) is where you are most likely to be able to hold. We did that some Saturday too, tried to keep them in front of us and make them drive the field, they did that too, like I said they were dialed in execution wise. I'm as repulsed as anybody about giving up 63 points. I grew up on defensive football, but we did try different strategies Saturday, it's just we didn't have success with really anything on that side of the ball.

👏👏👏.......and before sc, statistically, we were #21 in the country in RED ZONE DEFENSE. Only giving up 22ppg I believe.

I like the idea, have a fox chase the QB all the time. blitz or no blitz. (It's called a spy, WoodsmanVol!) And keep after him even after he passes or down further downfield or after a TD, even if just to touch him, and say, Tag! you're it! Every freaking time. As Michael Buffer would say, Let's get ready to Rommel!

One of the common fallacies of the casual fan is to equate "blitzing" with pressure, and when we don't get pressure, to draw the conclusion that we did not blitz, or didn't blitz enough. It's hard to tell on TV when you can't see all 22 players on the field exactly what happens or what the plan was on every play, but my initial impression the other night was that we had blitzed quite a bit, we just didn't get home much or have much success moving the QB off his spot when we did blitz. I was watching SEC Now this morning and got the stats to back that up.

View attachment 517124

It appears from this chart that we blitzed on 27 of 67 passing snaps, that's 40.2%. That's quite a bit of blitzing. The bottom line was, it wasn't effective. We got torched whether we blitzed or we didn't, so I think Banks is getting some undue criticism for not changing things up. One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results, and he didn't do that, he tried to mix it up, it just didn't matter. Now this can be alot of things and a combination of alot of things, sometimes talent is the issue, and I might could buy that if this was the result against UGA or Bama or someone, but against South Carolina, our talent level was fairly even (at least per the 247 talent composite). I haven't broken the film down and I welcome any input from those who have but this is more than likely mostly an execution issue. Now I don't let Banks completely off the hook either, 63 points is unacceptable to anybody, perhaps his blitz packages were too predictable but I suspect alot of this was what Beasley eluded to, on defense at least, we just thought we were going to roll over these guys and South Carolina wasn't inclined to cooperate.
There is a difference in competition percentage: 69% with blitz vs 90% without blitz. Yards per completion 18 with blitz vs 11.3 yards with out the blitz. Neither are executable, but I think we have a better chance of getting an Int with a blitz than without one. I would blitz more with those stats because the receivers appeared to be more open without the blitz and the QB had all day to pick out the open receivers.

Last edited:
If you blitz every time, it'll be a screen or a draw or a quick slant every time and a touchdown every time.
This sentence loses all sensibility when, in fact, a team has actually scored a touchdown every time. They really did score 9 touchdowns. That was not a nightmare.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
This sentence loses all sensibility when, in fact, a team has actually scored a touchdown every time. They really did score 9 touchdowns. That was not a nightmare.
Not really because 9 touchdowns on 9 plays is worse than 9 touchdowns on 90. Percentage wise an offense is a hell of a lot more likely to screw up when they have to execute 90 snaps than 9. It's also harder to score in the red zone where the field is compressed than in the open field. You've got to tip your cap to South Carolina's execution and deplore our lack of execution more than erroneously just think we didn't try different strategies on defense. We attempted to mix it up, nothing worked. You blitz every play, you are going to get screens, draws and quick slants for 50-90 yard touchdowns, lot's of one play or two play TD drives. You can't blitz every play, just like a pitcher in MLB can't just throw one pitch. I'm an advocate of aggressive defense, but a 43% blitz rate is pretty aggressive. Alot of people seem to be under the impression that we didn't blitz Saturday, we did ALOT, we just didn't get much pressure.

Last edited:
My assessment is Rat got ball first and hit a few passes. Confidence went up. We blitzed next series but with 10 yard cushion he just side stepped when needed and hit receiver under the 10 yard cushion. It was there all nite. Bad thing think the D planwas let them have under stuff we tackle them and they’ll turn ball over or penalties to stop drives. We gave cushion and missed tackle for 20 yard gains drives weren’t that long. RAT gets more confidence than ever, he even said after game he’d never been in a zone like that as a QB. Think about it he didn’t miss a receiver all nite his inco’s where throw aways. If you blitz you can’t give him 2 or 3 wide open receivers it was like he had a built in safety valve. The good thing is Vandy QB sometimes just misses receivers for no reason. That may be our best pass D this week just hope he’s off 50% of time.

We didn't get pressure because he had wide open receivers on 5yrd routes. Even blitzing won't get to a QB getting the ball out of his hands in 2-3 seconds. If your going to blitz you have to pressure the receivers and take away the outlet passes.
This. I almost started a thread mentioning this cause everybody is saying we couldn't get pressure or wasn't blitzing. I saw I can't remember how many of rattlers passes coming out when his back foot hit on a three step drop from out of the shotgun. So he's 7 yards behind the LOS 2 seconds after the snap and the ball is coming out. Von Miller couldn't get there that fast. It looked like to me USCe game planned expecting us to blitz alot ( because we do) and had short and intermediate routes timed well to come out of their break when the ball was well on its way-and very accurate. We would have had to play tight man very well to defend to allow the past rush, and we didn't. Even when we had good coverage Rattler put a perfect placed ball to his guy. Give them credit for great execution. We had no answer.

