To all the Milton haters or even those concerned

go re read my post…I said he upgrades it, but not that much. Miltons ability to run the ball isn’t the issue. So unless hooker is a vastly better deep ball thrower, then he isn’t going to change the ability of this offense much. That’s the point

also, hooker runs a 4.67 forty
milton runs a 4.8 forty

so like I said, hooker doesn’t upgrade the running ability THAT much

Actually Milton runs sub-4.7

Is The Joe Milton Hype Warranted?

Here's the simple math for the Joe Milton haters:

(a) Josh Heupel probably knows QBs, and how to pick the best of the options available, only like 10,000 times better than you (or me).
(b) Since he does, his pick is undoubtedly our beloved Vols' best chance at success.
(c) That doesn't imply Joe Milton is flawless. It doesn't imply he is Peytonesque. It only says he's our best shot.
(d) He's a college player wearing orange and white. We should support all players who wear orange and white. Even if we feel the need to criticize elements of their game, we still ought to be supporting them as OUR lads.
(e) Because we're all Vols fans. Right? Right? (I know you trolls are being really quiet about that one, shame on you).
(f) So we all want to win, Josh Heupel and all our players included, and Joe Milton gives us the best shot at that, based on the expert judgment of a national-title winning QB and now head coach.
(g) So no matter what happens next, we can only go into it hoping for the best, and supporting our lads.

It is no more complicated than that.

Do you have the right to bitch and moan and whine? Sure. You have the right. You look really stupid and childish doing it, given all the above, but you have the right.

Are you gonna get credit for having "called it" if we lose? No. Everyone is still gonna think you're a miserable sack of goat excrement, just for being negative about our lads.

So the logical approach, the most viable approach, is to support our coaching staff, support our lads (all of them), and hope for the best.

Try that.

Go Vols!
The answer is always C.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Look at Dobbs 40. You’re completely missing this. Hooker is a 1000 yard rusher and nearly 3k yard passer before he ever put on a UT uniform. All of Hookers issues were between his ears which a QB whisperer should work wonders with. Milton can’t read defenses.

I wouldn’t lump Milton in with that bunch. He has a LONG LONG ways to go to be mentioned in the same breath as those guys. We’ll see. Heupel thinks he’s the guy and I’ll hope that he is until it’s obvious he ain’t but so far…….he’s produced like a guy that can boot the ball 80 yards but can’t get close to the goal post. And his running……built like Tarzan but runs like Jane.
I don't know if Milton is the answer, and yes, he runs like he is terrified to take a hit. But, I also don't know that he's not the answer after one game. I do know this. In 2019, Dillon Gabriel didn't begin the season as the starter. If Milton doesn't get it done, we won't be watching him trot out there for the whole season. I also went online and watched every UCF game from 2019 and 2020. Dillon Gabriel had a couple performances, that from an appearance standpoint, looked just as bad as what we saw Thursday. He was never pulled. I'll trust the coaches until I see evidence that they are incompetent like cornbread. So far, there is no evidence to support that opinion.

go re read my post…I said he upgrades it, but not that much. Miltons ability to run the ball isn’t the issue. So unless hooker is a vastly better deep ball thrower, then he isn’t going to change the ability of this offense much. That’s the point

also, hooker runs a 4.67 forty
milton runs a 4.8 forty

so like I said, hooker doesn’t upgrade the running ability THAT much
Go watch Hooker highlights from VT and Milton highlights. I'm not anti anyone.... but Hooker is a much better, more natural runner both in designed plays and a broken field.

I don't know if Milton is the answer, and yes, he runs like he is terrified to take a hit. But, I also don't know that he's not the answer after one game. I do know this. In 2019, Dillon Gabriel didn't begin the season as the starter. If Milton doesn't get it done, we won't be watching him trot out there for the whole season. I also went online and watched every UCF game from 2019 and 2020. Dillon Gabriel had a couple performances, that from an appearance standpoint, looked just as bad as what we saw Thursday. He was never pulled. I'll trust the coaches until I see evidence that they are incompetent like cornbread. So far, there is no evidence to support that opinion.
I dont either, but I’m pretty damn sure based on what we’ve seen that the QB competition should be ended, and Milton handed the reigns without consequence.

