To all the Milton haters or even those concerned

Ok, so you don’t. Manziel is an outlier, which the stats also support. No one has claimed Hooker is a Manziel. Statistically speaking he’s very close to Dobbs. Check it out.

I hope you aren’t making claims about Milton being so great, that the head coach was justified in shutting down competition and not even preparing a series with one of the other Qbs (because that is what happened).

The stats support everything I’ve stated and now you’re just being bottom hurt. This is the part where you try to shift the argument away from the actual stats and try to make it about getting your feelings hurt instead, right?
Fair enough. So, should there be an ongoing competition, yes or no??

pretty quick change of tune you had there. Quite honestly, you are the one all butthurt just because I said hooker only slightly upgrades the running quality from the QB position.

imagine arguing with someone who mostly agrees with you, just for the sake of arguing and being an ass on the internet. Congrats and cheers to you!

and yes, all positions(QB included) should continually be evaluated and adjustments made as necessary

pretty quick change of tune you had there. Quite honestly, you are the one all butthurt just because I said hooker only slightly upgrades the running quality from the QB position.

imagine arguing with someone who mostly agrees with you, just for the sake of arguing and being an ass on the internet. Congrats and cheers to you!

and yes, all positions(QB included) should continually be evaluated and adjustments made as necessary
You have a good day now, ya hear!

Fair enough. So, should there be an ongoing competition, yes or no??
Yes and no. Your QB should never be so safe that you won't replace him if he flops like JG did consistently. OTOH, he can't be looking over his shoulder constantly like Dormady either.

The competition as in splitting reps equally in practice are over for now. The only way that starts up again is if Milton continues to play like he did vs BGSU.

Reactions: tbh and knoxville7
Yes and no. Your QB should never be so safe that you won't replace him if he flops like JG did consistently. OTOH, he can't be looking over his shoulder constantly like Dormady either.

The competition as in splitting reps equally in practice are over for now. The only way that starts up again is if Milton continues to play like he did vs BGSU.

Spurrier says…..hold my beer.

Reactions: VolRage
Really? Where from?

I know he had an incident during a Clemson game but that's the only thing I've ever heard of.
Nothing solid, but yes that game and there was talk on numerous forums about other “possible” issues that predated this game.

Well, here is to hoping he doesn’t. If it wasn’t for the way he lost the job at Michigan I wouldn’t be as skeptical.

I hope some of these thread starters aren't lawyers. Doubt they'd win much with the material they bring here to the high court council of that of VOL NATION!

Reactions: GoBears
after only one game. Here’s some statistics for you to consider:

Tee Martin’s first start versus Syracuse in 1998

9/26 for 143 yards

Peyton Manning’s first start versus Washington State

7-14 for 79 yards.

At 1:29:05 in the video below, you can see Manning overthrow a deep pass, which is the same sin you are already giving up on Joe Milton III over.

I say all this not to suggest that Milton is the next Tee Martin or Peyton Manning but instead merely to suggest that the overreaction to a couple of overthrows by some in our fan base is a bit premature.

Good grief

Fail? I want a genuine competitive environment. If Milton were a 3rd year returning player with incontrovertible stats, sure, but that isn’t the case at all. Do you think one of the other QBs should have gotten a meaningful series in the first game or be completely blocked out like we saw?

Whether you want to believe it or not, there was a genuine competitive environment. Why do you think Maurer left? He wasn't as good a those ahead of him. If we had Lawrence, Taj Boyd, Ian Book or Coan from ND do you think they would've started over our current guys? Oh course, so Heupel is playing the best he got. We may not think Multinational deserves the QB1 job, but he earned it. What does it look like yanking your starter who earned the position by the way, in his 1st start. That doesn't say much about your confidence in your starter. You build up players not tear down. Also, you have to look at who the players are comfortable with also. They know who the starter is and should be. But, they'll support whoever is called to lead the team.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there was a genuine competitive environment. Why do you think Maurer left? He wasn't as good a those ahead of him. If we had Lawrence, Taj Boyd, Ian Book or Coan from ND do you think they would've started over our current guys? Oh course, so Heupel is playing the best he got. We may not think Multinational deserves the QB1 job, but he earned it. What does it look like yanking your starter who earned the position by the way, in his 1st start. That doesn't say much about your confidence in your starter. You build up players not tear down. Also, you have to look at who the players are comfortable with also. They know who the starter is and should be. But, they'll support whoever is called to lead the team.
Earned? You’re assuming Heupel is just an unbiased, best man win, kind of guy. Was Pruitt? Maybe CJH is, I don’t know. What I do know is Milton is the ONLY QB he recruited on this roster.