Reactions: hog88
unfrozencvmanVol (I'm guessing the name NeanderVol was already taken), thank you. You are doing the Lord's work.
Keep bringing facts and logic. Even when you don't see conversions, or lightbulbs turn on, you're having a cumulative effect.

Better informed fans are emotionally healthier fans, freed from riding emotional rollercoasters every Saturday. Live long and prosper, VolNation!

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
One of the common fallacies of the casual fan is to equate "blitzing" with pressure, and when we don't get pressure, to draw the conclusion that we did not blitz, or didn't blitz enough. It's hard to tell on TV when you can't see all 22 players on the field exactly what happens or what the plan was on every play, but my initial impression the other night was that we had blitzed quite a bit, we just didn't get home much or have much success moving the QB off his spot when we did blitz. I was watching SEC Now this morning and got the stats to back that up.

View attachment 517124

It appears from this chart that we blitzed on 27 of 67 passing snaps, that's 40.2%. That's quite a bit of blitzing. The bottom line was, it wasn't effective. We got torched whether we blitzed or we didn't, so I think Banks is getting some undue criticism for not changing things up. One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results, and he didn't do that, he tried to mix it up, it just didn't matter. Now this can be alot of things and a combination of alot of things, sometimes talent is the issue, and I might could buy that if this was the result against UGA or Bama or someone, but against South Carolina, our talent level was fairly even (at least per the 247 talent composite). I haven't broken the film down and I welcome any input from those who have but this is more than likely mostly an execution issue. Now I don't let Banks completely off the hook either, 63 points is unacceptable to anybody, perhaps his blitz packages were too predictable but I suspect alot of this was what Beasley eluded to, on defense at least, we just thought we were going to roll over these guys and South Carolina wasn't inclined to cooperate.
And 90% of them were zone blitzes. Need to play more cover 1/0

Reactions: EZE
You can't blitz and still give 10 yard cushions to the receivers. That gives a decent QB outlet options and it burned us all night.

This all day long. We blitzed and then had corners 10+ yards deep on the outside and safeties at 20-25+ in the middle. Well, guess what, when you blitz a LB with that cushion, the middle of the field is WIDE open. See the 3rd and 20 pass as an example. Easy throws for the QB with even a limited amount of time.

Blitzing requires shorter release times, so we shoulda at least tried bringing the back end of the defense closer to the LOS when we blitzed. We mighta given up a long one, but we were getting torched underneath and we shoulda at least tried the adjustment IMO.

Bottom line is that our defensive schemes were laughable in that game.

And 90% of them were zone blitzes. Need to play more cover 1/0
Have you seen alot from our secondary to make you think they can handle that? I'm not sure I have. Our staff probably figures that's going to be alot of 1-2 play TD drives too. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think we were more outplayed on defense than out-coached. I don't think there was a magic schematic bullet Saturday that could make up for how bad we got out played.

We didn't get pressure because he had wide open receivers on 5yrd routes. Even blitzing won't get to a QB getting the ball out of his hands in 2-3 seconds. If your going to blitz you have to pressure the receivers and take away the outlet passes.

Exactly and we missed tackles all night. Instead of 2nd & 5 it was 20 yard gains all night. The D plan was to make long drives & wait on penalties & turnovers but they had quick drives no turnovers & wevhad penalties that helped them. Total fubar.

Not really because 9 touchdowns on 9 plays is worse than 9 touchdowns on 90. Percentage wise an offense is a hell of a lot more likely to screw up when they have to execute 90 snaps than 9. It's also harder to score in the red zone where the field is compressed than in the open field. You've got to tip your cap to South Carolina's execution and deplore our lack of execution more than erroneously just think we didn't try different strategies on defense. We attempted to mix it up, nothing worked. You blitz every play, you are going to get screens, draws and quick slants for 50-90 yard touchdowns, lot's of one play or two play TD drives. You can't blitz every play, just like a pitcher in MLB can't just throw one pitch. I'm an advocate of aggressive defense, but a 40% blitz rate is pretty aggressive. Alot of people seem to be under the impression that we didn't blitz Saturday, we did ALOT, we just didn't get much pressure.

👏👏👏

Face it, we've got a bad defense with mediocre talent. Since that's true, I'd rather us attack a hot quarterback more than the 40% and if that means they get quick touchdowns 2 of 3 possessions rather than touchdowns on 90% of long drives then that would at least rest our defense more. I say attack them 2/3 of the downs if that's what it takes. Not sure about Vandy, however. If they aren't good at throwing it, not that many.

VN Store

Back