Look at Dobbs 40. You’re completely missing this. Hooker is a 1000 yard rusher and nearly 3k yard passer before he ever put on a UT uniform. All of Hookers issues were between his ears which a QB whisperer should work wonders with. Milton can’t read defenses.
What were the issues between Hooker's ears? In two seasons he was around a 64% passer with 22 TD's and 7 picks. He added almost 1000 yds rushing over two seasons with an avg ypc at around 4 (including sacks) and 14 more TD's. VT scored more than 30 ppg in both seasons he started games. Unfortunately their D allowed 32 last year and about 26 the year before.

I have no problem with Heupel or his process. But if Milton doesn't work out, Hooker is a very good option.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Time will tell. That's all anyone can really say at this point. We all have different views etc. Opinions vary. I will say this if Milton ever does put it all together, he could be exciting to watch. Do we have that luxury of waiting for everything to click ? I don't know that depends on Heupel. I think most all of us want to win, that said there are several that will never be happy. I have been as negative as anyone about JM, he does have some things to like though. I guess we are gonna find out if he can. If not I think Heupel will turn to someone else. Go Vols lets get this win.

Reactions: VolRage and sjt18
after only one game. Here’s some statistics for you to consider:

Tee Martin’s first start versus Syracuse in 1998

9/26 for 143 yards

Peyton Manning’s first start versus Washington State

7-14 for 79 yards.

At 1:29:05 in the video below, you can see Manning overthrow a deep pass, which is the same sin you are already giving up on Joe Milton III over.

I say all this not to suggest that Milton is the next Tee Martin or Peyton Manning but instead merely to suggest that the overreaction to a couple of overthrows by some in our fan base is a bit premature.

Aside from the poor comparisons, what is really wrong with this take is the way it is framed in the title. I doubt there are too many true Milton haters.

In a poll here in this forum the “bench him yesterday” option was in the single digits as a percentage of total responses. The majority had concerns about what they saw on the field against mighty BG.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having an honest discussion about his performance-to-date and concerns going forward. It’s not a binary thing: in / out of the Milton camp, Milton lover / hater.

Reactions: BeardedVol
JP, I get what you're saying and I understand and maybe I'm missing something but CJH isn't the end all be all of quarterback guru's. I hate to say this but it seems you are sold on the kid and I'm not. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the season but as mentioned I've played against some very good quarterbacks in college and when I watch a game I think as a DB and Milton just doesn't have it. Let me ask you this JP. If he was all world and the best thing since sliced bread why did he transfer? Because he wasn't going to play same for Hooker at VT, so we take a kid CJH recruited at UCF and give him the starting nod at UT? I don't think there ever was a QB competition for the job. Just like there was only one coach White wanted to coach at UT.

I enjoy your posts and your one of the best posters on this board but we differ on this issue. Competent and good QB's don't transfer unless they aren't played and there was a reason he wasn't played. We saw on Thursday night and will see so again Saturday at noon and I hope I'm wrong but my faith level of this kid leading us here on out is nill as of now. No disrespect because I value your opinion but we differ here. As coach Fulmer said watch the tape..... the proof is in the pudding sir. I don't hate the Kid at all just think he's not our best option.
Brother, I'm not so much sold on any single player or coach as I am sold on our team. If Joe is our starting QB, I'm sold on him. If HB is, I'm sold on him. Same for Hendon. Whoever starts, I'm behind them 100%. Same for our coaches: as long as they're wearing orange and white and doing their best for our lads, I'm 100% for them.

I just think of that as being a fan. I know it seems pretty uncommon an approach these days, but I honestly think it used to be the norm to think that way about your team.

Go Vols!

I dont either, but I’m pretty damn sure based on what we’ve seen that the QB competition should be ended, and Milton handed the reigns without consequence.
I definitely don't think there is an ongoing QB competition anymore. Milton has the job and it's all on him off that changes. I don't understand why any real Vol fan would want him to fail. If he succeeds, the team also is likely to be successful.

There is a lot of talk about "Milton already played a lot at U Mich". Let's quantify that. He was there 3 years, but played a very limited amount the first two years. The third year was the shortened pandemic season, in which he played six games, and didn't really have a normal summer camp or spring camp leading up to it.

I'd say "he already played a lot" is a bit of an overstatement. No, he isn't a noob, but his time at Michigan is still a limited sample.

I'm not commenting on Milton's overall capability, so, not really "missing" anything.

I just keep hearing that Milton is "slow" and pushing back on that particular nugget.

Truth is, based on a paper comparison I prefer Hooker myself.

I definitely don't think there is an ongoing QB competition anymore. Milton has the job and it's all on him off that changes. I don't understand why any real Vol fan would want him to fail. If he succeeds, the team also is likely to be successful.