Brother, I'm not so much sold on any single player or coach as I am sold on our team. If Joe is our starting QB, I'm sold on him. If HB is, I'm sold on him. Same for Hendon. Whoever starts, I'm behind them 100%. Same for our coaches: as long as they're wearing orange and white and doing their best for our lads, I'm 100% for them.

I just think of that as being a fan. I know it seems pretty uncommon an approach these days, but I honestly think it used to be the norm to think that way about your team.

Go Vols!

I 100% agree but did you have the same thoughts with Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt? I know I did and I felt like the jilted bride left at the altar shunned by the groom. I guess I'm suffering from battered vol syndrome. I'm more skeptical now and that's on me and no one else. But i'm not going into this season with blinders. I'll take it game by game and I hope I'm wrong about Milton and CJH but tomorrow will tell us a lot. JMHO

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I 100% agree but did you have the same thoughts with Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt? I know I did and I felt like the jilted bride left at the altar shunned by the groom. I guess I'm suffering from battered vol syndrome. I'm more skeptical now and that's on me and no one else. But i'm not going into this season with blinders. I'll take it game by game and I hope I'm wrong about Milton and CJH but tomorrow will tell us a lot. JMHO
I did have the same feelings about all our previous coaches. Occupational hazard, I guess. :)

Reactions: VolunteerNut
Earned? You’re assuming Heupel is just an unbiased, best man win, kind of guy. Was Pruitt? Maybe CJH is, I don’t know. What I do know is Milton is the ONLY QB he recruited on this roster.

See your tainted by the past, and our bad run of unqualified coaches. Heupel is a coach and has won. The others not so much. Don't let how Pruitt coached cloud you judgement when Heupel makes a decision you don't approve of. He's doing everything he can not to repeat what the other coaches did. These players actually like to play for him and look forward to practice everyday.

Here's the simple math for the Joe Milton haters:

(a) Josh Heupel probably knows QBs, and how to pick the best of the options available, only like 10,000 times better than you (or me).
(b) Since he does, his pick is undoubtedly our beloved Vols' best chance at success.
(c) That doesn't imply Joe Milton is flawless. It doesn't imply he is Peytonesque. It only says he's our best shot.
(d) He's a college player wearing orange and white. We should support all players who wear orange and white. Even if we feel the need to criticize elements of their game, we still ought to be supporting them as OUR lads.
(e) Because we're all Vols fans. Right? Right? (I know you trolls are being really quiet about that one, shame on you).
(f) So we all want to win, Josh Heupel and all our players included, and Joe Milton gives us the best shot at that, based on the expert judgment of a national-title winning QB and now head coach.
(g) So no matter what happens next, we can only go into it hoping for the best, and supporting our lads.

It is no more complicated than that.

Do you have the right to bitch and moan and whine? Sure. You have the right. You look really stupid and childish doing it, given all the above, but you have the right.

Are you gonna get credit for having "called it" if we lose? No. Everyone is still gonna think you're a miserable sack of goat excrement, just for being negative about our lads.

So the logical approach, the most viable approach, is to support our coaching staff, support our lads (all of them), and hope for the best.

Try that.

Go Vols!

