'22 TN WR Xavier Gaillardetz

What's not clear in this video is, on the first pass play, the stiff arm he put on the second defender really showed his upper body strength. Because of the approach angle, instead of it slowing the defender, Xavier's stiff arm propelled himself forward and out of the tackler's reach.

This was the first game I've seen him not pull in a pass that he got at least one hand on. Happened in the first half. Haven't found the replay to know if that was on him or the defenders.

Then why be that guy. Why not try instead to get his film in front of someone since you’re a recruiting guru supposedly.

That's the point of my posting. I'm not advocating for Tennessee to get Gaillardetz--I'm advocating for the player, to get his abilities in front of people who do know and talk recruiting.

When parents are willing to send their son 1300 miles away to another country, knowing that their own country's COVID restrictions could potentially keep him from being able to come home until he graduates, just so he can have the opportunity to earn a scholarship to a better education from a US college--and he has only one season to show his wares...

Yeah. I don't mind getting outside of my comfort zone to help push that bandwagon.

That's the point of my posting. I'm not advocating for Tennessee to get Gaillardetz--I'm advocating for the player, to get his abilities in front of people who do know and talk recruiting.

When parents are willing to send their son 1300 miles away to another country, knowing that their own country's COVID restrictions could potentially keep him from being able to come home until he graduates, just so he can have the opportunity to earn a scholarship to a better education from a US college--and he has only one season to show his wares...

Yeah. I don't mind getting outside of my comfort zone to help push that bandwagon.
Do you have any relation to him? Just always wondered. News said he had like 9 TDs already

It's become very common for families to spend the college money on McCallie, so that their boy can earn a scholarship (academic, athletic, musical, etc.) beyond what the family would have been able to afford. And a good many McCallie students are able to be there because of financial aid.

I'm thinking of a skinny kid from Atlanta who is now playing football at Yale, having learned how to manage that academic load at McCallie. Setting the bar low elevates no one. (...pointing the finger at some public schools!)

Whether you're a coach, a teacher, or a supporter, there's no better investment than investing in a life.
Amen👍

From what I can see on film, and that recorded 100m time you posted.

He.just.needs to work.on his speed. Young guy with good body control.

Hope he continues to ball out!

Do you have any relation to him? Just always wondered.

No relation with Xavier, only a working relationship with the school--or rather, part of the school. Xavier I know by reputation, through people who do know him. But I've only spoken to him in passing. Kenzy Paul I have had some conversations with. Neither would know or suspect me of posting here on their behalf.

I'm much more familiar with college academic recruiting than athletic recruiting. If there are NCAA rules I'm in danger of crossing, please advise!

Ask anyone connected with the McCallie School football program to discuss senior wide receiver Xavier Gaillardetz's numerous contributions to its 11-0 season heading into Friday's TSSAA Division II-AAA semifinal against visiting Pope John Paul II, and his glue-fingered, suction-cup hands are sure to start the conversation. "Probably the best pair of hands I've ever coached," said the Blue Tornado's Ralph Potter, whose nearly 40 years as a high school coach includes two stints totaling 20 years at the top of the McCallie program, his alma mater.

"Xavier's bailed me out more than once," said senior quarterback William Riddle, a Tennessee Titans Mr. Football finalist. "Just get it near him and he catches it, no matter what." Added wide receiver and defensive back Kenzy Paul, a high-level Division I prospect, of his fellow Canadian when asked if he was glad he didn't have to cover Gaillardetz: "Definitely. He's a menace. He's a game changer."

McCallie's Xavier Gaillardetz is Chattanooga prep football's catch of year

Season stats so far: 58 receptions for 1,258 yards (22.2 avg) and 17 TDs...also averaging 21.3 yards per punt return.

I've been unable to update this thread, but I've been to his games, and I've become aware of experiencing something... something strangely nostalgic. Couldn't figure it out, since I neither played for McCallie, nor remember ever playing against them. It took me awhile to identify it. When a pass starts toward Gaillardetz, there's this sanguine, inner expectation of how--never if--he's going to catch this one.

Ahhh, yes. The last time I experienced that kind of anticipation was during the playing days of Larry Seivers.

When it's a 50/50 ball, and Xavier's well-covered... I actually experience a bit of sympathy for the defender. He's done everything right, he's in position, he goes up to high point the ball... but I know he's not coming down with it. I know it. The McCallie sideline knows it. Gaillardetz knows it, because he wills it. I've never seen such consistent, competitive focus from a high school player before. (Well, except for watching Peyton at Newman HS in NOLA--but you expect unrelenting focus from a QB, who's touching the ball on every play.)

There's a similar expectation when Gaillardetz is receiving a kickoff or a punt. It's the same anticipation I felt when Cordarrelle Patterson pulled in a kickoff, or when Bobby Majors returned a punt. Experience tells you that this one could easily go to the house.