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. It's just that his opening night performance doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he's the guy. I hope he makes a big improvement from week 1 to week 2, I'm just not confident that he'll do it based on the amount of D1 college football he already has under his belt and what I saw in week 1.

What were the issues between Hooker's ears? In two seasons he was around a 64% passer with 22 TD's and 7 picks. He added almost 1000 yds rushing over two seasons with an avg ypc at around 4 (including sacks) and 14 more TD's. VT scored more than 30 ppg in both seasons he started games. Unfortunately their D allowed 32 last year and about 26 the year before.

I have no problem with Heupel or his process. But if Milton doesn't work out, Hooker is a very good option.
Word is he had severe anxiety issues.

Fail? I want a genuine competitive environment. If Milton were a 3rd year returning player with incontrovertible stats, sure, but that isn’t the case at all. Do you think one of the other QBs should have gotten a meaningful series in the first game or be completely blocked out like we saw?

I'm not commenting on Milton's overall capability, so, not really "missing" anything.

I just keep hearing that Milton is "slow" and pushing back on that particular nugget.

Truth is, based on a paper comparison I prefer Hooker myself.
200w.gif

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. It's just that his opening night performance doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that he's the guy. I hope he makes a big improvement from week 1 to week 2, I'm just not confident that he'll do it based on the amount of D1 college football he already has under his belt and what I saw in week 1.
He has D1 experience at Michigan under Harbaugh, who has yet to develop a successful QB in Ann Harbor. Shea Patterson looked worse under his tutelage.

Fail? I want a genuine competitive environment. If Milton were a 3rd year returning player with incontrovertible stats, sure, but that isn’t the case at all. Do you think one of the other QBs should have gotten a meaningful series in the first game or be completely blocked out like we saw?
The competitive environment happened in fall camp. Multiple VFL's were able to attend full practices and the 2 scrimmages, and stated all 3 guys had equal opportunity, and Milton was by far the most impressive. You earn your chances in camp. Real games don't work like a spring game.

Reactions: Raebo
Not to be rude, but Do you understand football stats? Considering a QB gets penalized with all sack stats as negative rushing yards, and considering his number of attempts is well over 200, we have a very good sample size. Josh Dobbs, the greatest rushing QB in Ut history averaged 4.9.

cool, I didn’t say anything about dobbs. Manziel, who I did mention avg over 6 per carry

and yes, I very much understand football stats…thanks for being rude. Just because you say, “not to be rude” doesn’t automatically give you a pass to then be rude

Lol @ all of you acting like any of these guys are really the answer at QB. There’s a reason hooker and Milton moved on from where they were. They are not complete players by any means.

but to think improved QB mobility is the key to improving the offense is a bit overrated IMO.

what will actually improve this offense is when they get a QB that can move some, but also is accurate and on time with the football. A guy that hits the deep throws and gives his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball

they don’t have that guy on the roster right now in reality

cool, I didn’t say anything about dobbs. Manziel, who I did mention avg over 6 per carry

and yes, I very much understand football stats…thanks for being rude. Just because you say, “not to be rude” doesn’t automatically give you a pass to then be rude
Ok, so you don’t. Manziel is an outlier, which the stats also support. No one has claimed Hooker is a Manziel. Statistically speaking he’s very close to Dobbs. Check it out.

I hope you aren’t making claims about Milton being so great, that the head coach was justified in shutting down competition and not even preparing a series with one of the other Qbs (because that is what happened).

The stats support everything I’ve stated and now you’re just being bottom hurt. This is the part where you try to shift the argument away from the actual stats and try to make it about getting your feelings hurt instead, right?

Lol @ all of you acting like any of these guys are really the answer at QB. There’s a reason hooker and Milton moved on from where they were. They are not complete players by any means.

but to think improved QB mobility is the key to improving the offense is a bit overrated IMO.

what will actually improve this offense is when they get a QB that can move some, but also is accurate and on time with the football. A guy that hits the deep throws and gives his receivers a chance to make a play on the ball

they don’t have that guy on the roster right now in reality
Fair enough. So, should there be an ongoing competition, yes or no??

It was Tee Martin’s 3rd year when he started against Syracuse. Granted, Milton did have a few starts at Michigan, but maybe he was coached up well there. I think all of the hand wringing is a bit premature.
Wasn’t Dwight Freeney on that Syracuse team we played, you know ProBowl DE Dwight Freeney?

VN Store

Back