CF7F312D-F04D-4387-BE93-93F1B34E9ECF.gif

I did have the same feelings about all our previous coaches. Occupational hazard, I guess. :)

You JP, I enjoy your posts as I think you are one of the best posters on the board but have to say I'm personally tired of fly by coaches, I pulled for all of them only to be left holding the proverbial bag. I'm not taking this approach with CJH, Can't my heart isn't in it. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of being a bottom feeder when we were the cream of the crop. I know you feel the same but I'm tired of being a laughing stock of college football. Something has to change and while I hope CJH is it I'm not holding my breath. I'm 57 years old and I doubt I'll eve see UT back where they belong and that is the top of the SEC.

One of the joy's in my life was watching my son play college football. It completed me because he followed in my shoes and was so much better than I ever was. The kid gave it up his Sr season because of covid which they would only play 2 games. I agreed with him and he told me, dad, Ive got two championship rings, I've done all I could but I'm done. His body was beaten and broken and I know that but he had a never say quit attitude. I guess I expect that in all players. I just hope the players we run out on the field have the same mentality. I hope for the best but expect the worse god forbid. Sorry JP

See your tainted by the past, and our bad run of unqualified coaches. Heupel is a coach and has won. The others not so much. Don't let how Pruitt coached cloud you judgement when Heupel makes a decision you don't approve of. He's doing everything he can not to repeat what the other coaches did. These players actually like to play for him and look forward to practice everyday.
I get what your trying to say but Butch won elsewhere also. Players liked him to for a while. And yes his coaching decisions will dictate wins therefore here we are. I do agree it is early, blind faith is not a luxury I will afford going forward. Did it with Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and finally Pruitt. Kiffin was fun and knows offense. Jones won a few games some big games. Georgia, Florida, SC. The other two didn't do anything but dig deeper fkn holes to climb out of. So while I do like JH and I think he can be successful... SHOW ME you can win games that matter. Good coaches do more with less. Find a way to get eligible for a bowl game. Find a qb cause the one your using, nobody thinks to highly of. Prove yourself and this is ultimately why they are paid what they are paid.

You JP, I enjoy your posts as I think you are one of the best posters on the board but have to say I'm personally tired of fly by coaches, I pulled for all of them only to be left holding the proverbial bag. I'm not taking this approach with CJH, Can't my heart isn't in it. Quite frankly I'm sick and tired of being a bottom feeder when we were the cream of the crop. I know you feel the same but I'm tired of being a laughing stock of college football. Something has to change and while I hope CJH is it I'm not holding my breath. I'm 57 years old and I doubt I'll eve see UT back where they belong and that is the top of the SEC.

One of the joy's in my life was watching my son play college football. It completed me because he followed in my shoes and was so much better than I ever was. The kid gave it up his Sr season because of covid which they would only play 2 games. I agreed with him and he told me, dad, Ive got two championship rings, I've done all I could but I'm done. His body was beaten and broken and I know that but he had a never say quit attitude. I guess I expect that in all players. I just hope the players we run out on the field have the same mentality. I hope for the best but expect the worse god forbid. Sorry JP
It's okay, brother. You gotta go with what you feel.

I don't have any magical prescription for keeping the faith even after getting kicked in the teeth time and time again. I get the frustration. We have lived through exactly the same football seasons over the past 13 years, and felt the same deep disappointments.

I just pick myself up and start hoping again. Heh. Glutton for punishment, I guess. I'll give all my support to the coaches and lads who give their all as Volunteers.

You miss the point….. this is not Milton vs JG. It’s Milton vs Hooker or B Harrison. Watching UCF the past few years, their offense was predicated on a passing type QB that made quick decisions and short throws. After a single game against a much lesser opponent, it is apparent that Milton’s skill set is not optimal for this offense. I’m sure Hooker and BH would provide other strengths and weaknesses in this system. Regardless, this offense sinks or swims based on the QB play…..and the opponents are going to get much better soon.
Yes, good post. I don’t know if he wanted to go for the deep ball every throw, if he just takes that long to read his progressions, if he was confused by the super dime, or what. Maybe he was just trying to play backyard ball and have fun against a far inferior opponent. Whatever though, the amount of time he stood in the pocket was insane, and I’m sure the OLine hates him.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
200.gif

VN Store

Back