He's good after the catch, too. Last week in a playoff game, he caught a 5 yard quick out near the sideline. The corner had him pinned against the sideline, totally textbook, and the safety was coming up fast to take away any reversing field move. He was isolated, so there were no potential blockers coming into the picture, only a laterally charging LB.

Xavier gave the corner... something--something imperceptible from where I was seated, not far away with an unobstructed view--and... he was gone. Up the sideline for a touchdown.

Still, the most impressive catch I've seen from Gaillardetz was on a simple play, early in the season, but on a catch I always thought was the hardest to make in football.

It was a simple 10-and-out route. He made a great cut, at speed, so the defender was still recovering 5 yards downfield and irrelevant as the pass was on the way. There was only the ball and the sideline. But, unusually for a Riddle pass, the ball started dying before it got there. Undefended, Xavier was moving toward the sideline with a slight downfield angle and leaning away from the ball, expecting to maximize yardage on the play. So he was falling away from the pass just as the pass was beginning to unexpectedly drop.

As a receiver in this situation, you just don't have any way to adjust and recover. All you can do is reach out and down as far as you can, and hope there's enough inertia to get the ball to your hands. But it usually falls to the ground after grazing the tips of your two middle fingers. To control a pass with just those two fingers requires you to catch it with those fingers exactly opposite of each other on the axis of the ball. (Think of grasping a yardstick with two hands using just your middle fingers--if they aren't exactly opposite of each other, you flip the yardstick.) To execute this with a spinning, prolate spheroid shaped object, which is in a dying trajectory, while you are moving diagonally away from it, combines a computer-full of angles and variables with about a second to decipher and respond. It has to be the hardest catch in football.

But Xavier caught it. He kept his focus and pulled that ball in with 2 pairs of fingertips, and no bobble. He made it look like Fred Biletnikoff with Stick-em.

I know he is outclassing his competition weekly, and will be playing for the state title in Chattanooga's Finley Stadium Dec. 2 against MBA. But how good does he project at the next level? I'd love to have seen Brandon Stokely in high school, to compare. Their games are similar, as they are in size and strength (though I doubt Stokely was as physically developed at this age as Gaillardetz is). How does Xavier compare in speed and quickness?

I'd love to hear what experienced scouts say. All I can say for certain is that he has dominated the field in every game I've seen, live or on video.

Last edited:

What's not clear in this video is, on the first pass play, the stiff arm he put on the second defender really showed his upper body strength. Because of the approach angle, instead of it slowing the defender, Xavier's stiff arm propelled himself forward and out of the tackler's reach.

This was the first game I've seen him not pull in a pass that he got at least one hand on. Happened in the first half. Haven't found the replay to know if that was on him or the defenders.

I was at that game. It’s always good to beat that red team.

Gaillardetz stats
58 catches for 1278 yards and 17 receiving TDs. He also has a punt return TD. He averages 23.6 yds per KO return and 21.3 yds per punt return.

McCallie is 11-0 and playing for the Division II Class AAA state championship next week. They are going for their 3rd straight championship.

Last edited:
Don't know/have any special interest in the kid, but this thread has intrigued me.

Being at a premier school in TN, exposure shouldn't be a huge issue from his HS team standpoint. He isn't playing in the sticks of some holler in TN. However, has he been in involved with any 7v7 or camps. Does he have a handler or anybody with connections that are advocating for him? Has he filled out questionnaires and sent hour a highlight tape? Not that pay for online crap, actually done persistent self marketing? Does he have a speed coach?

Not criticizing, but people don't really know how recruiting works. So much is about connections and relationship building and he seems late to the party with a lot of that.

Stats don't super matter in HS. For example, my bro his Jr year was a region mvp, all everything and heard only from small schools. He is 6'5, had a legit 40in vert and played qb. Stats were nuts. Then, a coach called a friend and he had Cutcliffe and Dooley pulling him out of class. He didn't go to either btw, but point being. They had never heard of him because he didn't get a ton of exposure. No handler, no 7v7, small school, small camps.

Football is a relationship based recruiting system. Most teams aren't scouting random HS games. They get recommendations and if you don't have someone recommending you, you better be self promoting and camping everywhere.

He’s a special player. Only being in the country for a year left him unheralded by the services, but he is good enough to play on Saturdays somewhere. It’s up to the coaches whether they think he’s an SEC level of player, but from what I’ve seen, I would say he is.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Next Thursday's championship game will present an opportunity for plenty of coaches, normally spread across the south on Friday nights, to see how he performs on a larger stage with something tangible on the line.

Someone's going to get a good player and a great addition to their locker room. I hear players talk first about what a great teammate he is, and then about his field exploits.

Reactions: perico

VN Store

Back